with CEU Certificate
One of the most important and intimidating steps in the job search process is writing a solid resume that gets the attention you want and need. Unfortunately, many job seekers get overwhelmed before they even get started. The result is poorly-written resumes that are built on top of templates that don't do the job seeker any good.
Today, resumes must appeal to potential employers while also being optimized for the electronic age. Whether you are handing a resume over in person or are emailing an electronic copy to be added to an online database, the words you use and the formatting you choose will make a big difference in whether or not you get that interview.
This course teaches you not just what a resume should look like, but what it should say. It walks you step-by-step through the creation of the most common sections found on resumes in today's job market. In addition to helping you determine what information should be included, it also goes a step further to help you realize what pitfalls to avoid when creating this powerful, job-searching tool.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1 - An Introduction to the ResumeThis lesson discusses what you can expect to learn throughout this course, including what a resume is and why it is important.
Lesson 2 - Types of ResumesThis lesson discusses the four basic types of resumes, including chronological, functional, combination, and cirricula vitae.
Lesson 3 - Preparing to Write Your ResumeIn this lesson you will learn about what type of information you should gather in order to prepare your resume.
Lesson 4 - PresentationThis lesson focuses on the look of your resume, including paper types, length, and using a template.
Lesson 5 - Professional Objective and Education SectionThis lesson focuses on crafting your professional objective and your educational experience.
Lesson 6 - ExperienceThis lesson discusses what type of experiences you should include on your resume.
Lesson 7 - Skills SectionThis lesson focuses on determining what type of skills you should include on your resume and how to present them.
Lesson 8 - Honors and AwardsThis lesson focuses on identifying and listing honors and awards on your resume.
Lesson 9 - Activities and InterestsThis lesson looks at what activities and interests you may want to consider adding to your resume, and how to fit them in.
Lesson 10 - Bolstering Your ResumeThis lesson looks at ways you can bolster your resume to make your experience more relevant or if you lack job experience.
Lesson 11 - Polishing Your ResumeThis lesson focuses on what you can do to polish your resume, including making it stand out and what to avoid.
Lesson 12 - Cover LettersThis lesson discusses cover letters, including what it is, what should be included, and how to format one.
Lesson 13 - Resumes in the Digital AgeThis lesson focuses on issues around digital formats, including scanning, using keyworks, and resume alternatives.
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Define what a resume is and its purpose.
- Define types of resumes.
- Prepare to write your resume.
- Draft a resume for presentation.
- Develop the Professional Objective and Education Sections of your resume.
- Develop the Experience Section of your resume.
- Develop the Skills Section of your resume.
- Develop the Honors and Awards Section of your resume.
- Define the Activities and Interests Section of your resume.
- Summarize ways to bolster your resume appropriately.
- Polish your resume.
- Create a cover letter, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment: Defining a Resume||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 1 - An Introduction to the Resume||Exam||10|
|Lesson 2 Assignment: Choosing the best type of resume||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 2 - Types of Resumes||Exam||10|
|Lesson 3 Assignment: Gathering Information||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 3 - Preparing to Write Your Resume||Exam||9|
|Lesson 4 Assignment: Narrowing down your presentation||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 4 - Presentation||Exam||10|
|Lesson 5 Assignment: Writing an objective and educational section||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 5 - Professional Objective and Education Section||Exam||9|
|Lesson 6 Assignment: Evaluating Experience||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 6 - Experience||Exam||10|
|Lesson 7 Assignment: Creating a skills section||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 7 - Skills Section||Exam||10|
|Lesson 8 Assignment: Identifying Honors and Awards||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 8 - Honors and Awards||Exam||9|
|Lesson 9 Assignment: Identifying activities for your resume||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 9 - Activities and Interests||Exam||10|
|Lesson 10 Assignment: Identifying areas to be bolstered||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 10 - Bolstering Your Resume||Exam||9|
|Lesson 11 Assignment: Putting it all together||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 11 - Polishing Your Resume||Exam||9|
|Lesson 12 Assignment: Writing a cover letter||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 12 - Cover Letters||Exam||10|
|Lesson 13 Assignment: Evaluating alternatives||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 13 - Resumes in the Digital Age||Exam||9|
|The Final Exam||Exam||62|
- Effective Communication 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Effective Presentations$60.001.1 CEUs
- Interview Skills 101$60.001.0 CEUs
- Managing Your Career$60.000.6 CEUs
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures$90.002.9 CEUs
- Writing Improvement 101$90.001.3 CEUs
- Basic Research Skills$55.001.0 CEUs
- Business Math 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Understanding Business Administration 101$70.001.1 CEUs
- ABCs of Technical Writing$65.001.1 CEUs
- Freelance Writing 101$65.001.2 CEUs
- Travel Writing 101$70.001.0 CEUs
- Business Writing Basics$75.001.9 CEUs
- Spelling 101$55.001.5 CEUs
- Punctuation and Grammar 101$70.001.2 CEUs