Online Class: Resume Writing 101
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this course
One of the most important and intimidating steps in the job search process is writing a solid resume that gets the attention you want and need. Unfortunately, many job seekers get overwhelmed before they even get started. The result is poorly-written resumes that are built on top of templates that don't do the job seeker any good.
Today, resumes must appeal to potential employers while also being optimized for the electronic age. Whether you are handing a resume over in person or are emailing an electronic copy to be added to an online database, the words you use and the formatting you choose will make a big difference in whether or not you get that interview.
This course teaches you not just what a resume should look like, but what it should say. It walks you step-by-step through the creation of the most common sections found on resumes in today's job market. In addition to helping you determine what information should be included, it also goes a step further to help you realize what pitfalls to avoid when creating this powerful, job-searching tool.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1. An Introduction to the ResumeThis lesson discusses what you can expect to learn throughout this course, including what a resume is and why it is important.
Lesson 2. Types of ResumesThis lesson discusses the four basic types of resumes, including chronological, functional, combination, and cirricula vitae.
Lesson 3. Preparing to Write Your ResumeIn this lesson you will learn about what type of information you should gather to prepare your resume.
Lesson 4. PresentationThis lesson focuses on the look of your resume, including paper types, length, and using a template.
Lesson 5. Professional Objective and Education SectionThis lesson focuses on crafting your professional objective and your educational experience.
Lesson 6. ExperienceThis lesson discusses what type of experiences you should include on your resume.
Lesson 7. Skills SectionThis lesson focuses on determining what type of skills you should include on your resume and how to present them.
Lesson 8. Honors and AwardsThis lesson focuses on identifying and listing honors and awards on your resume.
Lesson 9. Activities and InterestsThis lesson looks at what activities and interests you may want to consider adding to your resume, and how to fit them in.
Lesson 10. Bolstering Your ResumeThis lesson looks at ways that you can bolster your resume to make your experience more relevant or if you lack job experience.
Lesson 11. Polishing Your ResumeThis lesson focuses on what you can do to polish your resume, including making it stand out and what to avoid.
Lesson 12. Cover LettersThis lesson discusses the cover letter, including what it is, what should be included, and how to format one.
Lesson 13. Resumes in the Digital AgeThis lesson focuses on issues around digital formats, including scanning, using keywords, and resume alternatives.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Resume Writing 101Course Number: 8900119Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: How ToCEU Value: 1.2 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: resumewriting.onlineclasses.comInstructor: Daphnee St.ValSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $50.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $75.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Define what a resume is and its purpose.
- Define types of resumes.
- Prepare to write your resume.
- Draft a resume for presentation.
- Develop the Professional Objective and Education Sections of your resume.
- Develop the Experience Section of your resume.
- Develop the Skills Section of your resume.
- Develop the Honors and Awards Section of your resume.
- Define the Activities and Interests Section of your resume.
- Summarize ways to bolster your resume appropriately.
- Polish your resume.
- Create a cover letter, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
An Introduction Assignment 1 Lesson 1 Assignment: Defining a Resume Assignment 20 Quiz for Lesson 1 - An Introduction to the Resume Exam 10 Lesson 2 Assignment: Choosing the best type of resume Assignment 20 Quiz for Lesson 2 - Types of Resumes Exam 10 Lesson 3 Assignment: Gathering Information Assignment 20 Quiz for Lesson 3 - Preparing to Write Your Resume Exam 9 Lesson 4 Assignment: Narrowing down your presentation Assignment 20 Quiz for Lesson 4 - Presentation Exam 10 Lesson 5 Assignment: Writing an objective and educational section Assignment 20 Quiz for Lesson 5 - Professional Objective and Education Section Exam 9 Lesson 6 Assignment: Evaluating Experience Assignment 20 Quiz for Lesson 6 - Experience Exam 10 Lesson 7 Assignment: Creating a skills section Assignment 20 Quiz for Lesson 7 - Skills Section Exam 10 Lesson 8 Assignment: Identifying Honors and Awards Assignment 20 Quiz for Lesson 8 - Honors and Awards Exam 9 Lesson 9 Assignment: Identifying activities for your resume Assignment 20 Quiz for Lesson 9 - Activities and Interests Exam 10 Lesson 10 Assignment: Identifying areas to be bolstered Assignment 20 Quiz for Lesson 10 - Bolstering Your Resume Exam 9 Lesson 11 Assignment: Putting it all together Assignment 20 Quiz for Lesson 11 - Polishing Your Resume Exam 9 Lesson 12 Assignment: Writing a cover letter Assignment 20 Quiz for Lesson 12 - Cover Letters Exam 10 Lesson 13 Assignment: Evaluating alternatives Assignment 20 Quiz for Lesson 13 - Resumes in the Digital Age Exam 9 The Final Exam Exam 62 Total Points: 447
- "All parts of the course were helpful - each lesson was broken into a small section that focused on one main point. This was very easy to follow, and each lesson built on the previous lesson....I learned a great deal about the topics covered." -- Lindsey B.
- "Thank you very much for the great information. I found it very helpful. It has been 15 years since I did my only resume so I really needed the help. A lot has changed in that amount of time with technology advances." -- Elaine S.
- "I thought the most helpful part of the course was how the instructor had the lessons laid out. It was nice and made writing a resume easier the way she split each section of a resume up and had you prepare each section as we went. At the end all you had to do is piece together the sections from the lessons you wanted in your final resume and you had a full functional "professional" style resume to send out to a potential employer...VERY GOOD JOB BY THE INSTRUCTOR!!!!" -- Terry E.
- "I really enjoyed it, look forward to doing it again." -- Wayne B.
- "The lectures held a lot of information that was very helpful. The exam was a back-up to make sure you understood the material." -- Lisa J.
- "It was very helpful to be able to work step-by-step to complete my resume. Each lesson invited me to really reflect on my past accomplishments and helped me zero-in on my future goals." -- Patricia F.