with CEU Certificate*
Public and Motivational speaking is often a cause for anxiety for millions of people, and it need not be. With the proper preparation, knowledge, and mindset, you can become an extremely effective public speaker.
Public and motivational speakers are in very high demand in today's society, and they are a part of nearly everyone's daily life. Effective public speaking opens many opportunities for those willing to increase their ability in this important skill.
In this course, you will learn how to deliver your message clearly to an audience. We will include advice from professionals on how to inform, entertain, and motivate an audience into action. This advice includes how to combat stage fright and banish it forever, what elements to include in an effective speech, how to research an audience before you arrive, how to develop your own style, how to organize a speech's structure, how and when to use visual aids, how to control and train your voice, and more.
We will also cover other aspects of public speaking such as nonverbal communication, and how to best prepare yourself questions from an audience. Other topics include how to give your best delivery when problems arise and how to deal with foreign audiences. This comprehensive course will give you the self-confidence you need to be an excellent speaker.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1. Confronting Your FearsIn scientific terms, it is called the "fight or flight syndrome," and we all know it well: the racing heartbeat, the sweaty palms, and the feeling of heightened anxiety.
Lesson 2. Characteristics of Effective CommunicationIn this chapter, we will examine what traits are required for effective communication, but it will be helpful to first clearly define communication.
Lesson 3. Knowing Your AudienceOne of the most important and fundamental steps before delivering a speech is for a speaker to know the needs of their audience.
Lesson 4. Choosing the Topic and Structure of a SpeechEven if you have been invited to give a speech and have been given some general guidelines on what to cover in your speech,it is entirely up to you to choose the theme and to keep focused on this theme throughout your entire speech.
Lesson 5. Persuasive and Motivational Speech PrinciplesEffective motivational speakers are in extremely high demand. Companies need them to sell their products, and organizations need them to deliver their message to a sometimes hard-to-reach audience.
Lesson 6. Developing Your StyleEvery person is unique and, therefore, everyone has their own style of public speaking.
Lesson 7. Outlining and Organizing Your SpeechIn addition to ensuring that your main points are expressed, an outline will have a significant effect on decreasing your anxiety in giving a speech.
Lesson 8. Writing Your Speech. The OpenerIn this chapter, you will learn how to best introduce yourself that is appropriate for your audience, your topic, and your style.
Lesson 9. Writing Your Speech. The Body and ConclusionIn this chapter, we will briefly discuss the writing process for drafting the body of your speech and its conclusion by using various literary and rhetorical methods.
Lesson 10. Speaking to Entertain an AudienceNot all speeches need to inform or motivate an audience, but entertaining speeches, just like all other types of speeches, still need to follow some organizational structure.
Lesson 11. How and When to Use Visual AidsIn this chapter, we will discuss how to effectively use visual aids and when it is necessary to use them.
Lesson 12. Controlling Your VoiceIn this chapter, we will discuss your voice's quality, articulation, rate, pitch, rhythm, clarity, and inflection.
Lesson 13. Rehearsing Your SpeechOne of the most important benefits of rehearsing a speech is the building of self-confidence.
Lesson 14. Body Language and International CustomsIn this chapter, we will discuss how to use nonverbal communication effectively.
Lesson 15. Making Your Best Delivery Even When Problems AriseIn the last chapter, we discussed how to approach the stage and give the audience a moment to look at you before you begin speaking. Smile, take a deep breath, and let us begin.
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Confront your fears of public speaking.
- Describe characteristics of effective communication.
- Know your audience.
- Choose the topic and structure of a speech.
- Describe persuasive and motivational speech principles.
- Develop your own style.
- Outline and organize your speech.
- Demonstrate writing your speech.
- Speak to entertain an audience.
- Summarize how and when to use visual aids.
- Control your voice.
- Rehearse your speech.
- Recognize body language and international customs.
- Summarize ways to make your best delivery even when problems arise, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 1: Confronting Your Fears||Exam||10|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 2: Characteristics of Effective Communication||Exam||10|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 3: Knowing Your Audience||Exam||10|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 4: Choosing the Topic and Structure of a Speech||Exam||9|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 5: Persuasive and Motivational Speech Principles||Exam||10|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 6: Developing Your Style||Exam||10|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 7: Outlining and Organizing Your Speech||Exam||9|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 8: Writing Your Speech: The Opener||Exam||10|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 9: Writing Your Speech: The Body and Conclusion||Exam||10|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 10: Speaking to Entertain an Audience||Exam||10|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 11: How and When to Use Visual Aids||Exam||10|
|Lesson 12 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 12: Controlling Your Voice||Exam||9|
|Lesson 13 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 13: Rehearsing Your Speech||Exam||10|
|Lesson 14 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 14: Body Language and International Customs||Exam||10|
|Lesson 15 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 15: Making Your Best Delivery Even When Problems Arise||Exam||10|
|The Final Exam||Exam||44|
- Dealing With Difficult People$75.001.0 CEUs
- Leadership and Supervision 101$75.001.0 CEUs
- Assertiveness Training$65.001.1 CEUs
- Listening Skills 101$55.001.2 CEUs
- Interview Skills$60.000.6 CEUs
- Running Effective Meetings$50.000.7 CEUs
- Microsoft Project 2013$60.001.0 CEUs
- Microsoft Visio 2013$65.001.0 CEUs
- Healthy Relationships$50.000.9 CEUs
- Communication with Diplomacy and Tact$60.000.5 CEUs
- Managing Your Career$60.000.6 CEUs
- Confidence Building$55.000.7 CEUs
- Etiquette 101$65.000.7 CEUs
- Public Relations 101$65.001.1 CEUs
- Effective Communication 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Etiquette for Children and Teens$55.000.6 CEUs
- Persuasion Techniques$65.000.7 CEUs
- Negotiation Skills$75.000.8 CEUs
- Conflict Resolution 101$75.000.9 CEUs
- Effective Presentations$60.000.6 CEUs
- Time Management 101$65.000.7 CEUs
- Project Management 101$90.000.8 CEUs
- Motivational and Public Speaking 101$70.001.4 CEUs