with CEU Certificate*
"Basic Research Skills" teaches you how to determine what you need to know when you need to know it. With all of the information readily available today, it's difficult to decipher good information from bad information. Instead of turning to an Internet search engine for all of your information, there are other sources that can help you learn what you need to learn – quickly and accurately. This course will cover library use, the Dewey Decimal System, dictionary use, thesaurus use, encyclopedias, Internet search engines, Internet news resources, Internet publications, journals, and bibliographies.
With this information, you can research any topic, no matter the purpose or the goal. Instead of simply looking in one place for the answer you need, why not learn how to use all of the tools available? The more you know, the more you can use this information in your everyday life.
"Basic Research Skills" includes real life strategies to help you learn where you need to look for information and how you can be certain the information is accurate.
Each of the 11 lessons include 5 True and False questions and 5 multiple choice questions at the end of each section. These questions are designed to ensure you retain the main concepts before you move onto a new lesson. In each lesson, you will learn what the selected research skill is, how to use it, and other tips as to how to improve your researching abilities.
With "Basic Research Skills," you will be able to find information in a variety of ways, ensuring no question goes unanswered.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: Why Research Is ImportantThough the Internet is a valuable tool, it is not the only research skill a person needs in order to find the facts.
Lesson 2: Library UseThough it might sound strange, many people have forgotten about using the library.
Lesson 3: Dewey Decimal SystemOrganizing reference books is difficult when there is no system. While some people might prefer books to be organized by authors, when you are organizing reference books.
Lesson 4: A DictionaryMany people may not think about a dictionary as being a reference book, but it can help you begin to understand not only the words you might not know, but also how they can be used in a paper, project, or article.
Lesson 5: A ThesaurusLike a dictionary, a thesaurus can help you to expand the way that you discuss your topic. A thesaurus contains groupings of words that are collected in terms of their meaning.
Lesson 6: Encyclopedias, Almanacs, and AtlasesBefore the time of the Internet, there were other ways one could research specific topics.
Lesson 7: Internet Search EnginesThe Internet is often the first place many people go when they need to do research.
Lesson 8: Internet News SourcesWhen you get online in the morning, one of the first things you might do is go onto a news site to find out what has happened in the world.
Lesson 9: Internet Magazines, Blogs, and ImagesResearch is not always about gathering facts. Sometimes you need to do research in order to formulate an opinion about a topic.
Lesson 10: Journals, Papers, and MoreWhen researching academic topics, it can help to look at journals, papers, and other academic publications.
Lesson 11: BibliographiesWhen someone else has already done research on a topic, it makes sense that the person keeps track of what they used.
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe why research is important.
- Describe library use.
- Describe dewey decimal system.
- Demonstrate dictionary usage.
- Demonstrate thesaurus usage.
- Demonstrate encyclopedias, almanacs, and atlases usage.
- Demonstrate internet search engines usage for research.
- Identify Internet news sources.
- Identify internet magazines, blogs, and images.
- Identify journals, papers, and more.
- Summarize bibliographies and their usage in research, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 1: Why Research Is Important||Exam||10|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 2: Library Use||Exam||8|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 3: Dewey Decimal System||Exam||9|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 4: A Dictionary||Exam||10|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 5: A Thesaurus||Exam||7|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 6: Encyclopedias, Almanacs, And Atlases||Exam||8|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 7: Internet Search Engines||Exam||10|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 8: Internet News Sources||Exam||9|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 9: Internet Magazines, Blogs, And Images||Exam||10|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 10: Journals, Papers, And More||Exam||10|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 11: Bibliographies||Exam||10|
|The Final Exam||Exam||52|
- ABCs of Technical Writing$65.001.1 CEUs
- Proofreading and Copyediting 101$75.001.2 CEUs
- Essay Writing 101$80.001.1 CEUs
- American History Review$95.001.3 CEUs
- Computer Basics 101$60.000.6 CEUs
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures$90.002.9 CEUs
- Career Coaching$65.001.4 CEUs
- Twenty Women Who Changed American History$75.000.8 CEUs
- American Heroes and Villains$75.000.8 CEUs
- Social Media 101: How to Use Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn$55.000.5 CEUs
- Basic Math 101$75.002.1 CEUs
- Basic Research Skills$55.000.8 CEUs
- Basic Parenting 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Internet Fundamentals 101$55.000.4 CEUs
- Spelling 101$55.001.1 CEUs
- ESL Basic Writing Skills$65.001.1 CEUs
- Time Management 101$65.000.7 CEUs