Freelance Writing 101
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this course
If you have ever dreamed of being a freelance writer this course is for you. Get started today learning about this exciting field and in no time you can be on your way to earning a living, extra income, and more, by doing something that you love – writing!
Chock-full of all the inside information you need to understand the career field and be successful in it, this course can teach you what freelancing writing is, how much you can expect to make, how to find markets, creating successful queries, what to do once you get an assignment, and how to market your skills. You will also learn some of the tools of the trade that will help you be successful, such as how to build a portfolio, where to get ideas and topics from, common writing rules that are outdated, and various ways you can increase your earnings as a writer.
This course will not only give you a look at everything you need to know to become a freelance writer, but when you finish, you will be ready to put what you learn into action to build a freelance writing career. Whether you would like to freelance on a full time basis, do it to supplement your current income, or learn freelance writing skills to get your product or service noticed, this is the place to start!
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1 : An Introduction to Freelance WritingThis first lesson focuses on what freelance writing is, defining a purpose, and setting realistic goals.
Lesson 2: Determining What to WriteThis lesson looks at what you should consider writing, including a look at fiction vs. nonfiction writing, specializing, and deciding what to write.
Lesson 3: Money MattersThis lesson focuses on the money matters that pertain to freelance writing, such as how much you can make, setting your rates, and more.
Lesson 4: Finding MarketsThis lesson looks at the different ways to find markets in which to sell your writing services, including online sources.
Lesson 5: The Query or ProposalThis lesson covers the query or proposal, including what it is, what is included, and samples.
Lesson 6: Making the SaleThis lesson looks at what to do once you make the sale, including contracts, deadlines, and publication rights.
Lesson 7: Marketing Your SkillsThis lesson looks at the importance of marketing your writing skills and ways in which you can do it.
Lesson 8: Building Your PortfolioThis lesson looks at ways you can build your portfolio, especially if you are new to freelance writing.
Lesson 9: Generating Ideas and Conducting InterviewsThis lesson looks at how you can generate ideas and conduct interviews of sources.
Lesson 10: Outdated RulesThis lesson looks at some of the outdated freelance writing rules that tend to turn up over and over in the field.
Lesson 11: Ways to Increase Your Earnings as a WriterThis lesson looks at some of the ways in which you can increase your earnings as a writer, including branching out in different areas and offering new services.
Lesson 12: Hanging Out Your ShingleThis lesson looks at taking the steps to get started freelancing and issues you should first consider.
Lesson 13: Freelance Tools and ResourcesThis lesson provides resources and tools that can be helpful to freelance writers.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Freelance Writing 101Course Number: 7550289Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: How ToCEU Value: 1.2 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: freelancewriting.onlineclasses.comInstructor: Melissa BehrendSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $65.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $90.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Determine what to write.
- Determine compensation.
- Find writing markets.
- Create a query or proposal.
- Describe making the sale.
- Describe marketing your skills.
- Describe building your portfolio.
- Describe generating ideas and conducting interviews.
- Describe ways to increase your earnings as a writer, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
An Introduction Assignment 5 Lesson 1 Assignment Assignment 30 Lesson 1: An Introduction to Freelance Writing Exam 10 Lesson 2 Assignment Assignment 20 Lesson 2: Determining What to Write Exam 9 Lesson 3 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 3: Money Matters Exam 8 Lesson 4 Assignment Assignment 20 Lesson 4: Finding Markets Exam 10 Lesson 5 Assignment Assignment 30 Lesson 5: The Query or Proposal Exam 10 Lesson 6 Assignment Assignment 20 Lesson 6: Making the Sale Exam 10 Lesson 7 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 7: Marketing Your Skills Exam 10 Lesson 8 Assignment Assignment 30 Lesson 8: Building Your Portfolio Exam 10 Lesson 9 Assignment Assignment 40 Lesson 9: Generating Ideas and Conducting Interviews Exam 10 Lesson 10 Assignment Assignment 45 Lesson 10: Outdated Rules Exam 10 Lesson 11 Assignment Assignment 35 Lesson 11: Ways to Increase Your Earnings as a Writer Exam 9 Lesson 12 Assignment Assignment 20 Lesson 12: Hanging Out Your Shingle Exam 10 Lesson 13 Assignment Assignment 15 Lesson 13: Freelance Tools and Resources Exam 10 The Final Exam Exam 620 Total Points: 1106
- "This course helped me organize my thoughts on the subject." -- Martin B.
- "It was easy to understand." -- Bonnie F.
- "The instructor graded my assignments and exams with record speed. I was never left wondering how I performed and she took the time to give encouraging comments to keep moving forward!" -- Damaris A.
- "All of it was helpful." -- Gandlyn R.
- "The lessons were very well put together and allowed me to quickly learn the material and move on. It was easy to take notes and retain the information. I really appreciated how quickly the instructor was able to grade assignments and exams. She also did a great job of putting together a quality course with lots of beneficial material." -- Elizabeth K.
- "I think this course truly helped me to figure out exactly what it was I looking for in the freelance world, and I had no clue before! I have already applied to a newspaper to be a side-columnist, and have a good shot at the job thanks to the information I received here. Bravo!" -- Andrea G.
- "All lessons were beneficial." -- Rabab M.
- View More Testimonials...