with CEU Certificate*
If you have ever dreamed of being a freelance writer this course is for you. Get started today learning about this exciting field and in no time you can be on your way to earning a living, extra income, and more, by doing something that you love – writing!
Chock-full of all the inside information you need to understand the career field and be successful in it, this course can teach you what freelancing writing is, how much you can expect to make, how to find markets, creating successful queries, what to do once you get an assignment, and how to market your skills. You will also learn some of the tools of the trade that will help you be successful, such as how to build a portfolio, where to get ideas and topics from, common writing rules that are outdated, and various ways you can increase your earnings as a writer.
This course will not only give you a look at everything you need to know to become a freelance writer, but when you finish, you will be ready to put what you learn into action to build a freelance writing career. Whether you would like to freelance on a full time basis, do it to supplement your current income, or learn freelance writing skills to get your product or service noticed, this is the place to start!
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1 : An Introduction to Freelance WritingThis first lesson focuses on what freelance writing is, defining a purpose, and setting realistic goals.
Lesson 2: Determining What to WriteThis lesson looks at what you should consider writing, including a look at fiction vs. nonfiction writing, specializing, and deciding what to write.
Lesson 3: Money MattersThis lesson focuses on the money matters that pertain to freelance writing, such as how much you can make, setting your rates, and more.
Lesson 4: Finding MarketsThis lesson looks at the different ways to find markets in which to sell your writing services, including online sources.
Lesson 5: The Query or ProposalThis lesson covers the query or proposal, including what it is, what is included, and samples.
Lesson 6: Making the SaleThis lesson looks at what to do once you make the sale, including contracts, deadlines, and publication rights.
Lesson 7: Marketing Your SkillsThis lesson looks at the importance of marketing your writing skills and ways in which you can do it.
Lesson 8: Building Your PortfolioThis lesson looks at ways you can build your portfolio, especially if you are new to freelance writing.
Lesson 9: Generating Ideas and Conducting InterviewsThis lesson looks at how you can generate ideas and conduct interviews of sources.
Lesson 10: Outdated RulesThis lesson looks at some of the outdated freelance writing rules that tend to turn up over and over in the field.
Lesson 11: Ways to Increase Your Earnings as a WriterThis lesson looks at some of the ways in which you can increase your earnings as a writer, including branching out in different areas and offering new services.
Lesson 12: Hanging Out Your ShingleThis lesson looks at taking the steps to get started freelancing and issues you should first consider.
Lesson 13: Freelance Tools and ResourcesThis lesson provides resources and tools that can be helpful to freelance writers.
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Determine what to write.
- Determine compensation.
- Find writing markets.
- Create a query or proposal.
- Describe making the sale.
- Describe marketing your skills.
- Describe building your portfolio.
- Describe generating ideas and conducting interviews.
- Describe ways to increase your earnings as a writer, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 1: An Introduction to Freelance Writing||Exam||10|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 2: Determining What to Write||Exam||9|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 3: Money Matters||Exam||8|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 4: Finding Markets||Exam||10|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 5: The Query or Proposal||Exam||10|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 6: Making the Sale||Exam||10|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 7: Marketing Your Skills||Exam||10|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 8: Building Your Portfolio||Exam||10|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||40|
|Lesson 9: Generating Ideas and Conducting Interviews||Exam||10|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||45|
|Lesson 10: Outdated Rules||Exam||10|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||35|
|Lesson 11: Ways to Increase Your Earnings as a Writer||Exam||9|
|Lesson 12 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 12: Hanging Out Your Shingle||Exam||10|
|Lesson 13 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 13: Freelance Tools and Resources||Exam||10|
|The Final Exam||Exam||620|
- Creative Writing for Beginners$90.001.4 CEUs
- Writing Women's Fiction$90.001.0 CEUs
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures$90.002.9 CEUs
- Resume Writing 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Historical Fiction Writing$90.002.3 CEUs
- Paranormal Romance Writing$90.001.0 CEUs
- Writing Effective Persuasion$60.001.2 CEUs
- Novel Writing 101$90.002.2 CEUs
- Writing Improvement 101$90.001.3 CEUs
- Poetry Writing 101$90.001.7 CEUs
- Essay Writing 101$80.001.1 CEUs
- Creative Writing Workshop$90.001.3 CEUs
- Journaling and Memoir Writing$90.001.1 CEUs
- ABCs of Technical Writing$65.001.1 CEUs
- How to Write a Grant Proposal$75.001.5 CEUs
- How to Write Short Stories for Children$90.001.1 CEUs
- Creative Writing 101$90.001.9 CEUs
- Advertising, Marketing and Sales Writing$90.001.2 CEUs
- How to Write a Short Story$90.001.1 CEUs
- Mystery Writing$90.001.2 CEUs
- Romance Writing$90.001.2 CEUs
- Nonfiction Writing 101$90.001.2 CEUs
- Travel Writing 101$90.001.0 CEUs
- Humor Writing 101$90.001.1 CEUs
- Writing the Great American Short Story$90.000.5 CEUs
- Business Writing Basics$75.001.9 CEUs
- English Composition 101$65.001.1 CEUs
- How to Write a Business Plan$65.000.9 CEUs