Freelance Writing 101
with CEU Certificate*
0Studentshave taken this course
If you have ever dreamed of being a freelance writer this course is for you. Get started today learning about this exciting field and in no time you can be on your way to earning a living, extra income, and more, by doing something that you love – writing!
Chock-full of all the inside information you need to understand the career field and be successful in it, this course can teach you what freelancing writing is, how much you can expect to make, how to find markets, creating successful queries, what to do once you get an assignment, and how to market your skills. You will also learn some of the tools of the trade that will help you be successful, such as how to build a portfolio, where to get ideas and topics from, common writing rules that are outdated, and various ways you can increase your earnings as a writer.
This course will not only give you a look at everything you need to know to become a freelance writer, but when you finish, you will be ready to put what you learn into action to build a freelance writing career. Whether you would like to freelance on a full time basis, do it to supplement your current income, or learn freelance writing skills to get your product or service noticed, this is the place to start!
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More Information
Lesson 1 : An Introduction to Freelance WritingThis first lesson focuses on what freelance writing is, defining a purpose, and setting realistic goals.
Lesson 2: Determining What to WriteThis lesson looks at what you should consider writing, including a look at fiction vs. nonfiction writing, specializing, and deciding what to write.
Lesson 3: Money MattersThis lesson focuses on the money matters that pertain to freelance writing, such as how much you can make, setting your rates, and more.
Lesson 4: Finding MarketsThis lesson looks at the different ways to find markets in which to sell your writing services, including online sources.
Lesson 5: The Query or ProposalThis lesson covers the query or proposal, including what it is, what is included, and samples.
Lesson 6: Making the SaleThis lesson looks at what to do once you make the sale, including contracts, deadlines, and publication rights.
Lesson 7: Marketing Your SkillsThis lesson looks at the importance of marketing your writing skills and ways in which you can do it.
Lesson 8: Building Your PortfolioThis lesson looks at ways you can build your portfolio, especially if you are new to freelance writing.
Lesson 9: Generating Ideas and Conducting InterviewsThis lesson looks at how you can generate ideas and conduct interviews of sources.
Lesson 10: Outdated RulesThis lesson looks at some of the outdated freelance writing rules that tend to turn up over and over in the field.
Lesson 11: Ways to Increase Your Earnings as a WriterThis lesson looks at some of the ways in which you can increase your earnings as a writer, including branching out in different areas and offering new services.
Lesson 12: Hanging Out Your ShingleThis lesson looks at taking the steps to get started freelancing and issues you should first consider.
Lesson 13: Freelance Tools and ResourcesThis lesson provides resources and tools that can be helpful to freelance writers.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- Determine what to write.
- Determine compensation.
- Find writing markets.
- Create a query or proposal.
- Describe making the sale.
- Describe marketing your skills.
- Describe building your portfolio.
- Describe generating ideas and conducting interviews.
- Describe ways to increase your earnings as a writer, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 1: An Introduction to Freelance Writing||Exam||10|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 2: Determining What to Write||Exam||9|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 3: Money Matters||Exam||8|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 4: Finding Markets||Exam||10|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 5: The Query or Proposal||Exam||10|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 6: Making the Sale||Exam||10|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 7: Marketing Your Skills||Exam||10|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 8: Building Your Portfolio||Exam||10|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||40|
|Lesson 9: Generating Ideas and Conducting Interviews||Exam||10|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||45|
|Lesson 10: Outdated Rules||Exam||10|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||35|
|Lesson 11: Ways to Increase Your Earnings as a Writer||Exam||9|
|Lesson 12 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 12: Hanging Out Your Shingle||Exam||10|
|Lesson 13 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 13: Freelance Tools and Resources||Exam||10|
|The Final Exam||Exam||620|
- "I think this course truly helped me to figure out exactly what it was I looking for in the freelance world, and I had no clue before! I have already applied to a newspaper to be a side-columnist, and have a good shot at the job thanks to the information I received here. Bravo!" -- Andrea G.
- "All lessons were beneficial." -- Rabab M.
- "The course material was extremely helpful. " -- David H.
- "The course was excellent, the instructors sense of humor made the lessons memorable. I found the written assignments to be very helpful. The netlinks were fantastic." -- Patricia H.
- "The instructor presented many hints and facts from her experiences which were extremely helpful to me in understanding what it takes to be a freelance writer. I have many notes saved from this class and will definitely use them in the future! Again, I enjoyed the course and learned a lot which will be helpful to me as a freelance writer. Thank you very much for offering it!" -- Shanon T.
- "Melissa was very prompt in grading the tests and written assignments. The instructor gave encouraging comments. Much of the supplemental reading materials added to the lessons and their content. The information on marketing skills, especially that on portfolios, was very helpful." -- Larry M.
- "I loved the assignments. It really helped me to understand about freelance writing and helped my writing improve. The instructor is AWESOME! I will be taking more classes she instructs. Melissa is very knowledgeable and helpful!" -- Donna N.
- View More Testimonials...