with CEU Certificate*
Technical writing is the art and science of translating technical information into readable, accessible writing usable by a wide audience. If you have ever read the user's manual for a piece of software or equipment you've purchased, you've seen technical writing in action. Creating manuals, help and technical support systems, online help systems, and instruction manuals are some of the main projects technical writers take on. Since nearly every business in every industry imaginable has at least an occasional need to bring technical information to its users and customers, technical writing is found in nearly every business, government agency, and non-profit organization.
If you work in a high tech industry, technical writing may be a part of your job description and daily duties. If you love to write, enjoy learning, and have an interest in technology, technical writing can be an exciting, rewarding career in itself. Job opportunities in the field are expected to grow as technology continues to advance.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1. What is Technical Writing?Technical writing is the art and science of translating technical information generated by subject matter experts into readable, accessible information usable by a wider audience.
Lesson 2. Projects for Technical WritersAs we've discussed before, nearly every industry involves some technical writing, especially if we include marketing materials under the technical writing umbrella.
Lesson 3. The Technical Writing ProcessWhether you're writing software manuals, online help, brochures, or scripting a video, the core goals of technical writing remain the same.
Lesson 4. How to Write EffectivelyAt its core, good technical writing is simply good writing about technical topics.
Lesson 5. Teaching an Alien to DriveThe challenge in delivering usable information is in knowing what level of detail and complexity is appropriate, and what elements of a given process you can assume that your reader knows and which ones you'll have to explain.
Lesson 6. The First End User, YouIn this lesson, we'll look at this part of the process in greater detail, and we'll see how the technical writer can add value to the company's product by evaluating its usability as it is being developed.
Lesson 7. Getting It Done. Project Management and the Technical WriterTechnical writers often need to manage more than one large project at a time. Developing good project management skills is as important (or more so) than good writing skills.
Lesson 8. Words, Pictures, and Links. The Growing Array of Deliverable FormatsAs we've seen in earlier lessons, a technical writer's output is not just written manuals anymore. Let's look further at the types of deliverables you as a technical writer could be called upon to produce.
Lesson 9. Breaking into Technical WritingIs a career in technical writing for you? By now we've talked enough about the kind of work that you'd be doing to give you a sense of whether it is the kind of work you might enjoy.
Lesson 10. The Tech Writer's ToolboxWhat tools do you need to succeed as a technical writer? Often, you need to know whatever tools your company chooses to use.
Lesson 11. Staying in TouchWhat is the future of technical writing? The answer is interactivity. The phenomenon of Web 2.0 has converted Web surfers into Web content providers. People don't just browse the web anymore, they get involved.
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Identify what technical writing is.
- Identify the types of projects that require technical writers.
- Summarize the technical writing process.
- Write technical materials more effectively.
- Write with the end-user in mind, and not the product owner.
- Demonstrate time management skills to complete a project.
- Evaluate your technical writing.
- Identify the best resources for finding technical writing projects, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Assignment - Lesson 1||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 1: What is Technical Writing?||Exam||10|
|Assignment - Lesson 2||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 2: Projects for Technical Writers||Exam||9|
|Lesson 3: The Technical Writing Process||Exam||10|
|Assignment - Lesson 4||Assignment||40|
|Lesson 4: How to Write Effectively||Exam||10|
|Lesson 5: Teaching an Alien to Drive||Exam||10|
|Assignment - Lesson 6||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 6: The First End User: You||Exam||9|
|Assignment - Lesson 7||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 7: Getting It Done: Project Management and the Technical Writer||Exam||10|
|Lesson 8: Words, Pictures, and Links: The Growing Array of Deliverable Formats||Exam||9|
|Assignment - Lesson 9||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 9: Breaking into Technical Writing||Exam||10|
|Lesson 10: The Tech Writer's Toolbox||Exam||10|
|Assignment - Lesson 11||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 11: Staying in Touch||Exam||10|
|Technical Writing - Final Exam||Exam||540|
- How to Write a Grant Proposal$75.001.5 CEUs
- Creative Writing for Beginners$90.001.4 CEUs
- Writing Women's Fiction$90.001.0 CEUs
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures$90.002.9 CEUs
- Resume Writing 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Historical Fiction Writing$90.002.3 CEUs
- Paranormal Romance Writing$90.001.0 CEUs
- Writing Effective Persuasion$60.001.2 CEUs
- Novel Writing 101$90.002.2 CEUs
- Writing Improvement 101$90.001.3 CEUs
- Poetry Writing 101$90.001.7 CEUs
- Essay Writing 101$80.001.1 CEUs
- Creative Writing Workshop$90.001.3 CEUs
- Basic Research Skills$55.000.8 CEUs
- Journaling and Memoir Writing$90.001.1 CEUs
- Business Analysis$95.001.2 CEUs
- ABCs of Technical Writing$65.001.1 CEUs
- Creative Writing 101$90.001.9 CEUs
- Advertising, Marketing and Sales Writing$90.001.2 CEUs
- Freelance Writing 101$90.001.2 CEUs
- Mystery Writing$90.001.2 CEUs
- Romance Writing$90.001.2 CEUs
- Nonfiction Writing 101$90.001.2 CEUs
- Travel Writing 101$90.001.0 CEUs
- Writing the Great American Short Story$90.000.5 CEUs
- Business Writing Basics$75.001.9 CEUs
- Spelling 101$55.001.1 CEUs
- Punctuation and Grammar 101$70.001.2 CEUs
- English Composition 101$65.001.1 CEUs
- How to Write a Business Plan$65.000.9 CEUs