Online Class: Mediation 101
with CEU Certificate*
0Studentshave taken this course
This Mediation 101 course is not only geared toward those who are interested in learning what it takes to become a professional mediator, but it also makes a great tool for those who will be involved in any aspect of mediation. By explaining the stages involved in the process, as well as clearly outlining the roles each party plays, this online class can help reduce anxiety and answer any questions that might have arisen over the issue of whether or not mediation is the right alternative for a particular case.
From the basics of defining just what mediation entails, to the more in-depth issues surrounding mediator liability, this course creates an excellent starting point for those who would like to have a solid understanding of the process. This class also covers the types of information necessary to determine whether or not a case is a good candidate for mediation, the confidentiality issues involved, and what follow-up activities can be expected. Additionally, each section concludes with a quiz that allows you to assess your comprehension of the information presented.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More Information
Lesson 1. What is Mediation?In its simplest form, mediation can be defined as the process through which a complainant and respondent work under the direction of a mediator to solve their problems.
Lesson 2. Why Use Mediation?As a mediator, it will be your job to help change the way people see mediation and how they use it to work through issues in their own lives.
Lesson 3. What Does it Take to Be a Good Mediator?There is no single type of person who makes a good mediator. While anyone with a background in counseling or law might already have an edge, virtually anyone can become a mediator given enough time and training.
Lesson 4. Preparing for MediationWhen two parties have determined that it is necessary to enter the mediation process, there is much to consider.
Lesson 5. Opening StatementsMediation can be extremely tense and stressful for the parties involved, so it is helpful to try to create a positive, relaxed atmosphere where cooperation is encouraged.
Lesson 6. Open SessionThe open session is the portion of mediation that most people think of when they imagine the process. It is the opportunity for each side to offer up its point of view.
Lesson 7. BrainstormingMuch of the goal of mediation is to find the best outcome for the most people. Ideally, the complainant and respondent will walk out of mediation feeling as if they have reached a win-win outcome.
Lesson 8. Creating a Mediation AgreementA solid agreement is the intended outcome of any mediation, and all of the parties involved will put in a considerable amount of time and effort to reach this agreement.
Lesson 9. Closing Statement and Follow UpWhen the mediation has ended, the mediator will often offer a closing statement. At this time, you will generally thank the parties for their time and effort in making the mediation successful.
Lesson 10. Mediation and ConfidentialityConfidentiality is an important issue in mediation. Many of the topics under discussion are very personal and sensitive, and the best mediators are those who keep information private.
Lesson 11. Legal Implications of MediationMany mediators have a background in law, either they are lawyers, legal assistants, or they are otherwise familiar with the legal system.
Lesson 12. Moral Implications of MediationOnly by looking at a case from every possible angle can you provide the best scenario for reaching agreements that everyone feels good about.
Lesson 13. Mediator LiabilityAlthough physical safety during mediation is a precaution taken for the few cases that end up in violence, lawsuits are actually a much more common concern.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- Define mediation.
- Describe the skills of a good mediator.
- Describe the preparations needed to take before beginning the mediation process.
- Demonstrate creating opening statements.
- Define the open session.
- Define brainstorming process.
- Describe how to create a mediation agreement.
- Summarize the closing statement and follow up.
- Summarize mediation and confidentiality.
- Summarize legal implications of mediation.
- Summarize moral implications of mediation.
- Describe mediator liabilities, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 1 : What is Mediation?||Exam||9|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 2 : Why Use Mediation?||Exam||9|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 3 : What Does it Take to Be a Good Mediator?||Exam||9|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 4: Preparing for Mediation||Exam||9|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 5: Opening Statements||Exam||10|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 6: Open Session||Exam||10|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 7: Brainstorming||Exam||9|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 8: Creating a Mediation Agreement||Exam||10|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 9: Closing Statement and Follow Up||Exam||10|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 10: Mediation and Confidentiality||Exam||9|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 11: Legal Implications of Mediation||Exam||9|
|Lesson 12 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 12: Moral Implications of Mediation||Exam||10|
|Lesson 13 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 13: Mediator Liability||Exam||10|
|The Final Exam||Exam||62|
- "I can now go out and Mediate with confidence. Thank You!" -- Linda A.
- "It was a pleasure studying and talking with this instructor. She was very helpful when I had a question that had nothing to do with Mediation 101. I would definitely take more of her classes." -- Ruby R.
- "The lessons were clear and easy to follow. Great course." -- Dean T.
- "All parts of this course were helpful." -- Lyndia M.
- "I found having the option to sit back and listen to the lesson being read a major plus. It served as both a review and reinforcement tool...This course was very helpful in every way. The instructor was quickly responsive to test and assignment grading." -- Nicki B.
- "I was very happy that the instructor was available for email discussion about points I needed clarified." -- Sharon E.
- "The course was good and the critique from the instructor was very useful. " -- Thomas C.
- View More Testimonials...