Online Class: Mediation 101
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this courseLoading...
Course DescriptionThe individual who pursues a career as a mediator can look forward to a job that is personally satisfying and financially rewarding. With its emphasis on fairness and cooperation, this career is an ideal choice for those who are empathetic and want to help others bring their conflicts to a positive resolution. Mediation allows the parties involved to reach resolutions more quickly, inexpensively, and amicably than may be possible through the court system.
This Mediation 101 course is not only geared toward those who are interested in learning what it takes to become a professional mediator, but it also makes a great tool for those who will be involved in any aspect of mediation. By explaining the stages involved in the process, as well as clearly outlining the roles each party plays, this online class can help reduce anxiety and answer any questions that might have arisen over the issue of whether or not mediation is the right alternative for a particular case.
From the basics of defining just what mediation entails, to the more in-depth issues surrounding mediator liability, this course creates an excellent starting point for those who would like to have a solid understanding of the process. This class also covers the types of information necessary to determine whether or not a case is a good candidate for mediation, the confidentiality issues involved, and what follow-up activities can be expected. Additionally, each section concludes with a quiz that allows you to assess your comprehension of the information presented.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1. What is Mediation?In its simplest form, mediation can be defined as the process through which a complainant and respondent work under the direction of a mediator to solve their problems.
Lesson 2. Why Use Mediation?As a mediator, it will be your job to help change the way people see mediation and how they use it to work through issues in their own lives.
Lesson 3. What Does it Take to Be a Good Mediator?There is no single type of person who makes a good mediator. While anyone with a background in counseling or law might already have an edge, virtually anyone can become a mediator given enough time and training.
Lesson 4. Preparing for MediationWhen two parties have determined that it is necessary to enter the mediation process, there is much to consider.
Lesson 5. Opening StatementsMediation can be extremely tense and stressful for the parties involved, so it is helpful to try to create a positive, relaxed atmosphere where cooperation is encouraged.
Lesson 6. Open SessionThe open session is the portion of mediation that most people think of when they imagine the process. It is the opportunity for each side to offer up its point of view.
Lesson 7. BrainstormingMuch of the goal of mediation is to find the best outcome for the most people. Ideally, the complainant and respondent will walk out of mediation feeling as if they have reached a win-win outcome.
Lesson 8. Creating a Mediation AgreementA solid agreement is the intended outcome of any mediation, and all of the parties involved will put in a considerable amount of time and effort to reach this agreement.
Lesson 9. Closing Statement and Follow UpWhen the mediation has ended, the mediator will often offer a closing statement. At this time, you will generally thank the parties for their time and effort in making the mediation successful.
Lesson 10. Mediation and ConfidentialityConfidentiality is an important issue in mediation. Many of the topics under discussion are very personal and sensitive, and the best mediators are those who keep information private.
Lesson 11. Legal Implications of MediationMany mediators have a background in law, either they are lawyers, legal assistants, or they are otherwise familiar with the legal system.
Lesson 12. Moral Implications of MediationOnly by looking at a case from every possible angle can you provide the best scenario for reaching agreements that everyone feels good about.
Lesson 13. Mediator LiabilityAlthough physical safety during mediation is a precaution taken for the few cases that end up in violence, lawsuits are actually a much more common concern.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Mediation 101Course Number: 7550251Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: Professional DevelopmentCEU Value: 1.2 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: mediationtraining.onlineclasses.comInstructor: Michelle MoneySyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $70.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $95.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Define mediation.
- Describe the skills of a good mediator.
- Describe the preparations needed to take before beginning the mediation process.
- Demonstrate creating opening statements.
- Define the open session.
- Define brainstorming process.
- Describe how to create a mediation agreement.
- Summarize the closing statement and follow up.
- Summarize mediation and confidentiality.
- Summarize legal implications of mediation.
- Summarize moral implications of mediation.
- Describe mediator liabilities, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
An Introduction Assignment 5 Lesson 1 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 1 : What is Mediation? Exam 9 Lesson 2 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 2 : Why Use Mediation? Exam 9 Lesson 3 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 3 : What Does it Take to Be a Good Mediator? Exam 9 Lesson 4 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 4: Preparing for Mediation Exam 9 Lesson 5 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 5: Opening Statements Exam 10 Lesson 6 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 6: Open Session Exam 10 Lesson 7 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 7: Brainstorming Exam 9 Lesson 8 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 8: Creating a Mediation Agreement Exam 10 Lesson 9 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 9: Closing Statement and Follow Up Exam 10 Lesson 10 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 10: Mediation and Confidentiality Exam 9 Lesson 11 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 11: Legal Implications of Mediation Exam 9 Lesson 12 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 12: Moral Implications of Mediation Exam 10 Lesson 13 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 13: Mediator Liability Exam 10 The Final Exam Exam 62 Total Points: 515
- "All parts of this course were helpful." -- Lyndia M.
- "I found having the option to sit back and listen to the lesson being read a major plus. It served as both a review and reinforcement tool...This course was very helpful in every way. The instructor was quickly responsive to test and assignment grading." -- Nicki B.
- "I was very happy that the instructor was available for email discussion about points I needed clarified." -- Sharon E.
- "The course was good and the critique from the instructor was very useful. " -- Thomas C.
- "Had a great time taking the course!" -- Kyle W.
- "Enjoyed taking this course! The overall course content gave me the basic in-depth information I needed in order to consider becoming a Child/Family Mediator. I anticipate furthering my education in Mediation as a result of taking this course." -- Lynda M.
- "All of it was helpful. I thoroughly enjoyed this course!!" -- Mohammad H.
- View More Testimonials...