Legal Terminology 101
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this courseLoading...
Legal questions come up regularly in our daily lives and the language of law is everywhere. Legal Terminology 101 is a comprehensive guide to the language of the legal system. If you're planning on purchasing a house, involved in a landlord-tenant dispute, making a will, buying a car, getting health insurance, applying for a credit card or hiring a lawyer then understanding the terminology of the contracts, forms and systems is vital for a successful outcome.This course is ideal for anyone wanting to quickly and easily learn common legal terms. Each of the self-paced lessons includes sound files so you can hear the pronunciation immediately.
Whether you're a homemaker or a student or looking for work in the legal or business world this course will help you learn a new language the 'legal language'.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1. Introduction to Legal TerminologyIntroduction and Course Overview
Lesson 2. The American Legal SystemHistory of the American Legal System
Lesson 3. The Litigation ProcessTerms used in litigation.
Lesson 4. Civil ActionsTerms most commonly associated with Civil cases.
Lesson 5. Criminal LawTerms commonly used during the course of a criminal trial.
Lesson 6. Contract Law and Lease TerminologyTerms associated with contract law and leases.
Lesson 7. Wills and EstatesTerms associated with wills and estates.
Lesson 8. Family Law and Domestic RelationsTerms presented in this lesson will help you to make better sense of the complexities of relationships.
Lesson 9. BankruptcyTwo types of bankruptcy available to individuals as well as the terminology commonly associated with this process.
Lesson 10. Tort LawTerms used in a personal injury, or tort, cases.
Lesson 11. Property LawTerms you will likely encounter during the home buying process.
Lesson 12. PartnershipsGeneral terminology governing partnerships and their operation.
Lesson 13. CorporationsTerms commonly associated with the incorporating process.
The Final ExamThe Final Exam
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Legal Terminology 101Course Number: 8900095Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: Professional DevelopmentCEU Value: 1.0 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: legalterminology101.onlineclasses.comInstructor: John ChouinardSyllabus: View SyllabusCourse Review: Read Editorial ReviewRequirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $40.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $65.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the American legal system.
- Define terms dealing with the litigation process.
- Define terms dealing with civil actions.
- Define terms dealing with criminal law.
- Define terms dealing with contract law and lease terminology.
- Define terms dealing with wills and estates.
- Define terms dealing with family law/domestic relations.
- Define terms dealing with bankruptcy.
- Define terms dealing with tort law.
- Define terms dealing with property law.
- Define terms dealing with partnerships and corporations, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Introduction Assignment Assignment 5 Lesson 2 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 2 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 3 Assignment Assignment 15 Lesson 3 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 4 Assignment Assignment 15 Lesson 4 Exam Exam 9 Lesson 5 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 5 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 6 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 6 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 7: Exam Exam 9 Lesson 8 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 8: Exam Exam 9 Lesson 9 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 9: Exam Exam 10 Lesson 10: Exam Exam 10 Lesson 11 Assignment Assignment 5 Lesson 11: Exam Exam 9 Lesson 12: Exam Exam 8 Lesson 13 Assignment Assignment 10 Final Assignment Assignment 5 Lesson 13: Exam Exam 10 The Final Exam Exam 98 Total Points: 317
- "I like that you divided the legal terminology into different categories. It made the study easy and easier to memorize the legal words. I liked it. I am glad I took this course....The instructor is great. He is very nice and he answered my email pretty quick. I appreciated it. I hope I will have him as my instructor again." -- Debi C.
- "The information provided was exactly what I wanted. The course was great because I could do it when it was convenient for me." -- Karen D.
- "I want to thank the instructor for the hard work and wish him good luck." -- Sharif H.
- "The instructors ready support and his way of answering questions promptly and all the material presented in a beautiful manner. I really adore the way my assignments were answered and grades given. My instructor was very helpful. Actually he is responsible in my clearing the course so soon and my heartfelt thanks to him. I would like to take more courses from Universal Class. Thanks." -- Chitra C.
- "I enjoy each class I am taking and I look forward to take more courses from this site whenever possible." -- Maureen G.
- "I'm sure this course will become helpful from now on, as I took the course so I would know my rights. I have been wronged before." -- laura J.
- "It was all very helpful....It was a very precise and on target course. The instructor was very prompt in his replies. All in all, it was a fascinating experience, especially since I have never worked in legal and it was all new to me." -- Janice D.
- View More Testimonials...