with CEU Certificate
Learn the basics of Employment Law, the potential pitfalls, and ways to keep yourself out of court so that you can grow your business by hiring, evaluating, and managing employees.
This course will discuss all the necessary information you need to know about employees and independent consultants, what benefits you are responsible for, taxes, discrimination issues, unionization, and workplace safety. You will learn the ins and outs of how to advertise a job position, and how to effectively interview so that your hiring process goes smoothly. Learn good evaluation techniques and how to resolve problems before they become really big issues. However, not everyone is in the right place, and you may have to terminate someone from your employment, and this class will help you to do it the right way.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson One: The Employment RelationshipIn this lesson you will understand the importance of learning the fundamentals of employment law; you will, at the very least, limit the possibility of litigation.
Lesson Two: The Process of Hiring EmployeesIn order to find the best applicants for your position, you will need to write a clear description of the job that needs to be done.
Lesson Three: Evaluating PerformanceThe lesson will include an interview with Michael Link. He holds the position of senior manager at an international corporation and has long been involved in the process of hiring, evaluating, and occasionally terminating employees.
Lesson Four: TerminationWe are not always 100 percent successful in choosing the right person for a position we need filled. Other times, because of economic situations, we have to let good people go.
Lesson Five: Employee Compensation and BenefitsThe FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act) is the main federal law that covers all issues related to wages and pay. It sets minimum wage and overtime payment standards. It prevents gender-specific pay.
Lesson Six: TaxesOne aspect of employment law you may prefer to avoid but cannot is the issue of taxes. As an employer, you are automatically assigned the role of tax collector.
Lesson Seven: Leave PoliciesWith a few exceptions, employers actually have no obligation to provide for leave from work, except as mandated by law.
Lesson Eight: Workplace SafetySafety in the workplace has become of paramount importance for both employers and employees.
Lesson Nine: DiscriminationJob discrimination includes hiring, wage, and promotion decisions based on anything other than a worker's performance, credentials, or skills.
Lesson 10: DisabilitiesIn 1990, Congress passed the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) in order to prevent discrimination against individuals with mental or physical disabilities.
Lesson Eleven: Unions and Labor RelationsPrior to the newest federal administration (2009), only about 12 percent of all American workers belonged to unions. This is a decline of about 50 percent from numbers collected in 1983.
Lesson 12: Legal IssuesThe employer-employee relationship is one that is created with tightly woven legal constraints. When one side violates the other's rights, then the dispute could possibly turn into a legal issue.
Lesson 13: Miscellaneous TopicsThe balance of your employees' "reasonable expectation of privacy" and your desire to run your business efficiently and effectively is tenuous at best.
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the employment relationship.
- Describe the process of hiring employees.
- Describe evaluating performance.
- Define termination.
- Describe employee compensation and benefits.
- Summarize taxes.
- Summarize leave policies.
- Identify workplace safety.
- Describe discrimination.
- Describe disabilities.
- Describe unions and labor relations.
- Summarize legal issues, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson One: The Employment Relationship||Exam||12|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson Two: The Process of Hiring Employees||Exam||11|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson Three: Evaluating Performance||Exam||11|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson Four: Termination||Exam||7|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson Five: Employee Compensation and Benefits||Exam||11|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson Six: Taxes||Exam||11|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson Seven: Leave Policies||Exam||12|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson Eight: Workplace Safety||Exam||9|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson Nine: Discrimination||Exam||12|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson Ten: Disabilities||Exam||10|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson Eleven: Unions and Labor Relations||Exam||11|
|Lesson 12 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson Twelve: Legal Issues||Exam||12|
|Lesson 13 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson Thirteen: Miscellaneous Topics||Exam||10|
|The Final Exam||Exam||58|
- Human Resources Management 101$75.000.8 CEUs
- Workplace Safety 101$60.001.1 CEUs
- Workers' Compensation 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Customer Relationship Management$65.001.2 CEUs
- Mindfulness in the Workplace$60.000.9 CEUs
- Sensitivity Training in the Workplace$60.000.9 CEUs
- Interview Skills$60.001.0 CEUs
- Management Essentials 101$60.000.5 CEUs
- Running Effective Meetings$50.000.7 CEUs
- Job Performance Appraisals - A How To Guide$60.000.7 CEUs
- Fundamentals of Cross-Cultural Communication$60.000.8 CEUs
- Talent Management$55.000.8 CEUs
- Microsoft Project 2013$60.001.0 CEUs
- Microsoft Visio 2013$65.001.0 CEUs
- Managing Your Career$60.000.6 CEUs
- Recruitment and Retention Strategies$65.000.5 CEUs
- Resume Writing 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Small Business Guide$60.001.1 CEUs
- Contract Law 101 - An Introduction$75.001.0 CEUs
- Public Relations 101$65.001.1 CEUs
- Business Consulting 101$70.001.1 CEUs
- Marketing Outreach$65.001.0 CEUs
- Crisis Management 101$65.001.2 CEUs
- Creating an Effective Sales Team$65.001.2 CEUs
- How to Start and Run an Online Business$60.001.0 CEUs
- Introduction to Six Sigma$70.001.0 CEUs
- Diversity Training 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Marketing for Small Business 101$70.001.4 CEUs
- Business Management$70.001.1 CEUs
- Business Math 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Business Analysis$65.001.2 CEUs
- Business Ethics$65.001.1 CEUs
- Understanding Business Administration$70.001.1 CEUs