Online Class: Genealogy 101
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this courseLoading...
Genealogy is one of the fastest growing hobbies in the United States. According to some experts, nearly 75% of Americans are interested in discovering their family history. There are many reasons for this: some people are interested in learning more about their heritage, others want to preserve their family's history for future generations, while still others become involved as a means of spending time with older relatives. Whatever the reason, based on the number of books, web sites, and software programs devoted to this topic, there is widespread interest that continues to grow.
While taking on the task of researching your family tree can appear – and in many cases actually be – a daunting task, it is far from impossible. Thanks to the increasing availability of information online, many people can easily conduct a great deal of their research from the comforts of their own home. In this course, we will present tips and strategies for beginning the process of constructing your family tree. In addition to describing the various records and sources available for finding information, we will help you to understand some basic genealogy terms and tools. We will also discuss the steps that you can take to permanently preserve your family's records and history.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Feedback
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: Introduction to GenealogySimply put, genealogy is the study of family history. Make no mistake however, genealogy is anything but simple.
Lesson 2: Getting StartedChances are, you didn't wake up this morning and think, "Gee, I think I'll take an online genealogy course today."
Lesson 3: Sorting It All OutFeeling overwhelmed yet? If you are, don't despair, because in this lesson, we will show you how to begin to get a handle on the information you have gathered so far and begin to get it organized.
Lesson 4: Looking for CluesContrary to what you may believe, it is not always necessary to conduct an extensive search for information about your family's past.
Lesson 5: Official Records (Part 1)Official records-those records kept by local municipalities, churches, and other entities, represent the most accurate source of information.
Lesson 6: Official Records (Part 2)In this lesson, we continue looking at some of the most common sources of information that can help you piece together your family tree.
Lesson 7: Official Records (Part 3)As you may have guessed based on the amount of time we have devoted to this topic, there is a wealth of information available in official records.
Lesson 8: Learning from OthersAs you can probably imagine, the Internet has made networking with genealogists from around the world nearly effortless.
Lesson 9: Avoiding Common MistakesLet's face it, if you're new to all of this, you are bound to make a few mistakes along the road to filling out your family tree. And if you do, don't worry - most of them are fixable.
Lesson 10: Dealing With Dead EndsEven with all the resources available, chances are that you are going to hit at least one roadblock in your quest to fill in your family tree.
Lesson 11: Handling Special SituationsUp to this point, we've been proceeding with the "one size fits all" approach -- meaning that there is nothing atypical about your family tree. But, we all know that the world - and its inhabitants - are far from "one size fits all."
Lesson 12: Keeping It All OrganizedIn the last 11 lessons, we've covered a great deal of ground, and have given you plenty of direction for researching your family tree.
Lesson 13: Family HistoriesFor many genealogists, the ultimate goal is writing a family history. As daunting as that task may sound, there are ways to turn that goal into a reality. In this lesson, we will discuss how to write and publish your family history.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Genealogy 101Course Number: 7550451Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: How ToCEU Value: 0.9 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsInstructor: C. Michael McKennaSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $50.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $75.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe how to begin the process of researching your genealogy.
- Describe where to look for clues.
- Describe where and how to find official records kept by local municipalities, churches, and other entities.
- Describe using technology to connect with other people that have information you need.
- Describe how to avoid common mistakes.
- Summarize how to write and publish your family history, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1 Assignment: Why Genealogy Assignment 20 Lesson 1: Introduction Exam 8 Lesson 2 Assignment: Planning it Out Assignment 20 Lesson 2 : Getting Started Exam 10 Lesson 3 Assignment: Charting it Out Assignment 20 Lesson 3 : Sorting it all Out Exam 9 Lesson 4 Assignment: Photographs galore Assignment 20 Lesson 4 ：Looking for Clues Exam 8 Lesson 5 Assignment: Record Sources Assignment 20 Lesson 5 : Official Records: Part 1 Exam 9 Lesson 6 Assignment: Search Practice Assignment 20 Lesson 6 : Official Records, Part 2 Exam 7 Lesson 7 Assignment: Land Records Search Assignment 20 Lesson 7 : Official Records, Part 3 Exam 10 Lesson 8 Assignment: Joining Lists Assignment 20 Lesson 8 : Learning from Others Exam 10 Lesson 9 Assignment: Making Mistakes Assignment 20 Lesson 9 : Avoiding Common Mistakes Exam 10 Lesson 10 Assignment: Problems Encountered Assignment 20 Lesson 10 : Dealing with Dead-ends Exam 8 Lesson 11 Assignment: Handling Special Situations Assignment 20 Lesson 11 : Handling Special Situations Exam 9 Lesson 12 Assignment: Organization Assignment 20 Lesson 12 : Keeping it All Organized Exam 10 Discovery at Family Gatherings Assignment 30 Lesson 13 Assignment: Making a Plan Assignment 20 Lesson 13: Family Histories Exam 7 The Final Exam Exam 51 Total Points: 456
Choose Your Subscription PlanCourse OnlyOne Course
No Certificate / No CEUs$50for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate X Includes CEUs X Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 courseCertificate CourseOne Course
Certificate & CEUs$75for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 coursePlatinum YearlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$189per yearYou save 50%!Billed once
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 12 Months No. of courses 500+Platinum MonthlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$59 first month$29.00 / each consecutive month thereafterBilled monthly
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete Monthly No. of courses 500+
- "Net links will prove very helpful in my family history search. Instructor's feedback was very useful and encouraging." -- Michelle B.
- "The instructor was very positive and encouraging. It also helped me with areas that I was not very familiar with, specifically land and probate records and the section on examining computer programs. Also, the extra assignments ("go to this webpage and look at...") were particularly helpful because they introduced additional sources that were new to me." -- Kathryn H.
- "This course Genealogy I recommend to anybody. It gives so much information...The instructor is one of the Best, he is very helpful, he has lot of knowledge." -- Sophie S.
- "The course was excellent. I found several "new" subjects that I wouldn't have thought of myself to explore." -- Peggy T.
- "I found the instructor very prompt with his feedback and very accessible. I thought the material presented in each topic was well oganized and it gave me a good appreciation how things went together. I also enjoyed a number of the links to other web page topics. They were interesting and in one case I actually found out new information about an ancestor." -- Robert B.
- "The instructor was great. Grades were very quickly completed. The class covered a lot of very important topics." -- Linda W.
- "I found all the material to be helpful...the links, etc., and also the comments from the professor were motivational :)I thought the professor was very helpful and his comments made me more determined and motivated." -- Christi N.
- View More Testimonials...