Online Class: Mystery Writing
with CEU Certificate*
0Studentshave taken this course
This course is perfect for those who have an interest in either Creative Writing or the Mystery Genre. If you love to write and want to move into this popular genre, or you love to read a great mystery and have often thought you could do it, this course is for you.
Our innovative writing exercises will get your creative juices flowing by bringing out the writer in you and sparking new ideas. Additionally, there are questions after each lesson which will allow you to recap what you have learned and test your knowledge.
The entire course is designed to offer you great information in a way that will get you thinking about your own mystery and personal writing practices. Whatever your age, experience or level of ability, this course constantly challenges and informs you so that your writing can't fail to improve and you will learn how to stay motivated and inspired through the entire writing process.
For new, aspiring writers--become the mystery writer you have always wanted to be! And for seasoned writers looking to expand their horizons--we'll help strengthen your writing abilities with this very informative course. So join us today!
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More Information
Lesson 1: The Mystery GenreThis lesson looks at what makes a story a mystery and defines the crucial elements of this genre.
Lesson 2: Starting OutThis lesson aims to look at how you can find and collect ideas that inspire you, moving on to give practical advice on getting that pen to paper for the first time -- planning, plotting, and brainstorming.
Lesson 3: ResearchThis lesson gives practical tips on where to find your research and how to write about real-life mysteries.
Lesson 4: Storytelling -- Plot & Sub-PlotThis lesson gives practical advice on how to develop a plot that works.
Lesson 5: Storytelling -- CharactersThis lesson shows how characters can be developed and getting to know your characters so they can be well-rounded and three-dimensional.
Lesson 6: Storytelling -- The NarrativeThis lesson gives advice, not on how a mystery should be narrated, but on what a writer's options are in terms of telling the story.
Lesson 7: Mysterious Elements -- The Red HerringA red herring misleads the reader, takes them on a wild goose chase. It is a staple of the mystery genre.
Lesson 8: Mysterious Elements -- Violence and MurderThis lesson looks at how a writer can avoid isolating the reader by taking things too far.
Lesson 9: Mysterious Elements -- SuspenseSuspense is how a writer keeps the reader reading their mystery. To achieve that un-put-downable effect, it is essential that you get the pace of the story just right, so the reader is kept involved and interested.
Lesson 10: Mysterious Elements - RealismThis lesson aims to help writers convey a sense of the real world by helping them identify and banish any unrealistic, overly contrived elements in their mystery.
Lesson 11: Mysterious Elements - RevelationIt is difficult to decide, and every story is different, but this lesson offers some great advice on how to resolve the mystery and satisfy your readers.
Lesson 12: Redrafting a MysteryThis lesson gives professional advice on redrafting, editing, and maintaining the mystery for writers of mysteries.
Lesson 13: Overcoming Mystery Writer's BlockOvercoming writer's block can be a nightmare for any writer of fiction, but this lesson offers practical, useful advice for the writer of mysteries who may be lacking in motivation or inspiration.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- Describe the mystery genre.
- Conduct research.
- Describe storytelling essentials--plot and sub-plot.
- Define characters.
- Define the narrative.
- Define the red herring.
- Summarize violence and murder.
- Create suspense.
- Demonstrate methods for creating realism.
- Demonstrate techniques for the final revelation.
- Summarize redraft a mystery.
- Summarize methods for overcoming mystery writer's block, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 1: The Mystery Genre||Exam||11|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 2: Starting Out||Exam||12|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 3: Research||Exam||12|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 4: Storytelling; Plot & Sub-plot||Exam||10|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 5: Storytelling; Character||Exam||8|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 6: Storytelling; Narrative||Exam||9|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 7: Mysterious Elements; The Red Herring||Exam||9|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 8: Mysterious Elements; Violence and Murder||Exam||7|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 9: Mysterious Elements; Suspense||Exam||10|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 10: Mysterious Elements; Realism||Exam||10|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 11: Mysterious Elements; Revelation||Exam||10|
|Lesson 12: Redrafting a Mystery||Exam||10|
|Lesson 13A Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 13B Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 13: Overcoming Mystery Writer's Block||Exam||10|
- "I really appreciated your prompt replies. You were ON IT!" -- Terri B.
- "Ms. Merritt is an excellent instructor. She is very helpful and encouraging." -- Donna N.
- "Each aspect was helpful, I liked doing the bits of writing for the course. Stimulating and interesting." -- Joan H.
- "I found the overall experience to be excellent. The almost instant response of the instructor to questions, to assignments, and to exams was very helpful, as were her suggestions." -- Vincent H.
- "Instructor and course were excellent. Hope to take more courses with this instructor." -- Kyle B.
- "The explanation on the parts of the actual mystery story were very helpful. The instructor was superb." -- Anita K.
- "Overall a great experience!" -- Jean P.
- View More Testimonials...