Online Class: Candle Making 101
with CEU Certificate*
0Studentshave taken this course
Course DescriptionCandle making is a craft as old as civilization itself, yet after so many millennia and technological advances, we still love the light, warmth, and beauty of a lit candle. Whether a seasoned artisan or a budding enthusiast, this course offers something for everyone interested in learning the craft of candle making.
This course will open up for you the amazing array of possibilities that exist in your pursuit to create beautiful, functional, and sweet smelling candles. From basic molded and container designs, through the wonders of ice, chunk, votive, and the all-mysterious floating candles, you'll learn the easiest and safest ways to work with wax, wicks, and molds.
But this course doesn't stop with just making candles that are sure to impress your friends and family. Once you've learned how to design and craft your product using countless combinations of scent, color, and containers, you'll be given the tools and knowledge to take your journey on the final leg; candle making for profit through your own business.
The basics of building a niche candle market and targeting your marketing efforts to those that are naturally inclined to buy your candles will also be covered. You'll learn how to build a business plan and get the word out about your products. The nitty gritty of starting a business will be covered and you'll end with a thorough list of potential wholesale suppliers, candle making communities, and other resources for learning and sharing your new found passion.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More Information
Lesson 1. The History of Candle MakingUnderstanding the basics of this history helps us to appreciate more fully the true meaning of the power of a candle.
Lesson 2. EquipmentMaking candles does not have to be expensive and complex, but there are specific pieces of equipment that you need to get started.
Lesson 3. Safety and Your Wax WorkplaceThe process of making candles can be dangerous and certain precautions need to be taken to ensure a safe and harmless experience.
Lesson 4. Wax, Wicks, and AdditivesIt is important to understand the choices you have and which wax works best with which candle you plan on making.
Lesson 5. Step by Step Candle MakingIn this lesson you will learn a nine step process for making a molded candle.
Lesson 6. Handmade Rolled and Taper CandlesNow that you have the basic molded candle down pat, it is time to move on to creative variations in your candle making repertoire.
Lesson 7. Color and FragranceIt is time to take your craft to the next level by adding color and scent.
Lesson 8. Overdipping, Cutouts, and Cracked CandlesCutouts and cracked candles are two examples of exciting new variations. By utilizing these new tools you will add a professional and artistic look to your craft.
Lesson 9. Container Candles and Gel Wax VariationsIn this lesson you will learn how to make candles out of most anything that can hold wax.
Lesson 10. Floating, Mottled, Ice, and Chunk CandlesThe variations are endless and the candles just get more and more amazing.
Lesson 11. Multiwick, Glow-through, and Votive CandlesIn this final lesson on specific types of candle variations you will learn a new set of advanced techniques for making spectacular candles.
Lesson 12. Troubleshooting and CaretakingDespite the fact that making candles is an easy and immensely rewarding craft, sometimes problems occur that you just do not know how to solve.
Lesson 13. Candle Making for ProfitWith relatively low overhead and a huge potential customer base, candle making for profit does not need to be just a dream.
Lesson 14. Planning, Pricing, and Forming Your BusinessIn this lesson, you will learn the next steps in launching your candle making business.
Lesson 15. Marketing Ideas and Candle Making ResourcesIn this final lesson on candle making you will learn ideas for marketing your creations and how to get them in front of as many buyers as possible.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- Summarize the history of candle making.
- Identify equipment needed for candle making.
- Summarize safety and your wax workplace.
- Summarize wax, wicks, and additives.
- Demonstrate step by step candle making.
- Demonstrate handmade rolled and taper candles.
- Recognize color and fragrance in the candle making process.
- Identify over dipping, cutouts, and cracked candles and what to do.
- Demonstrate creating container candles and gel wax variations.
- Demonstrate creating floating, mottled, ice, and chunk candles.
- Demonstrate creating multiwick, glow-through, and votive candles.
- Summarize candle making for profit, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 1 Exam||Exam||9|
|Yankee Candle Factory||Assignment||100|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 2 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 3 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 4 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 5 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 6 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 7 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 8 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 9 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 10 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 11 Exam||Exam||10|
|Making a New Candle||Assignment||100|
|Lesson 12 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 12 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 13 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 13 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 14 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 14 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 15 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 15 Exam||Exam||10|
|The Final Exam||Exam||71|
- "I'VE LEARNED A LOT ABOUT MAKING CANDLES, AND HOW TO SELL THEM. I'M NOT READLY INTERESTED IN SELLING BUT MAKING THEM FOR GIFTS AND FOR MYSELF." -- Theresa R.
- "Thank you very great course." -- Brenda H.
- "I love that the instructor was very quick with the grading...everything is easily explained." -- Francia P.