Creative Writing for Beginners
with CEU Certificate*
0Studentshave taken this course
Creative writing is a form of artistic expression. While the painter uses canvas and the sculptor uses clay, the writer uses pen and paper – or computer and keyboard in today's world. This course is designed to teach you the tools and mechanics of creative writing. You'll learn about writing fiction, poetry, screenplays, and even nonfiction. It doesn't matter if you're already writing or if you want to learn more about it so you can start. This course teaches you the basics that you need to know and gives you the skill sets you need to start creating your written works of art.
- The different forms of creative writing
- The true value of creative writing
- Reasons why you should write
- The tools you need to write excellent fiction
- The different types of nonfiction
- How to write memoirs, biographies, and autobiographies
- How to write articles for newspapers, blogs, or journals
- How to overcome writer's block
- How to write poetry
- And how to get your work recognized and published
There are fifteen comprehensive lessons in this course. After each lesson, you'll find exercises that will help you review what you've learned. You'll also find a dozen writing assignments that you can use to get the ideas flowing and start writing.
This course is the perfect introduction to creative writing. It will teach even the newest writers how to successfully take their ideas and put them onto paper. Even if you've never written anything before, this course will get you started – and you'll be amazed at how well you can actually do once you've finished.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More Information
Lesson 1: Introduction to Creative WritingThis course teaches you the basics, and gives you the skill sets you need to start creating your written works of art.
Lesson 2: Exploring Creative WritingPeople write for many reasons.Some write for their own personal enjoyment. Others write as gifts to others.
Lesson 3: Secrets of Creative WritingWhen you learn to use the tools that professional writers use, you truly master creative writing.
Lesson 4: Elements of Short Story and Fiction WritingIn this lesson you'll learn components you need to write a narrative.
Lesson 5: DialogueDialogue is defined as a conversation between two or more characters or people.
Lesson 6: Point of ViewThe point of view that you choose in your writing will depend on what you want to accomplish, your story itself, and how much influence you want a character to have over each scene.
Lesson 7: Writing NonfictionIn this lesson, we're going to focus on the three types of nonfiction that appeal to most creative writers.
Lesson 8: Writing PoetryPoetry is a beautiful art, and it's an art that you're going to learn about in this lesson.
Lesson 9: Writing Articles, Blogs, and Journalistic PiecesWhat you learn in this lesson can be used to write articles for article banks, blogs, or newspapers, both online and off.
Lesson 10: Writing Dramas, Scripts, and ScreenplaysWriters who write dramas are often called screenwriters, and sometimes scriptwriters, because the words they write will often be acted out on stage, instead of just read from a book.
Lesson 11: The Importance of EditingEditing is the process of arranging, revising, and preparing work for publication.
Lesson 12: Overcoming Writer's BlockWriter's block is a phrase that's used when someone who wants to write can't.
Lesson 13: Unlocking Your CreativityThis lesson is full of creative writing prompts you can use to unlock your creativity to produce ideas, then flesh them out once you come up with them.
Lesson 14: Resources for WritersMost people who write on a regular basis want to publish their work.
Lesson 15: Publishing Your WritingYou're going to learn the various ways you can build a name for yourself and publish your work, as well as the best ways to make money from your writing.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- Describe the creative writing process.
- Define elements of short story and fiction writing.
- Demonstrate dialogue.
- Demonstrate point of view.
- Demonstrate writing nonfiction.
- Demonstrate writing poetry.
- Demonstrate writing articles, blogs, and journalistic pieces.
- Demonstrate writing dramas, scripts, and screenplays.
- Describe the importance of editing.
- Describe techniques overcoming writer's block.
- Recognize new ways to unlock your creativity.
- Describe ways to publish your writing, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 1 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 2 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 3 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 4 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 5 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 6 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 7 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 8 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 9 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 10 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 11 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 12 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 12 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 13 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 13 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 14 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 14 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 15 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 15 Exam||Exam||9|
|The Final Exam||Exam||72|