with CEU Certificate*
This poetry course is created for the lover of poetry who wants to learn how to appreciate the art even more. It is also for student poets who want to improve their craft. This course is thorough in teaching all students everything they need to know about reading, interpreting, and writing poetry. This course is a must-take for any budding poet out there who wants to hone their skills and learn to write high quality, great poetry that others will appreciate.
Through various assignments and essays, each student will learn to do the following:
- Determine and understand the meanings of poems.
- Recognize and utilize the devices used in writing poetry.
- Understand the theory and history of poetry to strengthen their skills and appreciation.
- Write different types of poetry.
- Become a skilled, knowledgeable poet or lover of the art.
- Identify different types of poetry.
- Create a chapbook suitable for publication.
- And much more.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: Introduction: The Art of PoetryPoetry is a beautiful art, and it's an art that you're going to learn about in-depth throughout every lesson in this course.
Lesson 2: Irony and ToneThe biggest mistake you can make as a poet is to believe that a poem's purpose is to show emotion or convey a thought.
Lesson 3: Denotation and ConnotationDenotation and connotation are two terms that are very important in poetry, especially when you're writing it, because they can determine the meaning of your words and help to set the tone of the poem.
Lesson 4: Literal and Figurative MeaningsLiteral and figurative languages are often used in poetry to give it meaning and, oftentimes, a second meaning.
Lesson 5: Poetic Devices A-IPoets achieve their art by using poetic devices. These poetic devices allow poets to create tone, connotation, figurative language, and more.
Lesson 6: Poetic Devices J-ZIn this lesson, we're going to cover more of the poetic devices listed in Lesson 4.
Lesson 7: Rhyme and MeterRhyme is a poetic device that is defined as the repetition of two similar sounds in two or more different words.
Lesson 8: Symbolism and ArchetypesSymbolism in poetry is defined as a way to write about, or show something, that is already tangible, but to show it in a new light.
Lesson 9: Cultural ConceptsIn this lesson, we're going to discuss the cultural influences of some poetry, as well as learn the forms associated with different cultures.
Lesson 10: Parody and TranslationParody is the imitation of another body f work, either by another writer or of another style. It relies on deliberate exaggeration to achieve a satirical, comical effect.
Lesson 11: Free Verse and Blank VerseAlthough free verse and blank verse both contain non-rhyming verse, there is a difference, as you'll learn in this lesson.
Lesson 12: Sound and MeaningThere are two basic effects that should be achieved in any poem. Those two effects are sound and meaning.
Lesson 13: Types of Poetry and VerseIn this lesson, we're going to list the different types of poetry, such as a haiku or a sonnet.
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Identify and demonstrate irony and tone.
- Identify and demonstrate denotation and connotation.
- Describe literal and figurative meanings.
- Define poetic devices A-Z.
- Describe rhyme and meter.
- Describe symbolism and archetypes.
- Describe cultural concepts.
- Summarize parody and translation.
- Describe and demonstrate free verse and blank verse.
- Describe sounds and meaning.
- Define types of poetry and verse, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 1 Essay||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 1: Introduction||Exam||8|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||5|
|Lesson 2 Essay||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 2: Irony and Tone||Exam||8|
|Lesson 3 Assignment A||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 3 Assignment B||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 3 Essay||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 3: Denotation and Connotation||Exam||8|
|Lesson 4 Assignment A||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 4 Assignment B||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 4 Essay||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 4: Literal and Figurative Meanings||Exam||6|
|Lesson 5 Essay||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 5: Poetic Devices A-I||Exam||8|
|Lesson 6 Assignment A||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 6 Assignment B||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 6 Assignment C||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 6 Essay||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 6: Poetic Devices J-Z||Exam||7|
|Lesson 7 Assignment A||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 7 Assignment B||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 7 Essay||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 7: Rhyme and Meter||Exam||7|
|Lesson 8 Essay||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 8: Symbolism and Archetypes||Exam||8|
|Lesson 9 Essay||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 9: Cultural Concepts||Exam||8|
|Lesson 10 Essay||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 10: Parody and Translation||Exam||8|
|Lesson 11 Essay||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 11: Free Verse and Blank Verse||Exam||8|
|Lesson 12 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 12 Essay||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 12: Sounds and Meaning||Exam||8|
|Lesson 13 Essay||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 13: Types of Poetry and Verse||Exam||8|
|The Final Exam||Exam||46|
- Creative Writing for Beginners$90.001.0 CEUs
- Writing Women's Fiction$90.001.0 CEUs
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures$90.002.9 CEUs
- Resume Writing 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Philosophy 101$85.001.0 CEUs
- Historical Fiction Writing$90.002.3 CEUs
- Paranormal Romance Writing$90.001.0 CEUs
- Writing Effective Persuasion$60.001.2 CEUs
- Novel Writing 101$90.002.2 CEUs
- Writing Improvement 101$90.001.3 CEUs
- Creative Writing Workshop$90.001.3 CEUs
- Journaling and Memoir Writing$90.001.1 CEUs
- ABCs of Technical Writing$65.001.1 CEUs
- How to Write Short Stories for Children$90.001.1 CEUs
- Creative Writing 101$90.001.9 CEUs
- Advertising, Marketing and Sales Writing$90.001.2 CEUs
- How to Write a Short Story$90.001.1 CEUs
- Freelance Writing 101$90.001.2 CEUs
- Mystery Writing$90.001.2 CEUs
- Nonfiction Writing 101$90.001.2 CEUs
- Travel Writing 101$90.001.0 CEUs
- Humor Writing 101$90.001.1 CEUs
- Writing the Great American Short Story$90.000.5 CEUs
- Business Writing Basics$75.001.9 CEUs
- Punctuation and Grammar 101$70.001.2 CEUs
- American Literature Review$115.000.7 CEUs