Online Class: Poetry Writing 101
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this course
This poetry course is created for the lover of poetry who wants to learn how to appreciate the art even more. It is also for student poets who want to improve their craft. This course is thorough in teaching all students everything they need to know about reading, interpreting, and writing poetry. This course is a must-take for any budding poet out there who wants to hone their skills and learn to write high quality, great poetry that others will appreciate.
Through various assignments and essays, each student will learn to do the following:
Poetry is a verbal art form that requires both understanding and appreciation to master. Simply reading a few poems and having their meanings explained to you is not nearly enough to fully appreciate poetry – or to become a great poet. That is why this course will provide each student with a great deal of lessons, explanations, essays and assignments to deepen understanding and apply what has been learned.
- Determine and understand the meanings of poems.
- Recognize and utilize the devices used in writing poetry.
- Understand the theory and history of poetry to strengthen their skills and appreciation.
- Write different types of poetry.
- Become a skilled, knowledgeable poet or lover of the art.
- Identify different types of poetry.
- Create a chapbook suitable for publication.
- And much more.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Feedback
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: Introduction: The Art of PoetryPoetry is a beautiful art, and it's an art that you're going to learn about in-depth throughout every lesson in this course.
Lesson 2: Irony and ToneThe biggest mistake you can make as a poet is to believe that a poem's purpose is to show emotion or convey a thought.
Lesson 3: Denotation and ConnotationDenotation and connotation are two terms that are very important in poetry, especially when you're writing it, because they can determine the meaning of your words and help to set the tone of the poem.
Lesson 4: Literal and Figurative MeaningsLiteral and figurative languages are often used in poetry to give it meaning and, oftentimes, a second meaning.
Lesson 5: Poetic Devices A-IPoets achieve their art by using poetic devices. These poetic devices allow poets to create tone, connotation, figurative language, and more.
Lesson 6: Poetic Devices J-ZIn this lesson, we're going to cover more of the poetic devices listed in Lesson 4.
Lesson 7: Rhyme and MeterRhyme is a poetic device that is defined as the repetition of two similar sounds in two or more different words.
Lesson 8: Symbolism and ArchetypesSymbolism in poetry is defined as a way to write about, or show something, that is already tangible, but to show it in a new light.
Lesson 9: Cultural ConceptsIn this lesson, we're going to discuss the cultural influences of some poetry, as well as learn the forms associated with different cultures.
Lesson 10: Parody and TranslationParody is the imitation of another body f work, either by another writer or of another style. It relies on deliberate exaggeration to achieve a satirical, comical effect.
Lesson 11: Free Verse and Blank VerseAlthough free verse and blank verse both contain non-rhyming verse, there is a difference, as you'll learn in this lesson.
Lesson 12: Sound and MeaningThere are two basic effects that should be achieved in any poem. Those two effects are sound and meaning.
Lesson 13: Types of Poetry and VerseIn this lesson, we're going to list the different types of poetry, such as a haiku or a sonnet.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Poetry Writing 101Course Number: 7550295Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: General EducationCEU Value: 1.7 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsInstructor: Melissa BehrendSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $65.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $90.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Identify and demonstrate irony and tone.
- Identify and demonstrate denotation and connotation.
- Describe literal and figurative meanings.
- Define poetic devices A-Z.
- Describe rhyme and meter.
- Describe symbolism and archetypes.
- Describe cultural concepts.
- Summarize parody and translation.
- Describe and demonstrate free verse and blank verse.
- Describe sounds and meaning.
- Define types of poetry and verse, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
An Introduction Assignment 5 Lesson 1 Assignment Assignment 15 Lesson 1 Essay Assignment 30 Lesson 1: Introduction Exam 8 Lesson 2 Assignment Assignment 5 Lesson 2 Essay Assignment 25 Lesson 2: Irony and Tone Exam 8 Lesson 3 Assignment A Assignment 15 Lesson 3 Assignment B Assignment 15 Lesson 3 Essay Assignment 25 Lesson 3: Denotation and Connotation Exam 8 Lesson 4 Assignment A Assignment 15 Lesson 4 Assignment B Assignment 15 Lesson 4 Essay Assignment 15 Lesson 4: Literal and Figurative Meanings Exam 6 Lesson 5 Essay Assignment 25 Lesson 5: Poetic Devices A-I Exam 8 Lesson 6 Assignment A Assignment 15 Lesson 6 Assignment B Assignment 15 Lesson 6 Assignment C Assignment 15 Lesson 6 Essay Assignment 25 Lesson 6: Poetic Devices J-Z Exam 7 Lesson 7 Assignment A Assignment 15 Lesson 7 Assignment B Assignment 15 Lesson 7 Essay Assignment 25 Lesson 7: Rhyme and Meter Exam 7 Lesson 8 Essay Assignment 25 Lesson 8: Symbolism and Archetypes Exam 8 Lesson 9 Essay Assignment 25 Lesson 9: Cultural Concepts Exam 8 Lesson 10 Essay Assignment 25 Lesson 10: Parody and Translation Exam 8 Lesson 11 Essay Assignment 25 Lesson 11: Free Verse and Blank Verse Exam 8 Lesson 12 Assignment Assignment 15 Lesson 12 Essay Assignment 25 Lesson 12: Sounds and Meaning Exam 8 Lesson 13 Essay Assignment 25 Lesson 13: Types of Poetry and Verse Exam 8 The Final Exam Exam 46 Total Points: 641
Choose Your Subscription PlanCourse OnlyOne Course
No Certificate / No CEUs$65for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate X Includes CEUs X Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 courseCertificate CourseOne Course
Certificate & CEUs$90for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 coursePlatinum YearlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$189per yearYou save 50%!Billed once
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 12 Months No. of courses 500+Platinum MonthlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$59 first month$29.00 / each consecutive month thereafterBilled monthly
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete Monthly No. of courses 500+
- "I learned a lot and found the lessons most interesting. I am enrolling in the creative writing class next." -- Robert K.
- "The course was helpful. The instructor was very knowledgeable, and understanding. I think writing the essays was most helpful. By putting in writing what you have learned and expressing your personal feelings about the different aspects of poetry helped me to retain information. I also enjoyed writing poetry for my Chap Book. I know my poems are not perfect. I still find myself going back and re-writing and editing most of them." -- Barbara C.
- "Breaking down a poem and helping to explain the various parts was most helpful to me. Instructor was A++." -- Eddie M.
- "I really enjoyed doing this course. The topics were very helpful and I learned a lot." -- Antonia J.
- "I think that the whole thing was useful to me. I think the instructor was excellent in this field of study...she really knew what she was doing, and what she was talking about." -- Joslyn A.
- "Very pleased with the instructor and have taken other courses from her and enjoy them all." -- Jim B.
- "I really appreciated that the instructor asked for essays in each section. This clearly demonstrates much more commitment to teaching the course than self grading T/F and Multiple Choice exams - though these were used as well...I sought assistance from the Instructor so often I was concerned about being a pest. Without fail, the instructor was there with direct answers or responses, and though I'm certain she had other priorities, I always got a response NLT @12 hrs. Amazing commitment - almost like being in the classroom." -- William O.
- View More Testimonials...