Digital Photography 101
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this courseLoading...
You just bought your first digital camera and don't know the ins and outs of all those buttons. If that isn't daunting enough, the user's manual is pages thick and intimidating. Well, you've come to the right place.
Owning a great digital camera is no guarantee you will take great pictures. Over the years digital SLRs, and other digital cameras, have become affordable, more powerful and much more complicated. This Digital Photography course is designed to give you a comprehensive overview of digital camera designs and capabilities, and the series of steps to take great photographs. You'll learn about lenses, when to use them and how to select the right lens for your pictures. We take the mystery out of pixels, megapixels, filters, flashes, exposure meters and much more.
You know how important communication is. That's why we'll show you how to shoot photos that will enable others to feel what you do. And we'll show you how to tell a story through your pictures.Good composition is the hallmark of any outstanding photograph. We'll teach you the rules of good composition, the Rule of Thirds, style and background settings, and the S Rule.Learn the tricks of professional photographers, and how you can photograph and compose stand out black and white photos.
This Digital Photography course also teaches you ways to house your special memories forever. Should it be a family reunion, wedding, new baby or that special vacation, you'll learn how to incorporate camera tools to photograph stunning water reflections and mesmerizing sky images. Imagine creating professional looking imagery using your digital camera, the help of your PC and this online class.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1 What Is Digital Photography?Digital technology evolved from and is related to the same technology as television cameras. The Bing Crosby Laboratories and a research team funded by Crosby created the first videotape recorder.
Lesson 2: Understanding Your CameraDigital cameras have opened up a world of artistic expression not possible with conventional film photography. For this reason, the more you understand about the sophisticated parts of your camera, the better a photographer you will become.
Lesson 3 Digital Photography and Your Desktop ComputerAt a minimum, your computer should load your pictures onto its hard drive and print them out onto a higher grade paper. This is pretty simple and requires minimum practice to perfect the techniques.
Lesson 4 The Power of LightDaylight photos taken indoors are challenging for the best of photographers. You can improve your daylight photos by keeping a few things in mind.
Lesson 5 Still Life, Group, and Landscape PhotographyStill life has been described as a composition of several lifeless objects brought together by a certain theme. It can include arranging things on a tabletop and using lighting techniques or other still life methods.
Lesson 6 Exposure and Shutter SpeedIn this lesson, we will focus on the technical knowledge necessary for you to take professional-looking pictures. The digital camera, as a technical device, brings many functions into play. One function is digital camera metering.
Lesson 7: People and the EnvironmentThink about what happens when you page through an album of photos. Those photographs grab your attention if they have a subject and interesting surroundings.
Lesson 8: Magical Water PhotographyWe all love to see a rushing stream, a cascading waterfall, or the silky white look of rushing water. There are many layers involved to shooting a great water picture, or for that matter, any great picture.
Lesson 9: Improving Your Camera TechniquesYou have owned a digital camera for quite a while, yet you are just not satisfied with the way your photos are turning out. You think it could have something to do with your camera techniques.
Lesson 10: Understanding Image QualitySome of you are probably thinking, "What the heck are CMYK and RGB?" To explain, this is something you would need to be aware of if you decide to become a professional photographer and have a need to deliver "press-ready" digital photos.
Lesson 11: Black and White is BackIn a digital camera world, if you do not want the sky to be plain blue, you can change the color in a digital imaging program. There are photographers who would not even consider using camera filters as an option.
Lesson 12: PortraitsPortrait lenses are designed for the photographer who is passionate about people. Before you set out to buy a portrait lens, you need to own a digital single lens reflex (SLR) camera.
Lesson 13: Creative Tips for Your Photography Hobby or CareerMany photographers, perhaps even you, hope to become professionals and spend time hoping someone will give them their first assignment.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Digital Photography 101Course Number: 7550187Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: How ToCEU Value: 1.7 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: digitalphotography.onlineclasses.comInstructor: Eric ThomasSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $50.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $75.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Define what digital photography is.
- Describe the basic functions and features of a digital camera.
- Describe how digital photography utilizes the desktop PC.
- Summarize the usage of light in taking pictures.
- Summarize techniques used in travel photography.
- Describe exposure and shutter speeds and how they affect photography.
- Describe the best ways to photograph people.
- Describe image quality and what to do to enhance it.
- Create black and white pictures.
- Demonstrate portrait picture taking, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 1 What is Digital Photography Exam 9 Lesson 2 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 2 Understanding Your Camera Exam 8 Lesson 3 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 3 Digital Photography and Your Desktop Computer Exam 6 Lesson 4 Assignment A Assignment 25 Lesson 4 Assignment B Assignment 25 Lesson 4 Assignment C Assignment 25 Lesson 4 The Power of Light Exam 8 Lesson 5 Assignment A Assignment 25 Lesson 5 Assignment B Assignment 25 Lesson 5 Assignment C Assignment 25 Lesson 5 Travel Photography Exam 8 Lesson 6 Assignment A Assignment 25 Lesson 6 Assignment B Assignment 25 Lesson 6 Assignment C Assignment 25 Lesson 6 Exposure & Shutter Speed Exam 10 Lesson 7 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 7 People and The Environment Exam 10 Lesson 8 Assignment A Assignment 25 Lesson 8 Assignment B Assignment 25 Lesson 8 Assignment C Assignment 25 Lesson 8 Magical Water Photography Exam 9 Lesson 9 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 9 Improving Your Camera Techniques Exam 8 Lesson 10 Assignment A Assignment 25 Lesson 10 Assignment B Assignment 25 Lesson 10 Assignment C Assignment 25 Lesson 10 Understanding Image Quality Exam 8 Lesson 11 Assignment A Assignment 25 Lesson 11 Assignment B Assignment 25 Lesson 11 Assignment C Assignment 25 Lesson 11 Black and White is Back Exam 9 Lesson 12 Assignment A Assignment 25 Lesson 12 Assignment B Assignment 25 Lesson 12 Assignment C Assignment 25 Lesson 12 Portraits Exam 10 Lesson 13 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 13 Creative Tips For Your Photography Hobby/Career Exam 10 Total Points: 788
- "Wonderful experience! I appreciated the fact that the instructor did preview our actual work and gave constructive criticism. This course has already been recommended to many of my art teaching friends! I need more technical knowledge in photography and this course gave me so much to utilize in my own hobby and in my classroom art experience." -- Vicki M.
- "I enjoyed all of it. I think the assignments required me to expand my skills and knowledge." -- Bethia O.
- "Great course. Would take again if I needed to." -- Luis D.
- "I had a very great experience. I feel more confident taking pictures and knowing what all the functions mean." -- Rhonda A.
- "In addition to the reading for each lesson, I also liked the challenges of the assignments and the links to additional information. It really helped round out the topics. Thanks!" -- Barbara M.
- "The information provided was very helpful. I printed up every lesson and will use them for future reference." -- Bonnie C.
- "I really enjoyed learning more about using photo editing software. I am now hooked on black and white photo shots. All aspects of the course was useful to me. Learning about lighting, the 1/3 rule, framing, etc., all will help me with my photography hobby." -- Darlene F.
- View More Testimonials...