Buying and Selling Antiques and Collectibles
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this courseLoading...
Course DescriptionHow to Buy and Sell Antiques and Collectibles offers a highly successful approach to acquiring and selling antiques and collectibles for both fun and profit. This course incorporates many strategies of acquiring and selling desirable objects and pieces, with the goal of personal enjoyment and fulfillment.
All collectors start somewhere. It begins somehow, usually with an interest developed early on as a child. Almost mystically, the collection begins. Eventually, there comes a time when the collector desires to sell an antique or collectible, perhaps because it is a duplicate or to make room for another object.
Successful collectors learn what sells, and what to buy in order to sell later. Many of the most profitable collectors and dealers learn the principals necessary to trade, barter, acquire and sell both antiques and collectibles. They avoid expensive mistakes and missteps. They use knowledge as their best tool to acquire items for their collections or resale.
This course will present many strategies and concepts to prepare you for the path of becoming a successful buyer and seller of antiques and collectibles.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: Starting an Antique CollectionStarting an antique collection is a simple activity that offers the collector great personal enjoyment for a particular passion, and an opportunity for a profit.
Lesson 2: The History of AntiquingIt was not until the 18th century, with its development of the art and science of archaeology that produced the stimulus for both public and private collecting in earnest.
Lesson 3: What Types of Antiques to BuyThere are many different factors as to why specific items are chosen to collect.
Lesson 4: Collectibles Versus Just Plain Old StuffOld stuff is just that -- old stuff. It is not necessarily collectible or a good investment. Knowing the difference can significantly impact the profitability of your endeavors.
Lesson 5: Searching for Profitable AntiquesShopping and searching for antiques is a great way to spend a free afternoon.
Lesson 6: Detecting FakesOne concern shared among all antique collectors is purchasing a fake item.
Lesson 7: Setting the ValueThe determination of the value of an antique or collectible takes more than locating an item in a price guide or reviewing auction results.
Lesson 8: Buying from Antique DealersDealers often have those hard-to-find items on display and are ready to sell them to a collector.
Lesson 9: Antique Glassware, Furniture, and Other ItemsIn the world of collecting, antique glassware and furniture are extremely popular items that are constantly bought and sold.
Lesson 10: Care and Preservation of AntiquesSimple procedures and common sense go a long way toward making sure an item is properly preserved.
Lesson 11: Protecting Your InvestmentMost serious collectors insure their antiques and collectibles against many different kinds of losses.
Lesson 12: Learning about Your CollectionsMost avid collectors tend to specialize or find special niches that interest them, and then grow their collections.
Lesson 13: Where to Sell AntiquesAn important part of collecting antiques and collectibles is the selling of some of your items.
Lesson 14: How to Sell AntiquesBefore selling an antique or collectible, first find its value.
Lesson 15: Selling to DealersThere are both advantages and disadvantages to selling your object to a dealer.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Buying and Selling Antiques and CollectiblesCourse Number: 7550536Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: EntrepreneurialCEU Value: 1.0 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: collectibles.onlineclasses.comInstructor: Cathleen ChouinardSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $50.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $75.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe starting an antique collection.
- Summarize the history of antiquing.
- Describe what types of antiques to buy.
- Determine collectibles versus just plain old stuff.
- Describe searching for profitable antiques.
- Summarize methods for detecting fakes.
- Summarize setting the value.
- Determine buying from antique dealers.
- Describe antique glassware, furniture, and other items.
- Describe care and preservation of antiques.
- Describe protecting your investment.
- Summarize research methods to learn more about your collections.
- Summarize where to sell antiques.
- Describe how to sell antiques.
- Summarize the process and expectations for selling to dealers, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
An Introduction Assignment 5 Lesson 1 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 1 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 2 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 2 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 3 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 3 Exam Exam 9 Lesson 4 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 4 Exam Exam 9 Lesson 5 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 5 Exam Exam 9 Lesson 6 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 6 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 7 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 7 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 8 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 8 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 9 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 9 Exam Exam 9 Lesson 10 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 10 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 11 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 11 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 12 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 12 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 13 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 13 Exam Exam 9 Lesson 14 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 14 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 15 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 15 Exam Exam 8 The Final Exam Exam 66 Total Points: 589
- Antique Trader Antiques & Collectibles 2012 Price Guide (Antique Trader Antiques and Collectibles Price Guide)
- Antiquing For Dummies
- How to Make a Profit Buying & Selling Antiques & Collectibles Without Really Trying: The Almost Complete Guide to Antique Collecting
- How to Sell Antiques and Collectibles on eBay... And Make a Fortune!
- The Garage Sale Millionaire
- "A very pleasant instructor and always there to help. I felt very at ease and comfortable working with her. I would like to take another course with her in the near future. The course was a great help for me and very useful for future reference. I found the whole complete course helpful and have learnt so much. Excellent!" -- Sarah P.
- "I am glad I took the class, I definitely learned a lot. The content was very good. The teacher was prompt in replying and very pleasant." -- Teresa F.
- "I found all the information in the course to be helpful. I have my antiques and collectibles already, so now that I got all this information, I feel I'm ready to get the ball rolling." -- Raven H.
- "Good course and responsive instructor." -- Gerald D.
- "It was all good! I liked everything about it." -- BETTY J.
- "I enjoyed it." -- Donald D.