with CEU Certificate
Travel writing is a fun, interesting and fulfilling career. If your goal is to become a full-time travel writer who is able to live off your income from writing alone, it is important to understand that travel writing, like any other career, requires you to develop specific skills and to have perseverance in order to succeed.
There is a lot of competition in the field of travel writing. Some highly successful writers in this genre have compared their climb to success with those who aspire to become actors, songwriters or musicians. In other words, most aspiring writers work at other jobs while they build a reputation strong enough to financially support themselves on payment for their writing alone. How long it takes you to achieve that goal is dependent upon how ambitious you are and how well you write, but the average is between three and six years. Alternatively, you may only wish to earn extra money as a travel writer and continue working in the field you are already in; perhaps you travel frequently for your current job and feel you have a lot to share with others about the places you visit. You can create a great additional source of income as a travel writer this way.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: Do You Have What It Takes to Become a Travel Writer?This lesson will explain the basic, essential, and up-front requirements you will need to become a good travel writer.
Lesson 2: Types of Travel WritingThis lesson will introduce you to the different types of travel writing that are done in the publishing world.
Lesson 3: How to Write an Informative, Sellable Travel ArticleThis lesson will provide you with an "anatomy of an article." You will learn what the important aspects of a sellable, well-written article are, and will be given two assignments in this lesson.
Lesson 4: How and Where To Sell Your WorkThis lesson will introduce you to query letters and the basics of what to do and not do when preparing them. It will also provide reference you to informative books, guides and websites to help you further perfect your query writing skills.
Lesson 5: How to Retain Rights to Your Work for Re-saleThis lesson will explain the different copyrights assigned when a piece is sold. It will discuss subsequent selling of an article or other travel piece. It will also explain copyright laws as they pertain to written works in greater detail.
Lesson 6: Preparing "Clips" For Editors, Agents, and PublishersCreating a portfolio or compilation of published and/or written pieces is a writer's best strategy for getting hired. This lesson will show the student how to create a well-rounded, outstanding, professional portfolio that will increase assignments.
Lesson 7: Handling Rejection GracefullyRejection is simply part of the field of writing. It is such a large part, in fact, that this entire lesson is devoted to the topic. This lesson will explain some methods of dealing with rejection gracefully.
Lesson 8: Creating Article and Book ProposalsMost travel articles sold by experienced writers are not written prior to their sale; rather, they are proposed to publications and then written.
Lesson 9: Photographs Included?This lesson will discuss the different options a travel writer has when it comes to adding photographs to their assignments.
Lesson 10: Building Your Platform and ExpertiseThis lesson will explain how the travel writer can go about building a solid platform, and how to channel expertise to assist in developing a long-term writing career.
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Determine whether or not you have what it takes to be a travel writer.
- Describe the types of travel writing.
- Create a How-To Write travel article.
- Summarize how and where to sell your work.
- Describe how to retain rights to your work for re-sale.
- Prepare 'clips' for editors, agents and publishers.
- Summarize how to handle rejection gracefully.
- Summarize creating article and book proposals.
- Recognize when to include photographs.
- Describe ways to build your platform and expertise, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 1 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 2 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 3A Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 3B Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 3 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 4 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 5 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 6 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 7 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 8 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 9 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 10 Exam||Exam||10|
|The Final Exam||Exam||48|
- Journaling and Memoir Writing 101$65.001.1 CEUs
- Creative Writing for Beginners$65.001.0 CEUs
- Writing Women's Fiction 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Resume Writing 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Historical Fiction Writing 101$65.002.3 CEUs
- Paranormal Romance Writing 101$60.001.0 CEUs
- Writing Effective Persuasion 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Novel Writing 101$65.002.2 CEUs
- Creative Writing Workshop$65.001.3 CEUs
- ABCs of Technical Writing$65.001.1 CEUs
- Creative Writing 101$65.001.9 CEUs
- Advertising, Marketing and Sales Writing$70.001.2 CEUs
- Freelance Writing 101$65.001.2 CEUs
- Mystery Writing 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Romance Writing 101$70.001.2 CEUs
- Nonfiction Writing 101$65.001.2 CEUs
- Travel Writing 101$70.001.0 CEUs
- How to Write a Business Plan 101$65.000.9 CEUs