with CEU Certificate
Basic Gardening will take you from the basic plant parts, and why they are important all the way to the production of fruit. You will discover the importance of having good soil, and what that means, and how to correct it in your yard. The gardener's best friend is the composter, and the beginning gardener needs to understand just what composting is and why that is such an important skill. Becoming more aware of the ecology of our world and how we can work with it rather than against it is a very important lesson.
You will also learn about plant hardiness and planting zones; about the most important date in a gardener's life: the date of the last spring frost. You will learn about plant propagation, the proper care of seedlings, and how to care for newly transplanted additions to your garden. You will even learn how to repel pests and attract butterflies and hummingbirds to your yard. Basic Gardening is a class to give the novice gardener all the basic information necessary to begin the most popular U.S. hobby to date: gardening.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson One. Gardening BasicsTo really become a good gardener it is important that you understand the process, from the ground up. By learning about how things grow, starting with a seed in most cases, you can get an idea of gardening. This lesson focuses on the basics.
Lesson Two. Where to StartTo get started gardening there must first be a planning stage. Decide on the best possible location. Determine the purpose your garden will serve. This lesson looks at garden placement and purpose, and why they are important.
Lesson Three. Secrets to Great SoilTo really have a great garden you must first understand soil. This is because it is the basis of where the plant will grow. This lesson explains the different types of soil, how to compost, and which type of soil is better for gardening.
Lesson Four. Garden MaintenanceWater is essential for life, especially when it comes to gardening. In this lesson you will learn the basics of water. It will be beneficial in determining what type of plants to grow and how to water your garden.
Lesson Five. Pest ControlPests go hand in hand with gardening. They are a part of life. Knowing what type of pests may infiltrate your garden will help you rid your garden of them. This lesson looks at typical garden pests and removal methods.
Lesson Six. Solutions to Difficult GardeningIn this lesson you will learn some size constraints that gardeners may run into. They exist whether living in an apartment or a single family home. This lesson will give some solutions to some of the sizing problems that you may encounter.
Lesson Seven. Plant PropagationThis lesson explains what plan propagation is and what the different classifications involve. You will learn from a local gardening expert, why and how to take cuts, as well as how to start planting seeds.
Lesson Eight. Flower GardenA very popular way to get started in gardening is to grow a flower garden. There are different types of flowers to choose from and this lesson will break them down so that you know which is the best route for you to take.
Lesson Nine. Vegetable GardenWhat could be better than harvesting your own vegetables and preparing them for the family? In this lesson you will learn some of the basics of vegetable gardening and be on your way to preparing a great salad.
Lesson Ten. Herb GardenHerb gardens are easy to grow and can be a great kitchen resource. This lesson explains herb gardening from what grows easily to the various ways the herbs can be used.
Lesson Eleven. Specialty GardensThere are other types of gardens beyond vegetables, flowers, and herbs. In this lesson you will be introduced to some specialty gardens and learn what they consist.
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe where to start.
- Describe the secrets to great soil.
- Summarize garden maintenance.
- Summarize pest and disease control.
- Summarize solutions to difficult gardening.
- Describe plant propagation.
- Summarize how to create a flower garden.
- Summarize how to create a vegetable garden.
- Summarize how to create a herb garden, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment: Getting Started||Assignment||15|
|Lesson One: Gardening Basics||Exam||10|
|Lesson 2 Assignment: Determining Location||Assignment||15|
|Lesson Two: Where to Start||Exam||10|
|Lesson 3 Assignment: Composting||Assignment||15|
|Lesson Three: Secrets to Great Soil||Exam||11|
|Lesson 4 Assignment: Seasons Change||Assignment||20|
|Lesson Four: Garden Maintenance||Exam||11|
|Lesson 5 Assignment: Pest Control Methods||Assignment||20|
|Lesson Five: Pest and Disease Control||Exam||10|
|Lesson 6 Assignment: Limited Space||Assignment||15|
|Lesson Six: Solutions to Difficult Gardening||Exam||11|
|Lesson 7 Assignment: Determining Best Route||Assignment||15|
|Lesson Seven: Plant Propagation||Exam||11|
|Lesson 8 Assignment: Flower Gardens||Assignment||15|
|Lesson Eight: Flower Garden||Exam||4|
|Lesson 9 Assignment: Growing Veggies||Assignment||15|
|Lesson Nine: Vegetable Garden||Exam||6|
|Lesson 10 Assignment: Easy Herbs||Assignment||15|
|Lesson Ten: Herb Garden||Exam||6|
|Lesson 11 Assignment: Growing a Garden||Assignment||30|
|Lesson Eleven: Specialty Gardens||Exam||6|
- How to Can, Freeze, Dry and Preserve Food$55.001.0 CEUs
- Nutrition 101$65.001.1 CEUs
- How To Draw 101$95.001.0 CEUs
- Aromatherapy 101$60.001.1 CEUs
- Housekeeping 101$50.000.6 CEUs
- Knitting 101$60.001.0 CEUs
- Wedding Planning 101$70.001.2 CEUs
- Interior Decorating Made Easy$70.000.8 CEUs
- Candle Making 101$60.001.0 CEUs
- All About Herbs$55.001.1 CEUs
- Soap Making 101$60.000.7 CEUs
- Cake Decorating 101$60.001.4 CEUs
- Pie Baking 101$60.000.6 CEUs
- Bird Watching 101: Food, Feeders and Behavior$60.000.9 CEUs
- Genealogy 101$55.001.2 CEUs
- Etiquette 101$65.001.2 CEUs
- Homeopathy 101$60.000.8 CEUs
- Buying and Selling Antiques and Collectibles$55.001.0 CEUs
- Aromatherapy (Intermediate to Advanced)$65.001.0 CEUs
- Traditional Scrapbooking 101$54.001.5 CEUs
- Etiquette for Children and Teens 101$55.001.0 CEUs
- Sewing 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Fashion Design 101: An Introduction$65.001.0 CEUs
- Feng Shui 101$65.001.4 CEUs
- How to Start a Craft Business 101$70.001.0 CEUs
- Interior Design 101$70.001.0 CEUs
- Flower Essences 101$60.001.1 CEUs
- Therapeutic Bathing 101$55.000.8 CEUs
- Landscaping 101$60.000.9 CEUs
- Clutter Control 101$60.000.7 CEUs