Online Class: Vietnam War
The North Vietnamese received military and economic assistance from the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR) and the People's Republic of China (Communist China), which greatly prolonged the conflict and created a significantly more difficult obstacle for the U.S. Armed Forces to surmount. What followed was one of the most brutal and unique wars ever fought by America.
Lesson 1: A History of VietnamVietnam has a very long history and it is a strategically-located country in Southeast Asia, which has led to a number of subjugations of its peoples over the centuries.
Lesson 2: War-Time Technology & Weapons of the Vietnam WarLike previous wars in the twentieth century, the Vietnam War saw the introduction of a number of new technological innovations in the area of weaponry and support material.
Lesson 3: The Road To WarFollowing the conclusion of the Second World War and the Korean War, a number of events would set in motion America's inevitable involvement in yet another military conflict in Indochina.
Lesson 4: The Beginning of the WarFollowing the partition of Vietnam into north and south halves, a number of events were set into motion that would bring about another full-scale military conflict in Indochina.
Lesson 5: President Johnson and the Vietnam WarThe assassinations of President Kennedy and of Ngo Dinh Diem had a tremendous impact on the events in Vietnam.
Lesson 6: Making Battle PlansOnce American marines were on the ground in Vietnam, it was clear to everyone that the United States' involvement in the situation would involve the use of our military might. The ground war began in earnest after March, 1965, as the U.S.
Lesson 7: Wading into the WarWith their war strategies of attrition and erosion firmly in place, U.S. military commanders commenced the ground war.
Lesson 8: Major U.S. Offensives in South Vietnam, Part IWith two quick early successes to spur them on, the United States proceeded with all speed to execute their strategic goals of attrition and erosion of the North Vietnamese forces and the Vietcong.
Lesson 9: Major U.S. Offensives in South Vietnam, Part IIAs the war broadened and escalated in intensity, the United States remained committed to their original two-pronged military strategy.
Lesson 10: The Tet OffensiveBetween January and September of 1968, the North Vietnamese Army embarked on their most aggressive and ambitious plan to hit U.S. and ARVN command and control centers in South Vietnam.
Lesson 11: The End of the War - U.S. Forces Leave VietnamAfter nearly a decade of fighting, the American people began to grow weary of the conflict in Vietnam.
Lesson 12: The Aftermath of the Vietnam WarImmediately following the withdrawal of the last troops and U.S. advisory personnel from Vietnam, the capitol of Saigon fell. With the defeat of South Vietnam, all of the country was united under the communist rule of Ho Chi Minh.
Appendix and Works CitedAppendix and Works Cited
- Summarize the history of Vietnam.
- Describe war-time technology and weapons of the Vietnam War.
- Describe the road to war.
- Describe the beginning of the war.
- Summarize President Johnson and the Vietnam War.
- Describe the battle plans of the war.
- Summarize the Tet Offensive.
- Summarize the aftermath of the vietnam war.
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- "Excellent course!!! Very knowledgeable instructor who always offered feedback. The lesson videos that he presents helps so much." -- Cheryl S.
- "Great course, I learned a lot and the instructor is very knowledgeable." -- Kathy L.
- "The instructor was so professional and knowledgeable it made the whole experience incredible." -- Terrie C.
- "I had learned a lot about the Vietnam War that I did not know." -- Patricia T.
- "Excellent course. Excellent instructor." -- George M.
- "I felt the entire course was very helpful and well put together. The Instructor for this course was extremely good job and knows the subject well." -- Micah S.
- "I talked (emailed) with the insturctor several times. Being a Vietnam Vet, this course was very personal to me. My insturctor was very compassonite at times and very well versed in the subject." -- Paul S.
- "Love your courses!!!" -- Kyle B.
- "I wanted to learn about the war, that's what it taught me.AWESOME INSTRUCTOR!!!!!! He should be given a prize ;)" -- Riley Z.
- 19 hours 1.9 CEUs History of Terrorism 101 + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs American Literature Review + More Info
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Cosmology 101: A Simple Guide to the Universe + More Info
- 16 hours 1.6 CEUs The Gulf War + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Astronomy 101 + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs History of the Universe + More Info
- 9 hours 0.9 CEUs Bible Stories + More Info
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Buddhism 101 + More Info
- 16 hours 1.6 CEUs Judaism 101: An Introduction + More Info
- 12 hours 1.2 CEUs Philosophy 101 + More Info
- 9 hours 0.9 CEUs World Religions 101 + More Info