ABCs of English Grammar
- OR -
with CEU Certificate*
with CEU Certificate*
Start Right Now!
Taking multiple courses? Save with our platinum program.
have taken this course
Course DescriptionThis self-paced online course will provide you with a review of the grammar and writing skills necessary when taking any high school or college test, or with your everyday work-related writing and correspondence.
Divided up into 15 easy-to-understand lessons, this grammar course concentrates on usage, the mechanics of a sentence, spelling, and a general review of grammatical problem areas. Each lesson focuses on frequent errors, gives examples, suggests strategies, and offers further study guides.
This course is ideal for all types of students who want to get an edge on taking a high school, college, or a job related English exam and anyone wishing to update and improve their grammar skills.If you're looking for a quick and efficient review of basic grammar skills, ABCs of English Grammar will meet your needs. This online class is not only for students prepping for high school and college English exams, but anyone who feels their grammar skills are not up to par. Divided into easy-to-understand lessons, this grammar course concentrates on usage, the mechanics of a sentence, spelling, and a general review of grammatical problem areas. Each lesson focuses on frequent errors, gives examples, suggests strategies, and offers further study guides.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Introduction to Grammar 101This first lesson will provide an overview and set a guide for this course.
Subject and PredicateThe definitions and examples of a subject and predicate.
Nouns and PronounsThis lesson defines nouns and the different forms of pronouns.
Verb TensesThis lesson discusses the three main tenses of verbs and their sub-categories.
Common Irregular VerbsCommon Irregular Verbs
Adjectives and AdverbsAdjectives and Adverbs
The PhraseThe Phrase
The ClauseThe clause is a more complete group of words than a phrase.
Review the Mechanics of a SentenceThis lesson will define and provide examples of errors that form various sentence forms (such as a run-on sentence). This lesson will also provide a review of punctuation rules, capitalization rules, and the role of modifiers.
The Role of ModifiersHere we discuss how sentence meaning can be misconstrued with simple word misplacement and how to fix it.
Introduction to CapitalizationThis lesson is a basic introduction for capitalization.
Introduction to PunctuationThis lesson is an introduction to basic punctuation.
Review of SpellingThis lesson will provide a guide of frequently misspelled words as well as a spelling guide strategy list.
Review of DictionThis lesson will discuss the powerful role of words in a sentence and the frequent errors that tend to occur.
Summary and Additional ResourcesAdditional Resources
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: ABCs of English GrammarCourse Number: 7550403Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: General EducationCEU Value: 1.5 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: englishgrammar.onlineclasses.comInstructor: Daphnee St.ValSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $50.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $75.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Recognize the subject and predicate of any sentence.
- Know the differences between nouns and pronouns.
- Be comfortable with forming sentences with the correct verb tenses.
- Recognize irregular verbs.
- Differentiate between adjectives and adverbs and use them properly in sentences.
- Understand what is meant by a Phrase.
- Identify the Clause.
- Break down the mechanics of a sentence.
- Identify the role of modifiers and use them correctly.
- Correctly use capitalization in writing.
- Correctly punctuate sentences.
- Avoid common spelling problems, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Subject and Predicate Agreement Assignment 15 Subject Verb Agreement Exam 40 Subject and Predicate Exam Exam 13 Noun & Pronouns Assignment 2 Assignment 10 Nouns and Pronouns Assignment 10 Case of Nouns and Pronouns Exam 10 Nouns and Pronouns Exam Exam 10 Exercise on Verb Tense Assignment 10 Verbs Exam 25 Exercise on Irregular Verbs Assignment 10 Irregular Verbs Exam Exam 7 Exercise on Adjectives Assignment 10 Adjectives and Adverbs Exam 10 Adjectives and Adverbs Exam Exam 10 The Phrase Exam Exam 14 The Clause Exam Exam 12 Sentence Corrections Assignment 10 Run-On sentences Exam 45 Sentence Logic Exam 50 Modifiers Assignment 12 Modifiers Exam 25 Capitalization Exam 20 Punctuation Assignment 37 Punctuation Exam 16 Spelling Exam 2 Exam 13 Spelling Exam 3 Exam 7 Final Exam Exam 382 Total Points: 833
- "Most helpful were The Mechanics of the Sentence and Introduction to Punctuation because it was an area I needed to work on." -- Robert C.
- "All of the lessons were helpful. This online course really made me feel like I was in a classroom. The instructor was great, and the lessons will motivate you to succeed." -- Renee B.
- "I enjoyed this class and learned alot from it. Good Class! The instructor was great very prompt to answer emails. Will be taking another subject with UniversalClass very soon." -- Rita R.
- "Instructor was very helpful." -- Lisa M.
- "This instructor is very smart and helped me get through a very difficult class." -- Lisa G.
- "My instructor was very helpful and patient. She always got back to me right away!" -- Karin P.
- "The instructor was very good, took time to help me and worked with me very well. The course was organized very well. Lessons were easy to understand and the assignments and exams followed what was in the lesson." -- Marlis W.
- View More Testimonials...