ABCs of English Grammar
- OR -
with CEU Certificate*
with CEU Certificate*
Start Right Now!
Taking multiple courses? Save with our platinum program.
have taken this course
Course DescriptionThis self-paced online course will provide you with a review of the grammar and writing skills necessary when taking any high school or college test, or with your everyday work-related writing and correspondence.
Divided up into 15 easy-to-understand lessons, this grammar course concentrates on usage, the mechanics of a sentence, spelling, and a general review of grammatical problem areas. Each lesson focuses on frequent errors, gives examples, suggests strategies, and offers further study guides.
This course is ideal for all types of students who want to get an edge on taking a high school, college, or a job related English exam and anyone wishing to update and improve their grammar skills.If you're looking for a quick and efficient review of basic grammar skills, ABCs of English Grammar will meet your needs. This online class is not only for students prepping for high school and college English exams, but anyone who feels their grammar skills are not up to par. Divided into easy-to-understand lessons, this grammar course concentrates on usage, the mechanics of a sentence, spelling, and a general review of grammatical problem areas. Each lesson focuses on frequent errors, gives examples, suggests strategies, and offers further study guides.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Feedback
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Introduction to Grammar 101This first lesson will provide an overview and set a guide for this course.
Subject and PredicateThe definitions and examples of a subject and predicate.
Nouns and PronounsThis lesson defines nouns and the different forms of pronouns.
Verb TensesThis lesson discusses the three main tenses of verbs and their sub-categories.
Common Irregular VerbsCommon Irregular Verbs
Adjectives and AdverbsAdjectives and Adverbs
The PhraseThe Phrase
The ClauseThe clause is a more complete group of words than a phrase.
Review the Mechanics of a SentenceThis lesson will define and provide examples of errors that form various sentence forms (such as a run-on sentence). This lesson will also provide a review of punctuation rules, capitalization rules, and the role of modifiers.
The Role of ModifiersHere we discuss how sentence meaning can be misconstrued with simple word misplacement and how to fix it.
Introduction to CapitalizationThis lesson is a basic introduction for capitalization.
Introduction to PunctuationThis lesson is an introduction to basic punctuation.
Review of SpellingThis lesson will provide a guide of frequently misspelled words as well as a spelling guide strategy list.
Review of DictionThis lesson will discuss the powerful role of words in a sentence and the frequent errors that tend to occur.
Summary and Additional ResourcesAdditional Resources
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: ABCs of English GrammarCourse Number: 7550403Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: General EducationCEU Value: 1.5 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsInstructor: Daphnee St.ValSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $50.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $75.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Recognize the subject and predicate of any sentence.
- Know the differences between nouns and pronouns.
- Be comfortable with forming sentences with the correct verb tenses.
- Recognize irregular verbs.
- Differentiate between adjectives and adverbs and use them properly in sentences.
- Understand what is meant by a Phrase.
- Identify the Clause.
- Break down the mechanics of a sentence.
- Identify the role of modifiers and use them correctly.
- Correctly use capitalization in writing.
- Correctly punctuate sentences.
- Avoid common spelling problems, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Introduction Assignment 1 Subject and Predicate Agreement Assignment 15 Subject Verb Agreement Exam 40 Subject and Predicate Exam Exam 13 Noun & Pronouns Assignment 2 Assignment 10 Nouns and Pronouns Assignment 10 Case of Nouns and Pronouns Exam 10 Nouns and Pronouns Exam Exam 10 Exercise on Verb Tense Assignment 10 Verbs Exam 25 Exercise on Irregular Verbs Assignment 10 Irregular Verbs Exam Exam 7 Exercise on Adjectives Assignment 10 Adjectives and Adverbs Exam 10 Adjectives and Adverbs Exam Exam 10 The Phrase Exam Exam 14 The Clause Exam Exam 12 Sentence Corrections Assignment 10 Run-On sentences Exam 45 Sentence Logic Exam 50 Modifiers Assignment 12 Modifiers Exam 25 Capitalization Exam 20 Punctuation Assignment 37 Punctuation Exam 16 Spelling Exam 2 Exam 13 Spelling Exam 3 Exam 7 Final Exam Exam 382 Total Points: 834
Choose Your Subscription PlanCourse OnlyOne Course
No Certificate / No CEUs$50for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate X Includes CEUs X Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 courseCertificate CourseOne Course
Certificate & CEUs$75for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 coursePlatinum YearlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$189per yearYou save 50%!Billed once
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 12 Months No. of courses 500+Platinum MonthlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$59 first month$29.00 / month thereafterBilled monthly
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete Monthly No. of courses 500+
- "Great instructor. She answered my questions and was always available and prompt. Very knowledgeable. Nice job!" -- Karen B.
- "The instructor is such a lovely woman! She wants to help in any way she can! I can't wait to take another one of her classes! :)" -- Rebecca E.
- "Very knowledgeable and fast to return grades, etc. Lots of extra material was provided as online resources with easy to access links and lots of practice material." -- Dawn L.
- "I found this course very helpful. I was born and raised in a non-English speaking country and never received any English lessons, ever. My biggest problem with the written English is sentence structure and punctuation. My instructor is wonderful, quick to respond to my e-mails with encouraging remarks." -- Hanna D.
- "All the information was helpful, including the layouts and explanations. My instructor was fabulous. This is not an area of expertise for me. She understood and atta-girled me at every area that I tried." -- Doree A.
- "I was surprised by the amount of information covered, but it was all relevant to me. It has been over 20 years since high school English class, so it was needed." -- Stacie D.
- "Most helpful were The Mechanics of the Sentence and Introduction to Punctuation because it was an area I needed to work on." -- Robert C.
- View More Testimonials...