Landlord 101: Managing Rental Properties
- OR -
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this course
Have you ever wanted to be a landlord? This multi-faceted career can be challenging and rewarding both personally and financially. Our course provides a broad yet detailed examination of the many areas that a property manager must blend together to be successful. Lesson 1 asks the question: are you ready to be a landlord? It focuses on the disciplines involved in property management and discusses planning and goal setting. In Lesson 2, you'll discover the benefits of commercial and residential properties, and what types of tenants will be renting from you. We explain what to do before purchasing a property and how to make an offer in Lesson 3.
Ownership rights and responsibilities are discussed in Lesson 4, including laws and regulations you must abide by. Lesson 5 examines the financial factors to consider and how to set rental prices. You'll learn how to choose the best tenants and how to attract them to your property in Lesson 6. Dealing with tenants (and how to avoid bad ones) makes up Lesson 7.
Lesson 8 covers handling tenant issues and explains the eviction process. We focus on the lease in Lesson 9 by explaining how to create a lease and the lease dispute resolution options are available to you. Lesson 10 will help you understand the five types of property maintenance and describes common trouble spots. In Lesson 11 we discuss financing options for purchasing your property. The course concludes with Lesson 12, which explains how to sell your property.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Feedback
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
- Accredited CEUs
Request More Information
Have a question? Check out our FAQ
or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1. A Career in Income Property Management
This lesson introduces you to property ownership and management. We cover the basics of property ownership requirements and discuss setting personal and financial goals 18 Total Points
- Lesson 1 Video
- Review 2 Articles: Landlord Resources; Property Management Goals
- Take Poll: Rental Property
- Complete Assignment: An Introduction
- Complete: Lesson 1 Assignment
- Complete: Lesson 1 Exam
Lesson 2. Property Types
This lesson covers the two primary real estate classifications: commercial property and residential property. We examine retail, industrial, and office buildings, and discuss what to look for in a commercial property. Then we cover residential investments 10 Total Points
- Lesson 2 Video
- Review 3 Articles: Three Types of Commercial Properties; Property Management Software; Residential Rental Property Management
- Complete: Lesson 2 Assignment
- Complete: Lesson 2 Exam
Lesson 3. Buying Your Property
This lesson covers the steps involved in purchasing an income property. We will start with analyzing a property, then discuss financing options, and continue with the strategy of making an offer. We end with an examination of the basics of a purchase and 15 Total Points
- Lesson 3 Video
- Review 3 Articles: Finding Good Investment Property; Checklist for Buying Rental Property; How to Get Financing for Rental Properties
- Complete: Lesson 3 Assignment
- Complete: Lesson 3 Exam
Lesson 4. Rights and Responsibilities
This lesson covers the obligations that are involved in landlord and tenant relationships. We begin with the responsibilities you have as a property manager, including your duty to maintain the property. Next, we provide an overview of income property. 14 Total Points
- Lesson 4 Video
- Review Article: Responsibilities and Rights
- Complete: Lesson 4 Assignment
- Complete: Lesson 4 Exam
Lesson 5. Financial Considerations
This lesson covers the financial aspects of managing properties. Starting with elements of a budget, we proceed to a discussion about setting your rental prices. We conclude with the tax implications of property ownership. 14 Total Points
- Lesson 5 Video
- Review Article: Setting the Rental Price
- Complete: Lesson 5 Assignment
- Complete: Lesson 5 Exam
Lesson 6. Tenants
This lesson covers how to attract and retain quality tenants. We start with a discussion on how to reach the best possible prospects. Then we will examine how to choose the tenants you want. The lesson concludes by offering ways to keep good tenants. 13 Total Points
- Lesson 6 Video
- Review Article: Commercial Landlord-Tenant Law
- Take Poll: Tenant Qualities
- Complete: Lesson 6 Assignment
- Complete: Lesson 6 Exam
Lesson 7. Dealing with Tenants
This lesson covers a property manager's greatest challenge, the tenants. We will discuss things that can go wrong, how to avoid bad tenants, and an effective approach to handling situations involving tenants. 15 Total Points
- Lesson 7 Video
- Review 2 Articles: Dealing with Tenants; Good Tenant-Landlord Relationships
- Complete: Lesson 7 Assignment
- Complete: Lesson 7 Exam
Lesson 8. Tenant Issues
This lesson covers the management of issues involving tenant behavior. We will discuss how to manage tenant behavior, five common problems involving tenants, and the eviction process. 14 Total Points
- Lesson 8 Video
- Review 2 Articles: Evicting a Tenant; Feuding Tenants
- Take Poll: Tenant Issues
- Complete: Lesson 8 Assignment
- Complete: Lesson 8 Exam
Lesson 9. Creating a Lease
This lesson covers the essential tool for property managers, the lease agreement. We will explain the importance of a lease then cover essential terms within a lease. The lesson concludes with a brief discussion on how to resolve disputes regarding the le 15 Total Points
- Lesson 9 Video
- Review 2 Articles: The Landlord Protection Agency; Sample Residential Lease
- Complete: Lesson 9 Assignment
- Complete: Lesson 9 Exam
Lesson 10. Property Maintenance
This lesson covers maintenance issues involved in property management. We discuss the types of maintenance required and examine common areas that may need maintenance. 13 Total Points
- Lesson 10 Video
- Review 2 Articles: 10 Questions for Potential Maintenance Workers; Renovations: DIY vs. Professional
- Complete: Lesson 10 Assignment
- Complete: Lesson 10 Exam
Lesson 11. Financing
This lesson covers the elements of financing an income property purchase. We start with fundamental concepts and what lenders look for. Next, loan types are discussed. The lesson finishes with some creative ways to finance a purchase. 15 Total Points
- Lesson 11 Video
- Review 2 Articles: Mortgage Loan Types; Financing Commerical Properties with Mortgage Loans
- Complete: Lesson 11 Assignment
- Complete: Lesson 11 Exam
Lesson 12. Selling Your Property
This lesson covers the process of selling an income property. We explore whether a real estate broker is necessary then discuss the selling approach. The lesson finishes with an examination of what buyers look for. 58 Total Points
- Lesson 12 Video
- Review Article: Selling Rental Property
- Take Poll: Let us know what you think of this course
- Take Survey: Program Evaluation Follow-up Survey (End of Course)
- Complete: Lesson 12 Assignment
- Complete: Lesson 12 Exam
- Complete: The Final Exam
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Landlord 101: Managing Rental Properties
English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countries
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earned.
Lesson assignments and review exams
UniversalClass Staff Instructor
Continuous: Enroll anytime!
- "I think the whole course was helpful. It covered a wide range of topics. I really liked the way it was presented. Very clear. " -- Aldarico D.
- "I have no complaints." -- Dinorah G.
- "Many of the marketing ideas were great and some were immediately useful to me." -- Tommy H.
- "Good course and instructor." -- Leonard Q.
- "The total scope of the course and what would be involved in becoming a Property Manager was most helpful. It emphasized the many areas you would have to know to be successful. The course was very useful and the instructor was encouraging.
" -- Blair W.
- "The class was a great experience for me and I am glad that they have schools like this to help people." -- Jonathan P.
- "I absolutely enjoyed this course. I felt that the reading material was easy to read and understand. My husband and I have purchased a couples of 3 flat buildings. I feel that the course has been very helpful, I have learned a lot by taking this course. Now the knowledge that I have gained by taking this course will be helpful to us in being landlords." -- Doris C.
- View More Testimonials...