Landlord 101: Managing Rental Properties
with CEU Certificate*
0Studentshave taken this course
Have you ever wanted to be a landlord? This multi-faceted career can be challenging and rewarding both personally and financially. Our course provides a broad yet detailed examination of the many areas that a property manager must blend together to be successful. Lesson 1 asks the question: are you ready to be a landlord? It focuses on the disciplines involved in property management and discusses planning and goal setting. In Lesson 2, you'll discover the benefits of commercial and residential properties, and what types of tenants will be renting from you. We explain what to do before purchasing a property and how to make an offer in Lesson 3.
Ownership rights and responsibilities are discussed in Lesson 4, including laws and regulations you must abide by. Lesson 5 examines the financial factors to consider and how to set rental prices. You'll learn how to choose the best tenants and how to attract them to your property in Lesson 6. Dealing with tenants (and how to avoid bad ones) makes up Lesson 7.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More Information
Lesson 1. A Career in Income Property ManagementThis lesson introduces you to property ownership and management. We cover the basics of property ownership requirements and discuss setting personal and financial goals
Lesson 2. Property TypesThis lesson covers the two primary real estate classifications: commercial property and residential property. We examine retail, industrial, and office buildings, and discuss what to look for in a commercial property. Then we cover residential investments
Lesson 3. Buying Your PropertyThis lesson covers the steps involved in purchasing an income property. We will start with analyzing a property, then discuss financing options, and continue with the strategy of making an offer. We end with an examination of the basics of a purchase and
Lesson 4. Rights and ResponsibilitiesThis lesson covers the obligations that are involved in landlord and tenant relationships. We begin with the responsibilities you have as a property manager, including your duty to maintain the property. Next, we provide an overview of income property.
Lesson 5. Financial ConsiderationsThis lesson covers the financial aspects of managing properties. Starting with elements of a budget, we proceed to a discussion about setting your rental prices. We conclude with the tax implications of property ownership.
Lesson 6. TenantsThis lesson covers how to attract and retain quality tenants. We start with a discussion on how to reach the best possible prospects. Then we will examine how to choose the tenants you want. The lesson concludes by offering ways to keep good tenants.
Lesson 7. Dealing with TenantsThis lesson covers a property manager's greatest challenge, the tenants. We will discuss things that can go wrong, how to avoid bad tenants, and an effective approach to handling situations involving tenants.
Lesson 8. Tenant IssuesThis lesson covers the management of issues involving tenant behavior. We will discuss how to manage tenant behavior, five common problems involving tenants, and the eviction process.
Lesson 9. Creating a LeaseThis lesson covers the essential tool for property managers, the lease agreement. We will explain the importance of a lease then cover essential terms within a lease. The lesson concludes with a brief discussion on how to resolve disputes regarding the le
Lesson 10. Property MaintenanceThis lesson covers maintenance issues involved in property management. We discuss the types of maintenance required and examine common areas that may need maintenance.
Lesson 11. FinancingThis lesson covers the elements of financing an income property purchase. We start with fundamental concepts and what lenders look for. Next, loan types are discussed. The lesson finishes with some creative ways to finance a purchase.
Lesson 12. Selling Your PropertyThis lesson covers the process of selling an income property. We explore whether a real estate broker is necessary then discuss the selling approach. The lesson finishes with an examination of what buyers look for.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- Summarize career opportunities in income property management.
- Define property types.
- Summarize buying your property.
- Describe rights and responsibilities.
- Summarize financial considerations.
- Define tenants and what to look for in a tenant.
- Describe dealing with tenants.
- Summarize common tenant issues and how to resolve them.
- Create a lease.
- Describe property maintenance responsibilities.
- Determine when to sell the property, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||5|
|Lesson 1 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||5|
|Lesson 2 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||Assignment||5|
|Lesson 3 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||5|
|Lesson 4 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||5|
|Lesson 5 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||5|
|Lesson 6 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||5|
|Lesson 7 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||5|
|Lesson 8 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||5|
|Lesson 9 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||5|
|Lesson 10 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||5|
|Lesson 11 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 12 Assignment||Assignment||5|
|Lesson 12 Exam||Exam||8|
|The Final Exam||Exam||48|
- "The class was a great experience for me and I am glad that they have schools like this to help people." -- Jonathan P.
- "I absolutely enjoyed this course. I felt that the reading material was easy to read and understand. My husband and I have purchased a couples of 3 flat buildings. I feel that the course has been very helpful, I have learned a lot by taking this course. Now the knowledge that I have gained by taking this course will be helpful to us in being landlords." -- Doris C.
- "My course instructor was excellent." -- Bryan S.
- "I loved how the video pretty much matched the text. I am more of a visual learner than just reading." -- Shane N.
- "Enjoyed the videos and Tests.. Great refrence Websites!!" -- Matthew T.
- "The entire class was very helpful." -- Deven H.
- "All of it was very useful. I would like try my hand at owning and renting a property. The course was very interesting and the instructor was great." -- Helen C.
- View More Testimonials...