ESL Basic Grammar and Writing
with CEU Certificate*
0Studentshave taken this course
- review the basic English structure in the form of nouns, verbs, prepositions, adjectives and adverbs
- review the proper use of pronouns, prepositions, and conjunctions
- practice sentence structure and mastering subject-verb agreement
- cover writing basics
- improve reading comprehension
- increase your vocabulary
- learn how to write clearly and more effectively
- learn how to organize your thoughts and write a personal or business letter
Whether you are learning English as a second language or are a native speaker striving to improve your English and writing skills, using proper grammar rules and writing guidelines are essential building blocks to creating clear and understandable thought processes and ideas.
Communication is vital in today's society. It is not enough to merely be able to speak and understand spoken English. In the United States, English writing and comprehension is a necessary job skill for nearly all job industries and career paths. In order to develop practical writing skills, you must understand the basics of English grammar and sentence structure.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More Information
Lesson 1: Introduction to ESL GrammarThe study of any language might often be frustrating and confusing. However, to make oneself understood in any area of society, one must learn how to speak correctly and properly in order to encourage job placement, career advances, and the ability to com
Lesson 2: NounsProper use of nouns will help to create clear and accurate sentence structure. This lesson will also discuss proper nouns, plural nouns, noun-verb agreements and other aspects of one of the most common and basic structures in English.
Lesson 3: VerbsVerbs express action. They can also express certain conditions or states of being. In a properly constructed English sentence, a verb is usually connected to somebody or something doing or performing the action.
Lesson 4: Using Pronouns ProperlyThis lesson will introduce and offer basic explanations and examples for the use of personal, relative, and interrogative pronouns in everyday English usage. It will also briefly cover possessive, reflexive, and intensive pronouns.
Lesson 5: Using PrepositionsPrepositions primarily describe two different types of relationships: time and place. This lesson will explain when to use a preposition, and how best to use it in a wide variety of situations.
Lesson 6: ConjunctionsThis lesson will introduce and cover the four main types of conjunctions that are commonly used in everyday scenarios. Because conjunctions join phrases, words, and sentences together, they are some of the most commonly used, but one of the least understo
Lesson 7: All About Adjectives and AdverbsAdjectives and adverbs, which help to provide description to nouns and verbs, are also known as modifiers. Modifiers are words or a group of words that help to explain about other words.
Lesson 8: Sentence Structure Know-HowWhile no one will expect your grammar to be perfect, it is important to study the basics of sentence structure in order to make yourself understood. This lesson will help English students to understand the difference between passive and active voice as we
Lesson 9: Writing BasicsWriting clear and understandable documents and papers requires knowledge of writing basics that include proper punctuation, noun-verb agreement, and attention to moods as well as avoidance of run-on sentences.
Lesson 10: Punctuation, Numbers and TimeRules for grammar and punctuation have changed over the ages, but continue to help to define standards that enable English speakers around the world to make reading the written language easier.
Lesson 11: Write What You Mean and Mean What You WriteSpeaking and writing English properly takes time and effort that many students are unwilling to put into their studies. However, speaking clearly and being able to convey ideas, thoughts, and expressions are methods of communication that can't be ignored
Lesson 12: Introduction to ESL Basic WritingLearning to create and write basic English is a requirement for many job skills and careers. Nearly every job industry in the United States requires some English-speaking and writing skills.
Lesson 13: Beginning to WriteThis lesson will cover the basics of English grammar that will help to increase reading comprehension and writing ability.
Lesson 14: Increasing Reading ComprehensionReading comprehension enables a person who is learning a language or one who wishes to improve their language skills to be able to gain more from reading in a variety of subject matters.
Lesson 15: Increasing Your Vocabulary PowerIncreasing vocabulary power is an excellent way to increase not only reading comprehension but also to increase writing capabilities and understanding.
Lesson 16: Basic Sentence StructureWhile there are many different ways a sentence may be constructed, this lesson will focus on the basics in order to help students learning English or native English speakers to improve their writing capabilities.
Lesson 17: Mastering Subject-Verb AgreementThis lesson will help to show students of English as well as native English speakers the importance of mastering subject-verb agreement in order to enhance speaking as well as writing English.
Lesson 18: Bonding BasicsConjunctions link words, phrases, sentences made up of both dependent and independent clauses. There are several different kinds of conjunctions, all of which will be explained and explored in this lesson.
Lesson 19: Writing For ClaritySometimes, it takes more than an understanding of subjects, nouns, and verbs to create clear and consistent writing.This lesson will help to illustrate common problem areas when it comes to writing and putting thought processes down on paper.
Lesson 20: Writing EffectivelyStudents of English must learn how to put their thoughts on paper and to develop concepts and ideas while at the same time observing basic structure and grammar guidelines.
Lesson 21: Writing Personal and Business LettersUnderstanding the difference between a personal and business letter and how to create each of them is the focus of this lesson.
Lesson 22: Organizing Your ThoughtsNo matter what type of document you want to write, one of the most important writing necessities is to organize your thoughts. This lesson will explore various elements of style.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- Describe and recognize nouns.
- Describe and recognize verbs.
- Use pronouns properly.
- Use prepositions properly.
- Identify conjunctions.
- Demonstrate proper use of adjectives and adverbs.
- Demonstrate proper sentence structure use.
- Demonstrate correct use of punctuation, numbers and time.
- Describe methods for increasing reading comprehension.
- Summarize methods for increasing vocabulary power.
- Define basic sentence structure.
- Master subject-verb agreement
- Demonstrate writing for clarity.
- Demonstrate writing personal and business letters, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment: Getting Started||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 1 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 2 Assignment: Finding Nouns||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 2 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 3 Assignment: Finding Verbs||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 3 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 4 Assignment: Picking Pronouns||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 4 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 5 Assignment: Identifying Prepositions||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 5 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 6 Assignment: Choosing Conjunctions||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 6 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 7 Assignment: Finding Adjectives and Adverbs||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 7 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 8 Assignment: Tackling Sentence Structure||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 8 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 9 Assignment: Basic Writing||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 9 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 10 Assignment: Practicing Punctuation, Numbers and Time||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 10 Exam||Exam||10|
|Grammar Skills: Putting it all Together||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 11 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 12 Assignment: Understanding the Importance of Good Writing||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 12 Exam||Exam||15|
|Lesson 13 Assignment: Understanding Tense||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 13 Exam||Exam||14|
|Lesson 14 Assignment: Comprehension Practice||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 14 Exam||Exam||15|
|Lesson 15 Assignment: Increasing Vocabulary||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 15 Exam||Exam||15|
|Lesson 16 Assignment: Sentence Practice||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 16 Exam||Exam||15|
|Lesson 17 Assignment: Subject-Verb Practice||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 17 Exam||Exam||15|
|Lesson 18 Assignment: Bonding Practice||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 18 Exam||Exam||14|
|Lesson 19 Assignment: Clarity Practice||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 19 Exam||Exam||15|
|Lesson 20 Assignment: Writing Effectively||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 20 Exam||Exam||15|
|Lesson 21 Assignment: Letter Practice||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 21 Exam||Exam||15|
|Lesson 22 Assignment: Organization and Beyond||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 22 Exam||Exam||14|
- "-Excellent course-well organized, clear, concise, full of good information, opportunity to practice a lot of exercises and to continually evaluate yourself and to follow your own progress. -Covering a large spectrum of English language aspects and emphasizing the most difficult grammatical problems for a non-native English speaker. -The instructor was wonderful, prompt, available, helpful anytime, coming up with explanation of the errors,professional and very kind. Loved her!" -- Valentina R.
- "Thank you very much to the instructor. She was very helpful and always answered my questions. I learned a lot from this course. Thank you! I liked very much the video in each lesson. It was very helpful." -- Ivana F.
- "Thanks for editing my sentences, so I knew my weak parts." -- Hyunjin K.
- "I was new to taking online courses, so really everything was helpful. I think the most was the extra help that was included with each class that you could log into and practice. Thanks." -- Ronnie S.
- "All was very helpful. My instructor was very very good." -- Henry L.
- "I found all parts of this Course extremely helpful. Thought my Instructor was excellent." -- Ian H.
- "Everyone who feels shy to speak in English, don't be afraid. Universal Class makes your life easy. You will finish this course with full of confidence. The instructor is very prompt. She replies quickly...This course is wonderful." -- RASHMI M.
- View More Testimonials...