Dog Training All-In-One: Beginner to Advanced Techniques
- OR -
with CEU Certificate*
with CEU Certificate*
Start Right Now!
Taking multiple courses? Save with our platinum program.
have taken this courseLoading...
Course DescriptionThroughout this course, we'll dive into the world of dog training, first by starting off with a bit of dog training history and breed recognition, which will offer insight to breeds' intelligence. You'll not only learn basic dog training guides, but also learn the common advanced commands like stop, steady, back up, and give, and then determine whether or not you and Fido are ready for Off-Lead Training, which can be fun and tedious at the same time. We'll explore various methods of advanced training including Clicker Training and the theory of the Monks of New Skete.This course will train you above and beyond the basics of sit, come and stay, to show you dog training that includes understanding your dog in dog terms. By knowing the traits of your dog's breed and taking full advantage of the attributes of that breed, you will create a fulfilling and fun relationship with your furry friend.
Toward the end of the course you'll learn more about some of the advanced tricks like bow, roll over, through the hoop, the four-footed fax, and wiggle, giggle, freeze! Lastly, if you're still yearning for more information about your dog's breed, where to find competitions or more training information, we'll talk about the major dog clubs and organizations that exist today. Grab a bag of treats, your leash and your pooch, it's time to have some good ol' barkin' fun!
- The Importance of Dog Training
- History Of Dog Training
- Dog Intelligence
- Setting the Stage for Training
- Becoming a Master
- Sit, Shake and Play Dead
- Simple Solutions to Problematic Behaviors
- Advanced Commands In Detail
- Off-Lead Training
- Clicker Training
- Monks Of New Skete Training Theory
- Working Dog Training
- Dog Sports
- Fun Tricks And Games
- Training Programs & Approaches You Can Put Into Practice
- Organizations And Clubs
- Where to Turn: Additional Dog Training Resources
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Feedback
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: The Importance of Dog TrainingThis lesson discusses the benefits and rewards that come from training your dog.
Lesson 2: History Of Dog TrainingKnow your breed and its capabilities. Some breeds simply are more trainable than others.
Lesson 3: Dog IntelligenceThe capacity to learn basic obedience is inherent in all dogs. Dogs want to learn; you simply need to give them the tools and structure to do so.
Lesson 4: Setting the Stage for TrainingThis lesson teaches you how to gauge your dog's personality and the tools needed to start training him.
Lesson 5: Becoming a Master: Mastering the Basics of Dog TrainingIn this lesson, we will discuss leash training, chewing habits, and housetraining.
Lesson 6: Sit, Shake, and Play Dead: Tips for Successful Trick TrainingThis lesson will teach you how to train your dog to fetch, shake hands, and perform other basic tricks.
Lesson 7: Angry, Annoying, or Aggressive Dog? Simple Solutions to Problematic BehaviorsThis lesson discusses how to control some of your dog's bad habits, including barking and running away.
Lesson 8: Advanced Commands In DetailAdvanced training, or obedience training, usually refers to going above and beyond the basic training of commands like sit, down, stay, heel, and come, to high level competitions with the American Kennel Club and the Canadian Kennel Club.
Lesson 9: Off-lead TrainingThere are a few tools to use and they simple promote the act of graduating from one very short walking leash, to a long leash or line to ultimately off-lead fun.
Lesson 10: Clicker TrainingWhen it comes to training equipment, the clicker has taken the accessories market by storm and has become one of the most popular methods of positive reinforcement training in recent years.
Lesson 11: Monks of New Skete Training TheoryRenowned for breeding German shepherds, the Monks train according to a unique program based on understanding canine behavior and enhancing the bond between the dog and the owner.
Lesson 12: Working Dog TrainingMany dogs today are put to work, assisting both professionally and personally in the day-to-day life of others.
Lesson 13: Dog SportsWhether it is advanced training for play, competitive sports, or dog showing, the specialties mentioned in this lesson are some of the most common.
Lesson 14: Fun Tricks and GamesCool tricks to teach your dog to impress all your friends!
Lesson 15: Training Programs amd Approaches You Can Put into PracticeThis lesson discusses the difference between positive reinforcement and punishment.
Lesson 16: Organizations and ClubsThere are many clubs across the country and some that span the globe, all offering specific and useful information about your dog's breed.
Lesson 17: Where to Turn: Additional Dog Training ResourcesHere are some books and additional web sites that will help you with training your dog.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Dog Training All-In-One: Beginner to Advanced TechniquesCourse Number: 7550117Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: How ToCEU Value: 1.6 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsInstructor: Cathleen ChouinardSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $65.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $90.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Summarize the history of dog training.
- Compare and contrast different types of dog intelligence among different species.
- Summarize the proper environment for making dog training conducive.
- Summarize the methods used to train your dog to follow the basic commands.
- Describe methods for training your dog to sit, shake, and play dead.
- Describe methods for reducing annoying or problematic dog behaviors.
- Summarize advanced commands.
- Describe procedures and benefits of off-lead training.
- Describe procedures and benefits of clicker training.
- Describe the Monks of New Skete Training Theory.
- Summarize working dog training, dog sports, tricks, and games, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Assignment 1: Your Goals Assignment 5 Exam 1: The Importance of Dog Training Exam 9 Assignment 2: Beginning Commands Assignment 10 Exam 2: History of Dog Training Exam 12 Assignment 3: Dog Intelligence Assignment 20 Exam 3: Dog intelligence Exam 15 Assignment 4: The Ideal Dog Assignment 5 Exam 4: Setting the Stage for Training Exam 10 Assignment 5: Your Plan Assignment 5 Exam 5: Becoming a Master Exam 10 Assignment 6: Develop a Training Plan Assignment 5 Exam 6: Tips for Successful Trick Training Exam 10 Exam 7: Angry, Annoying or Agressive Dog Solutions Exam 10 Assignment 8: Advanced Commands Assignment 25 Exam 8: Advanced Commands In Detail Exam 14 Assignment 9: Off-Lead Training Assignment 25 Exam 9: Off-lead Training Exam 13 Assignment 10: Clicker Training Assignment 25 Exam 10: Clicker Training Exam 15 Assignment 11: New Skete Training Assignment 25 Exam 11: Monks Of New Skete Training Theory Exam 13 Assignment 12: Working Dog Training Assignment 25 Exam 12: Working Dog Training Exam 14 Assignment 13: Dog Sports Assignment 25 Exam 13: Dog Sports Exam 13 Assignment 14: Fun Tricks and Games Assignment 25 Exam 14: Fun Tricks And Games Exam 10 Assignment 15: Using Negative Reinforcement Assignment 5 Exam 15: Training Programs & Approaches Exam 8 Assignment 16: Organizations and Clubs Assignment 25 The Final Exam Exam 42 Total Points: 473
- 101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog
- How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend: The Classic Training Manual for Dog Owners (Revised & Updated Edition)
- The Art of Raising a Puppy (Revised Edition)
- The Dog Whisperer: Beginning and Intermediate Dog Training
- The Power of Positive Dog Training
Choose Your Subscription PlanCourse OnlyOne Course
No Certificate / No CEUs$65for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate X Includes CEUs X Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 courseCertificate CourseOne Course
Certificate & CEUs$90for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 coursePlatinum YearlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$189per yearYou save 50%!Billed once
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 12 Months No. of courses 500+Platinum MonthlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$59 first month$29.00 / month thereafterBilled monthly
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete Monthly No. of courses 500+
- "What was most helpful was the behavior issues, understanding command words, and becoming pack leader. I was a great help for me and my dog. Being a pet sitter, also helped with becoming a pack leader." -- Karen T.
- "It was a great class, my instructor very nice, very helpful, and Always there for me. I feel like I know her. She gave a lot of positive reinforcement and made me feel like she was working with me, and in my cornor. She answered all my questions, and I hope she is the instructor in my next class." -- Bonnie G.