- OR -
with CEU Certificate
with CEU Certificate
Start Right Now!
Taking multiple courses? Save with our platinum program.
1.3 CEUs :: 13 Contact Hours :: Self-Paced :: Instructor Support :: 6 Month Subscription
This course will provide the learner with a better understanding of the underlying concepts of geometry. Through readings, lessons, quizzes and independent explorations, the learner will leave the course with more complete understanding of geometry and begin to be able to think in a geometrical fashion. Websites are also provided to help the learner further explore the topics on his/her own. At the end of this unit, the learner will be able to describe some of the basic premises behind geometric thinking, reasoning and study. They will also be able to demonstrate the following learning objectives:
Objectives (based on the Van Hiele levels of geometric thought):
- Students will be able to demonstrate the ability identify the ways geometry is used by people in their daily lives (i.e. professions, synthetic universe, natural universe, in the home, etc...)
- Students will be able to recognize and name figures (triangle, square, rectangle, rhombus, parellelogram, polygon, pentagon, hexagon, octagon, kite, rectangular and triangular pyramids, prisms, cone, sphere) [Level 0 Visualization]
- Students will be able to analyze various properties of shapes (i.e. right angles, parallel sides, number of sides, number of corners, etc...) [Level 1 Analysis]
- Students will be able to construct relationships between classes of figures (i.e. rectangles are parallelograms with a right angle, etc…) [Level 2 Informal Deduction]
- Students will be able to think deductively in regards to geometrical concepts. [Level 3 and 4 Deduction/Rigorous Proof]
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1 - Geometry in Our WorldGeometry surrounds all of us, making it a safer and more productive place.
Lesson 2 - Learning All About ShapesAt the beginning of any study of geometry, one must be able to identify shapes. Many of the names of shapes are derived from how many sides, angles or how the sides relate to each other.
Lesson 3 - TessellationsA tessellation is defined as a pattern of shapes which are all closed and totally cover a surface.
Lesson 4 - SymmetrySymmetry refers to both parts of a shape or figure as having equal or matching points.
Lesson 5 - PentominoesTo create a pentomino one must connect five of the blocks on the grid together where they only touch on one side.
Lesson 6 - Three Dimensional ShapesShapes which have length, width and thickness are known as three-dimensional shapes.
Lesson 7 - PerimeterIn two-dimensional shapes, the perimeter is the distance around the shapes.
Lesson 8 - AreaThe area of an object is how much space it takes up
Lesson 9 - If-Then StatementsAn if-then statement is a statement where each part is contingent on the other.
Lesson 10 - Area of Three-Dimensional ObjectsThere are two different types of area which can be calculated for three-dimensional shapes, surface area and volume.
Lesson 11 - Translations, Reflections, RotationsThere are four types of isometries which are: translations, rotations, reflections and glide reflections.
Lesson 12 - Classifying Shapes by PropertiesThe process of drawing conclusions about shapes and theories is an important aspect of geometry.
Lesson 13 - Proofs and Abstract thinking in GeometryA proof is the process of drawing as many true conclusions about the information provided as possible to gain the narrowest viewpoint about what is presented.
Lesson 14 - Geometry in Our UniverseGeometric patterns can be found in the nonsynthetic universe and in the synthetic or man-made universe.
Lesson 15 - Geometry in ProfessionsThere are numerous professions which need to have a basic understanding of the principles of geometry in order for success within the profession.
Average Lesson Rating: (471 votes)
13 Contact Hours
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Course Title: ABCs of Geometry
Course Number: 7550571
Languages: English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries
Course Type: High School Level
CEU Value: 1.3 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)
CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).
Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earned
Assessment Method: Lesson assignments and review exams
Course URL: abcgeometry.onlineclasses.com
Instructor: Jeff Clark
Syllabus: View Syllabus
Duration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!
Requirements: View Technical Requirements
Course Fee: $50.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $75.00
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Recognize the role of Geometry in the real world.
- Recognize geometric shapes.
- Understand tessellations.
- Apply the concept of symmetry in geometry.
- Recognize pentominoes.
- Solve geometry problems of three dimensional shapes.
- Calculate the perimeter or any shape.
- Calculate the area of any shape.
- Calculate the area of three dimensional objects.
- Understand translations, reflections, and rotations in geometry.
- Classify shapes by properties.
- Create proofs in Geometry.
- Understand how Geometry is prevalent in our universe, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1: Geometry and Sports||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 1 - Geometry in Our World||Exam||10|
|Lesson 2: Drawing Shapes||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 2 - Learning All About Shapes||Exam||9|
|Lesson 3: Regular Tessellation||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 3 - Tessellations||Exam||9|
|Lesson 4: Lines of Symmetry||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 4 - Symmetry||Exam||9|
|Lesson 5: Pentomino Squeeze Game||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 5 - Pentominoes||Exam||10|
|Lesson 6: Rectangular Prism||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 6 - Three dimensional shapes||Exam||10|
|Lesson 7: Finding Perimeter||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 7 - Perimeter||Exam||10|
|Lesson 8: Finding the Area||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 8 - Area||Exam||10|
|Lesson 9: Define If-Then Statements||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 9 - If… Then Statements||Exam||10|
|Lesson 10: Finding Surface Area||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 10 - Area of Three Dimension Objects||Exam||10|
|Lesson 11: Geometry: Reflections||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 11 - Translations, Reflections, Rotations||Exam||5|
|Lesson 12: Cylinders||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 12 - Classifying Shapes by Properties||Exam||9|
|Lesson 13: Proofs in Geometry||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 13 - Proofs and Abstract thinking in Geometry||Exam||9|
|Lesson 14: Geometry in Universe||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 14 - Geometry in Our Universe||Exam||9|
|Lesson 15: Architect and Geometry||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 15 - Geometry in professions||Exam||9|
|The Final Exam||Exam||140|
- Medical Terminology 101$75.001.8 CEUs
- Algebra 101: Beginner to Intermediate Level$110.003.0 CEUs
- Pre-Algebra 101$75.001.4 CEUs
- Geometry 101: Beginner to Intermediate Level$110.001.4 CEUs
- GED Test Preparation$150.003.7 CEUs
- Statistics 101$120.003.5 CEUs
- Precalculus 101$110.003.5 CEUs
- Basic Math 101$75.002.1 CEUs
- ABCs of Algebra$75.003.0 CEUs
- Math All-In-One (Arithmetic, Algebra, and Geometry Review)$110.003.5 CEUs
- Applied Statistics 101$95.003.5 CEUs
- Business Math 101$75.001.2 CEUs