Online Class: ABCs of Geometry
- OR -
with CEU Certificate*
with CEU Certificate*
Start Right Now!
Taking multiple courses? Save with our platinum program.
have taken this course
Course DescriptionThis course will provide the learner with a better understanding of the underlying concepts of geometry. Through readings, lessons, quizzes and independent explorations, the learner will leave the course with more complete understanding of geometry and begin to be able to think in a geometrical fashion. Websites are also provided to help the learner further explore the topics on his/her own. At the end of this unit, the learner will be able to describe some of the basic premises behind geometric thinking, reasoning and study. They will also be able to demonstrate the following learning objectives:
Objectives (based on the Van Hiele levels of geometric thought):
- Students will be able to demonstrate the ability identify the ways geometry is used by people in their daily lives (i.e. professions, synthetic universe, natural universe, in the home, etc...)
- Students will be able to recognize and name figures (triangle, square, rectangle, rhombus, parellelogram, polygon, pentagon, hexagon, octagon, kite, rectangular and triangular pyramids, prisms, cone, sphere) [Level 0 Visualization]
- Students will be able to analyze various properties of shapes (i.e. right angles, parallel sides, number of sides, number of corners, etc...) [Level 1 Analysis]
- Students will be able to construct relationships between classes of figures (i.e. rectangles are parallelograms with a right angle, etc…) [Level 2 Informal Deduction]
- Students will be able to think deductively in regards to geometrical concepts. [Level 3 and 4 Deduction/Rigorous Proof]
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1 - Geometry in Our WorldGeometry surrounds all of us, making it a safer and more productive place.
Lesson 2 - Learning All About ShapesAt the beginning of any study of geometry, one must be able to identify shapes. Many of the names of shapes are derived from how many sides, angles or how the sides relate to each other.
Lesson 3 - TessellationsA tessellation is defined as a pattern of shapes which are all closed and totally cover a surface.
Lesson 4 - SymmetrySymmetry refers to both parts of a shape or figure as having equal or matching points.
Lesson 5 - PentominoesTo create a pentomino one must connect five of the blocks on the grid together where they only touch on one side.
Lesson 6 - Three Dimensional ShapesShapes which have length, width and thickness are known as three-dimensional shapes.
Lesson 7 - PerimeterIn two-dimensional shapes, the perimeter is the distance around the shapes.
Lesson 8 - AreaThe area of an object is how much space it takes up
Lesson 9 - If-Then StatementsAn if-then statement is a statement where each part is contingent on the other.
Lesson 10 - Area of Three-Dimensional ObjectsThere are two different types of area which can be calculated for three-dimensional shapes, surface area and volume.
Lesson 11 - Translations, Reflections, RotationsThere are four types of isometries which are: translations, rotations, reflections and glide reflections.
Lesson 12 - Classifying Shapes by PropertiesThe process of drawing conclusions about shapes and theories is an important aspect of geometry.
Lesson 13 - Proofs and Abstract thinking in GeometryA proof is the process of drawing as many true conclusions about the information provided as possible to gain the narrowest viewpoint about what is presented.
Lesson 14 - Geometry in Our UniverseGeometric patterns can be found in the nonsynthetic universe and in the synthetic or man-made universe.
Lesson 15 - Geometry in ProfessionsThere are numerous professions which need to have a basic understanding of the principles of geometry in order for success within the profession.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: ABCs of GeometryCourse Number: 7550571Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: High School LevelCEU Value: 1.3 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: abcgeometry.onlineclasses.comInstructor: Jeff ClarkSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $50.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $75.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Recognize the role of Geometry in the real world.
- Recognize geometric shapes.
- Understand tessellations.
- Apply the concept of symmetry in geometry.
- Recognize pentominoes.
- Solve geometry problems of three dimensional shapes.
- Calculate the perimeter or any shape.
- Calculate the area of any shape.
- Calculate the area of three dimensional objects.
- Understand translations, reflections, and rotations in geometry.
- Classify shapes by properties.
- Create proofs in Geometry.
- Understand how Geometry is prevalent in our universe, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1: Geometry and Sports Assignment 15 Lesson 1 - Geometry in Our World Exam 10 Lesson 2: Drawing Shapes Assignment 30 Lesson 2 - Learning All About Shapes Exam 9 Lesson 3: Regular Tessellation Assignment 30 Lesson 3 - Tessellations Exam 9 Lesson 4: Lines of Symmetry Assignment 25 Lesson 4 - Symmetry Exam 9 Lesson 5: Pentomino Squeeze Game Assignment 25 Lesson 5 - Pentominoes Exam 10 Lesson 6: Rectangular Prism Assignment 25 Lesson 6 - Three dimensional shapes Exam 10 Lesson 7: Finding Perimeter Assignment 25 Lesson 7 - Perimeter Exam 10 Lesson 8: Finding the Area Assignment 30 Lesson 8 - Area Exam 10 Lesson 9: Define If-Then Statements Assignment 15 Lesson 9 - If… Then Statements Exam 10 Lesson 10: Finding Surface Area Assignment 25 Lesson 10 - Area of Three Dimension Objects Exam 10 Lesson 11: Geometry: Reflections Assignment 25 Lesson 11 - Translations, Reflections, Rotations Exam 5 Lesson 12: Cylinders Assignment 25 Lesson 12 - Classifying Shapes by Properties Exam 9 Lesson 13: Proofs in Geometry Assignment 25 Lesson 13 - Proofs and Abstract thinking in Geometry Exam 9 Lesson 14: Geometry in Universe Assignment 30 Lesson 14 - Geometry in Our Universe Exam 9 Lesson 15: Architect and Geometry Assignment 25 Lesson 15 - Geometry in professions Exam 9 The Final Exam Exam 140 Total Points: 653
- "I thought the most helpful was the part that explained about the faces, edges, and different shapes." -- Amanda F.
- "All of it the course was great. The instructor is great." -- Barry S.
- "I found the whole program to be helpful. It gave me a better understanding of geometry and the world of geometry." -- Alexis B.
- "All of it was very helpful, it was very well explained." -- Betty G.
- "As an introductory course I think the course was above excellent and a very high quality teacher. I liked the methodology used to teach geometry because it clarified a lot of areas for me. The course was structured so that I could learn the concepts and not worry too much about performance. I have to admit that this is the first math/science class that I have thoroughly enjoyed." -- Francisco M.
- "I flunked 7th and 8th grade math. learned what I should have learned in this course. Thanks, just thanks." -- Irene T.
- "Good job." -- Isaiah H.
- View More Testimonials...