Photography 101: Beginner to Intermediate
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this course
Course DescriptionHave you ever seen those old black and white (or brown and white) pictures of pioneers? No one smiled, the women always wore gloves, and the children's faces were smudgy. In those days, the cameras required a longer period of time to capture the image than today. That explains why the children were always blurry, and possibly why no one smiled! If your pictures are turning out that way, or if you simply want to take better pictures, this course will help! After all, it doesn't matter what kind of camera you own, you don't own it for the sake of owning a camera--you own a camera so you can get nice pictures.This course will help you discover how to use the camera you have--no matter how fancy or simple it is--so that you can take great pictures.
Here's what you will learn:
- You will discover the differences in modern cameras, and find a recommendation for which one you should buy, if you are in the market for one.
- You will learn what the pro's do, and how you can do the same thing for less.
- You will find step-by-step instructions on how to make great photos that are worthy of submission to any local photography contest.
- You will read about real life photography experiences from amateur photographers "just like you" who have something interesting to share.
- You will discover more than just how to press your camera's button
- You will follow several examples through the course to show you the range of photography options available to you.
- You will read about camera lenses, exposure, and lighting in a way that actually helps you understand rather than confuses you more with technical jargon.
- You will actually see photographs that compare different types of techniques to help you learn how different settings produce different results.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1 - Camera BasicsIn this first lesson, we will go over how all cameras work, and the parts of the camera that you need to know about.
Lesson 2 - Operating a CameraThis lesson will show that more than just pointing and clicking is required to take great pictures.
Lesson 3 - Types of FilmThis lesson will not only examine the different film types, and the type you should use, but it also will explain the differences between digital cameras and film cameras -- and reveal which one is actually better!
Lesson 4 - Aperture and Shutter SpeedsIn this lesson, we will take a more in-depth look at aperture and shutter speed, and their relationship to film exposure.
Lesson 5 - TTL Light MeterIn this lesson, we will take exposure one step further by looking more intently at metering.
Lesson 6 - Depth of FieldIn this lesson, we will explore depth of field. Every exposure setting has its own unique side effect, which can be used by the photographer to achieve specific creative goals.
Lesson 7 - Choosing LensesTypes of lenses and their impact on pictures, whether film or digital, are explained.
Lesson 8 - Lenses ContinuedIn this lesson, we will examine further the different types of lenses common to most professional cameras, and the lengths and angles that affect your image the most.
Lesson 9 - LightingThe importance of lighting for great picture-taking is discussed.
Lesson 10 - Lighting ContinuedIn this lesson, we will learn more about the different uses of daylight for your photography, the use of timing with daylight, and the various elements of natural light photography.
Lesson 11 - Flash PhotographyIn this lesson, we will learn the types of flashes, various flash facts, and details concerning the effective use of your camera's flash.
Lesson 12 - FiltersIn this lesson, we will cover the various filters used in photography, including lens filters, color filters, skylight and UV filters, polarizing filters, and special effects filters.
Lesson 13 - Steady ShootingIn this lesson, we will cover key features to steady shooting, namely how to hold the camera; shutter speeds and lenses; and how to use a tripod and cable releases.
Lesson 14 - Digital vs. FilmThis lesson will focus on digital and film images, and the differences between them.
Lesson 15 - Enhancing PhotographsThis lesson will reveal when, and how, to enhance your picture in some easy ways.
Lesson 16 - Organizing the PictureHow to arrange your picture so that the image in your mind will turn out to be the photograph that comes out of your camera.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Photography 101: Beginner to IntermediateCourse Number: 7550459Languages: English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: How ToCEU Value: 1.7 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: photography101.onlineclasses.comInstructor: Eric ThomasSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $45.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $70.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Understand basic camera operations.
- Summarize operating a camera.
- Summarize types of film.
- Demonstrate aperture and shutter speeds.
- Identify TTL light meter.
- Demonstrate depth of field.
- Determine how to choose appropriate lenses.
- Demonstrate lighting techniques.
- Demonstrate flash photography.
- Determine filter use with your camera.
- Summarize steady shooting techniques.
- Describe film and its use in the today's world.
- Determine enhancing photograph techniques.
- Demonstrate organizing picture techniques, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1 Assignment: Introductory Questions Assignment 5 Lesson 1 Quiz Exam 25 Lesson 2 Assignment: Practice Taking a Picture that tells a story Assignment 25 Lesson 2 Quiz Exam 20 Lesson 3 Assignment: Testing Types of Film Assignment 25 Lesson 3 Quiz Exam 15 Lesson 4 Assignment- Practice Taking a Better Picture Assignment 20 Lesson 4 Quiz Exam 6 Lesson 5 Assignment: Practice Using a Light Meter and/or Gray Card Assignment 20 Lesson 5 Quiz Exam 6 Lesson 6 Assignment: Depth of Field Pictures Assignment 20 Lesson 6 Quiz Exam 7 Lesson 7 Assignment: Testing Different Lens Shots Assignment 25 Lesson 8 Assignment: Practice Using Different Lenses Assignment 20 Lesson 8 Quiz Exam 9 Lesson 9 Assignment: Testing Lighting Assignment 25 Lesson 9 Quiz Exam 30 Lesson 10 Assignment: Practice These Lighting Conditions Assignment 20 Lesson 10 Quiz Exam 8 Lesson 11 Assignment: Practice Using Your Flash Assignment 20 Lesson 11 Quiz Exam 9 Lesson 12 Assignment: Practice Taking Pictures with Filters Assignment 20 Lesson 12 Quiz Exam 8 Lesson 13 Assignment: Practice Steady Shooting Assignment 5 Lesson 13 Quiz Exam 7 Lesson 14 Assignment: Which is Better? Assignment 20 Lesson 14 Quiz Exam 9 Lesson 15 Assignment: Enhance Your Own Photo's Now Assignment 25 Lesson 15 Quiz Exam 15 Final Assignment: Show Us a Good Picture Now! Assignment 25 Lesson 16 Quiz Exam 8 Total Points: 502
- "The assignments were the most helpful, as I had to go out and practice what I learn in the lesson. " -- Charles W.
- "Instructor was very good and helpful. I found every lesson very interesting, and very helpful. I feel I could go over it again and learn more which I intend to do. Enjoyed it very much." -- Dorothy M.
- "Enjoyed this course. The last few chapters were the best." -- Nancy V.