with CEU Certificate*
The worldwide resurgence of interest in Buddhist philosophy demonstrates that its ideals of logic, individualism, tolerance and freedom have appeal in the 21st century. Of the four major religions, Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, and Islam, Buddhism alone makes no attempt to convert others or to persecute those whose beliefs are different. Its message of nonviolence and personal responsibility may be needed more now than ever.
This course examines the known historical facts of the Buddha's life. His teachings are introduced, including the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path to Enlightenment, and the Five Noble Precepts. Participants will learn the nature of Karma, and the distinction between Rebirth in Buddhist philosophy and reincarnation as it is envisioned in Hinduism and other religions. Participants will analyze the history of Buddhist philosophy in the 2500 years since its inception and the differences among the three main branches into which Buddhism has evolved. Participants will have the opportunity to consider the nature of Nirvana and Enlightenment, and the distinction between the two. This course will also provide an overview of Buddhism as it becomes increasingly influential in the modern world, including the areas of art, architecture, science, politics, and culture.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: Who Was the Buddha?This lesson will examine some of the facts and legends about the life of the Buddha.
Lesson 2: The Four Noble Truths of BuddhismThis lesson will examine the basis of Buddha's teaching of the Four Noble Truths, the core philosophy and practice of Buddhism.
Lesson 3: The Eightfold PathThis lesson will present the structure and sequence of the Eightfold Path to Enlightenment.
Lesson 4: The Five PreceptsThis lesson will teach the five moral precepts of Buddhist practice.
Lesson 5: KarmaThis lesson will explore the topic of Karma.
Lesson 6: The Cycle of BirthThis lesson will explore the Buddhist view of the cycle of rebirth.
Lesson 7: The History of BuddhismThis lesson offers an overview of the history of Buddhism around the world.
Lesson 8: Buddhist Art and ArchitectureThis lesson will provide an overview of Buddhist art and architecture.
Lesson 9: Roots and BranchesThis lesson discusses the philosophical differences between some of the branches of Buddhism
Lesson 10: NirvanaThis lesson will analyze the concept of Nirvana.
Lesson 11: Modern BuddhismThis lesson will examine the impact of Buddhism on modern life.
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Summarize who Buddha is.
- Describe The Four Noble Truths of Buddhism, the Eightfold Path, and the Five Precepts.
- Define and recognize karma.
- Describe the cycle of birth.
- Summarize the history of Buddhism.
- Describe Buddhist art and architecture.
- Describe roots and branches of Buddhism.
- Define nirvana, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 1: Who Was the Buddha?||Exam||10|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 2: The Four Noble Truths of Buddhism||Exam||14|
|Lesson 3: The Eightfold Path||Exam||10|
|Lesson 4: The Five Precepts||Exam||15|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 5: Karma||Exam||10|
|Lesson 6: The Cycle of Birth||Exam||15|
|Lesson 7: The History of Buddhism||Exam||13|
|Lesson 8: Buddhist Art and Architecture||Exam||12|
|Lesson 9: Roots and Branches||Exam||14|
|Lesson 10: Nirvana||Exam||11|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 11: Modern Buddhism||Exam||14|
|The Final Exam||Exam||41|
- Greek Mythology$75.000.7 CEUs
- Bible Stories$75.001.0 CEUs
- American History Review$95.001.3 CEUs
- Reiki 1st and 2nd Degree$150.002.2 CEUs
- Philosophy 101$85.001.0 CEUs
- Twenty Women Who Changed American History$75.001.0 CEUs
- American Heroes and Villains$75.001.0 CEUs
- Spiritual Counseling$95.001.3 CEUs
- Judaism 101: An Introduction$75.001.0 CEUs
- Angels 101: History, Religion, Spiritualism and You$75.001.0 CEUs
- Yoga 101$60.001.1 CEUs
- World Religions 101$75.000.9 CEUs
- American Government$95.001.6 CEUs
- American Literature Review$115.000.7 CEUs
- American Wars: American Revolution and Civil War$115.001.4 CEUs
- Angel Healing$95.001.1 CEUs