Online Class: Buddhism 101
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this courseLoading...
Course Description"The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion...arising from the experience of all things natural and spiritual as a meaningful unity. If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs, it would be Buddhism." Albert Einstein
The worldwide resurgence of interest in Buddhist philosophy demonstrates that its ideals of logic, individualism, tolerance and freedom have appeal in the 21st century. Of the four major religions, Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, and Islam, Buddhism alone makes no attempt to convert others or to persecute those whose beliefs are different. Its message of nonviolence and personal responsibility may be needed more now than ever.
This course examines the known historical facts of the Buddha's life. His teachings are introduced, including the Four Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path to Enlightenment, and the Five Noble Precepts. Participants will learn the nature of Karma, and the distinction between Rebirth in Buddhist philosophy and reincarnation as it is envisioned in Hinduism and other religions. Participants will analyze the history of Buddhist philosophy in the 2500 years since its inception and the differences among the three main branches into which Buddhism has evolved. Participants will have the opportunity to consider the nature of Nirvana and Enlightenment, and the distinction between the two. This course will also provide an overview of Buddhism as it becomes increasingly influential in the modern world, including the areas of art, architecture, science, politics, and culture.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: Who Was the Buddha?This lesson will examine some of the facts and legends about the life of the Buddha.
Lesson 2: The Four Noble Truths of BuddhismThis lesson will examine the basis of Buddha's teaching of the Four Noble Truths, the core philosophy and practice of Buddhism.
Lesson 3: The Eightfold PathThis lesson will present the structure and sequence of the Eightfold Path to Enlightenment.
Lesson 4: The Five PreceptsThis lesson will teach the five moral precepts of Buddhist practice.
Lesson 5: KarmaThis lesson will explore the topic of Karma.
Lesson 6: The Cycle of BirthThis lesson will explore the Buddhist view of the cycle of rebirth.
Lesson 7: The History of BuddhismThis lesson offers an overview of the history of Buddhism around the world.
Lesson 8: Buddhist Art and ArchitectureThis lesson will provide an overview of Buddhist art and architecture.
Lesson 9: Roots and BranchesThis lesson discusses the philosophical differences between some of the branches of Buddhism
Lesson 10: NirvanaThis lesson will analyze the concept of Nirvana.
Lesson 11: Modern BuddhismThis lesson will examine the impact of Buddhism on modern life.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Buddhism 101Course Number: 8900294Languages: English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: General EducationCEU Value: 0.8 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: buddhism101.onlineclasses.comInstructor: C. Michael McKennaSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $50.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $75.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Summarize who Buddha is.
- Describe The Four Noble Truths of Buddhism, the Eightfold Path, and the Five Precepts.
- Define and recognize karma.
- Describe the cycle of birth.
- Summarize the history of Buddhism.
- Describe Buddhist art and architecture.
- Describe roots and branches of Buddhism.
- Define nirvana, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
An Introduction Assignment 5 Lesson 1 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 1: Who Was the Buddha? Exam 10 Lesson 2 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 2: The Four Noble Truths of Buddhism Exam 14 Lesson 3: The Eightfold Path Exam 10 Lesson 4: The Five Precepts Exam 15 Lesson 5 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 5: Karma Exam 10 Lesson 6: The Cycle of Birth Exam 15 Lesson 7: The History of Buddhism Exam 13 Lesson 8: Buddhist Art and Architecture Exam 12 Lesson 9: Roots and Branches Exam 14 Lesson 10: Nirvana Exam 11 Lesson 11 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 11: Modern Buddhism Exam 14 The Final Exam Exam 41 Total Points: 284
- "All the readings were appropriate as were the assignments. Thanks so much for the timeliness of your feedback." -- Kathleen S.
- "Very nicely done. Much of the information I read came together more clearly for me through the required essays. Thank you! I was looking for an overall understanding of Buddhism. This class did provide that, and more. The most helpful areas were the actual teachings of the Buddha." -- BARBARA P.
- "The instructor was very in-depth when grading assignments. She added the information that would have made my assignment more well rounded and it taught me to read and review before completing. Thank you." -- Pam N.