with CEU Certificate*
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) affects millions of children and adults all over the world. Although it is considered a mental health issue by some medical practitioners, ADHD is actually a complex neurobiological disorder, thus, it cannot be treated by therapy alone. There are many excellent new drugs which are effective and non-addicting which are proven to help those who suffer with this disorder. Additionally, there are homeopathic options available today that were not available in the past. ADHD is not caused by bad parenting, psychological trauma or drug addiction. Although, ADHD is not purely a mental health disorder, psychological counseling (combined with medication) can assist by teaching behavior modification techniques. Having ADHD is not anything to be ashamed of, in fact, many creative, intelligent, successful, productive people have been diagnosed with this disorder. This course will cover many aspects of ADHD and will help clear up myth from fact.
There are ten comprehensive lessons written in an easy to follow, informative manner. The end of each lesson will provide you with multiple summary review questions and exercises so that you may effectively test your new found knowledge. Use these self-test questions and exercises to determine whether you are ready to move on or if you should review portions of the preceding lesson before taking the next step. Do not rush yourself. Take the time to read all portions of the lessons and complete the exercises and self-tests. This course is appropriate for those who want to learn more about attention deficit disorder and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1. Definition of ADHD, Attention deficit hyperactivity disorderAttention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a diagnosis that is made for children and adults who display certain behaviors over an extended period of time.
Lesson 2. Characteristics of Students with ADHDAttention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) involves the basic processes related to orienting, focusing, and maintaining attention, and these result in inadequate attention to tasks, both academic and social.
Lesson 3. Prevalence and Sub-Types of ADHDIn the United States, ADHD affects from 3-7 percent of the population. Although, some estimates place the rate higher, between 5-9 percent for children and 4 percent for adults.
Lesson 4. What Causes and What Does not Cause ADHDThe specific cause of ADHD is unknown at this time. In this lesson we will explore some of the probable causes of ADHD and discuss some things that have been proven to not cause ADHD.
Lesson 5. Assessment and Diagnosis of Students with ADHDExperts differ in opinion as to whether ADHD is over or under diagnosed, depending on a variety of factors.
Lesson 6. Medication Interventions and Treatment for Students with ADHDPsychostimulants are the primary drugs used to treat ADHD; they are effective for both children and adults with moderate to severe ADHD.
Lesson 7. Behavioral Interventions and Treatments for Students with ADHDWhile medications are very helpful in controlling the symptoms of ADHD, behavioral therapy and interventions can also help tremendously.
Lesson 8. Educational Placement Options for Students with ADHDBecause many children with ADHD experience significant academic difficulties, it is very important for parents to be aware of the special educational services that public schools are required to provide.
Lesson 9. Family, School, and Societal Issues of Students with ADHDSomeone's ADHD not only effects the person who has the disorder, but also effects the student's family, friends, and, in the bigger picture, society as a whole.
Lesson 10. Course ConclusionADHD is a lifelong brain chemistry imbalance disorder the exact cause of which is not currently known.
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Identify the characteristics of students with AD/HD.
- Identify the prevalence and types of AD/HD.
- Describe the causes of AD/HD.
- Describe assessment and diagnosis processes for students with AD/HD.
- Identify educational placements options for students with AD/HD.
- Describe behavioral interventions for students with AD/HD.
- Describe medication interventions for students with AD/HD.
- Identify family issues of students with AD/HD, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 1 : Definition ADHD||Exam||10|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 2 : Characteristics of Students with ADHD||Exam||10|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 3 : Prevalence and Sub-Types of ADHD||Exam||10|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 4 : What Causes and What Does not Cause ADHD||Exam||10|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 5 : Assessment and Diagnosis of Students with ADHD||Exam||10|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 6 : Medication Interventions and Treatment for Students with ADHD||Exam||9|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 7 : Behavioral Interventions and Treatments for Students with ADHD||Exam||10|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 8 : Educational Placement Options for Students with ADHD||Exam||10|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 9 : Family, School and Societal Issues of Students with ADHD||Exam||9|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|A Final Exam||Exam||44|
- Early Childhood Development 101$90.000.8 CEUs
- Behavior Management 101$90.001.0 CEUs
- Problem Solving Strategies$60.000.6 CEUs
- Building Self-Esteem in Children$60.000.7 CEUs
- Autism 101$95.001.0 CEUs
- Reading Comprehension 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Learning Disabilities: What You Need to Know$80.001.0 CEUs
- Personality Development$60.001.4 CEUs
- How To Be a Substitute Teacher$80.000.5 CEUs
- First Grade Curriculum$65.000.5 CEUs
- Second Grade Curriculum$65.001.0 CEUs
- Childhood Obesity$54.000.5 CEUs
- Basic Parenting 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Emotional and Behavioral Disorders$80.000.9 CEUs
- Autism Spectrum Disorders for Teachers$80.000.9 CEUs
- How to Teach Reading Fundamentals$60.001.1 CEUs
- Applied Behavior Analysis Strategies for Teachers$85.001.0 CEUs
- Child Psychology 101$75.001.0 CEUs
- Special Education 101: Foundations, Purpose, & Challenges$70.003.0 CEUs
- Special Ed: Effective and Significant Approaches$55.000.9 CEUs