with CEU Certificate
Do you long to write but feel like you're too busy? Writing for children can be the answer. Children's stories are generally far shorter and simpler than stories for adults. You can draft an 800 word children's story during a couple of lunch hours or during your child's nap times. Many noted children's authors started writing in short bursts when their own young children were sleeping or playing nearby.
Writing stories for children can be a fascinating hobby or a challenging career. You can write for your own kids, or publish stories and books that will reach thousands of eager readers. Either way, you will gain the satisfaction of knowing that you are making a difference in the lives of children who hear or read your words.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: Let's Go!One of the biggest obstacles writers face is finding the time to write. This lesson provides some strategies for finding the time to work on your writing projects.
Lesson 2: Just Do ItThe way to become a writer is to simply sit down and begin to write. This lesson will provide some strategies for doing this.
Lesson 3: Creating Characters Kids Will LoveThis lesson will show us how to create characters that our readers can relate to and thus become interested in.
Lesson 4: And Then What Happened? Plot and the Children's StoryIn this lesson, tools for creating an engaging plot are described.
Lesson 5: Setting and the Art of DescriptionIn this lesson, you will learn the importance of creating vivid descriptions and how these descriptions will help to engage and captivate your reader.
Lesson 6: He Said, She said. Dialog in the Children's StoryDialog is an essential part of any story. This lesson provides dialog-writing tips.
Lesson 7: ModelingThis lesson describes how modeling can help aspiring writers to practice and perfect their craft.
Lesson 8: The First DraftIn this lesson we will discuss strategies that will help you hang in there and get your first draft written.
Lesson 9: Writing is RewritingIn this lesson, we will discuss some techniques that will help you revise and improve your own work.
Lesson 10: Don't Despair, Share!In this lesson, we will learn how seeking other people's viewpoints can prove to be valuable to your finished story.
Lesson 11: Target Practice: Studying the marketsIn this lesson, you will learn how getting to know the markets you are aiming for can increase your chances for publishing success.
Lesson 12: Don't Give UpIn this lesson, you will learn how patience and perseverance are two important keys to becoming a successful, published writer
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe creating characters kids will love.
- Define plot in the children's story.
- Describe setting and the art of description.
- Describe dialog in the children's story.
- Define modeling.
- Create a first draw.
- Describe the revision process and what to look for.
- Describe ways to handle rejection and learn from criticism, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment: Creating Your Writing Schedule||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 1 Exam: Let's Go!||Exam||110|
|Lesson 2 Assignment: A Writing Exercise||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 2 Exam: Just Do It||Exam||125|
|Lesson 3 Assignment: Create Your Own Characters||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 3 Exam: Creating Characters Kids Will Love||Exam||115|
|Lesson 4 Assignment: Creating Conflict||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 4 Exam: And Then What Happened? Plot and the Children's Story||Exam||125|
|Lesson 5 Assignment: Creating Descriptions||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 5 Exam: Setting and the Art of Description||Exam||115|
|Lesson 6 Assignment: Writing Dialog||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 6 Exam: He Said, She said. Dialog in the Children's Story||Exam||120|
|Lesson 7 Assignment: Modeling Applications||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 7 Exam: Modeling||Exam||120|
|Lesson 8 Assignment: Taking the First Step||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 8 Exam: The First Draft||Exam||125|
|Lesson 9 Assignment: Revising Your Work||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 9 Exam: Writing is Rewriting||Exam||115|
|Lesson 10 Assignment: Find a Support Group||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 10 Exam: Don't Despair, Share!||Exam||125|
|Lesson 11 Assignment: Finding the Right Market||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 11 Exam: Target Practice: Studying the Markets||Exam||115|
|Lesson 12 Assignment: Submission Log||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 12 Exam: Don’t Give Up||Exam||125|
|The Final Exam||Exam||290|
- Medical Terminology 101$75.001.8 CEUs
- Creative Writing for Beginners$65.001.0 CEUs
- Writing Women's Fiction 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- ABCs of English Grammar$65.001.5 CEUs
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures$90.002.9 CEUs
- Historical Fiction Writing 101$65.002.3 CEUs
- Paranormal Romance Writing 101$60.001.0 CEUs
- Reading Comprehension 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Writing Effective Persuasion 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Writing Improvement 101$90.001.3 CEUs
- Poetry Writing 101$60.001.7 CEUs
- Essay Writing 101$65.001.1 CEUs
- Creative Writing Workshop$65.001.3 CEUs
- Journaling and Memoir Writing 101$65.001.1 CEUs
- ABCs of Technical Writing$65.001.1 CEUs
- Creative Writing 101$65.001.9 CEUs
- How to Write Short Stories for Children 101$60.001.1 CEUs
- How to Write a Short Story 101$60.001.1 CEUs
- Freelance Writing 101$65.001.2 CEUs
- Screenwriting 101$65.001.5 CEUs
- Mystery Writing 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Romance Writing 101$70.001.2 CEUs
- Travel Writing 101$70.001.0 CEUs
- Humor Writing 101$60.001.1 CEUs
- Writing the Great American Short Story$65.000.5 CEUs
- Punctuation and Grammar 101$70.001.2 CEUs
- English Composition 101$65.001.1 CEUs
- Building Children's Reading Skills$65.001.1 CEUs
- How to Teach Reading Fundamentals$60.001.1 CEUs