with CEU Certificate*
There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the
whole government working for you. (Will Rogers)
Laughing- the salve of the soul. When we feel at our lowest sometimes the only thing that can turn our mood around and lift us up is a good hearty laugh. The comedy capers of some people can at times save our sanity. We envy those who can readily laugh and even more so those people that can make others laugh.
This course will help you join this group, by covering things such as the advantages of keeping your humor in flow, how to guarantee laughs, the power of shock value, the importance of preparation and humor as a group effort -- and that's all just for starters!
Writing- when we think back to the things that have moved us deeply, that have stirred us emotionally, many of those have been pieces of writing. It takes skill to create a piece of writing, one word after another, one sentence after another and put it together in such a way that people really want to read it.
During this course you'll not only be given advice on how to write, but what not to write, how to market your material in a way that gives you the best possible chance of establishing a continuing comedy writing career and some tips you can utilize to assist you in writing good humor.
This course is not like many others, in that it is not exercise after exercise and so-called hot tips guaranteeing to give you instant writing success, there is no such thing. What it will do for you is give you the best possible advice on how to build a solid foundation for your humor writing future, i.e. a career in writing that lasts!
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: Let It Flow!You may already have written a funny skit or story or you may have one in mind. Just start writing!
Lesson 2: Yes - You Can Learn to Write HumorEverybody tells jokes and,let's face it, wisecracks are common; you can find humor and funny lines just about everywhere and everyplace you go.
Lesson 3: Exactly What is Humor?Humor, or a joke, is anything that makes people laugh.
Lesson 4: The Skills You'll NeedA sense of humor involves the capacity to appreciate incongruity, absurdity, an unexpected future, a pleasant surprise, being startled, or possibly even the recall of an issue of emotional chaos.
Lesson 5: Getting Ready to WriteMost, if not all, writers who have risen to any prominence are all people who have been avid readers.
Lesson 6: A 'Hobby' or a 'Career'?Whether we pursue something as a hobby or as a full or part-time career can be determined either by personal choice or necessity.
Lesson 7: Getting in the FlowKeep a list. You never know when a creative thought may arise and any points or thoughts at all should be added to your list immediately (not later, as you'll most likely forget at least part of it.)
Lesson 8: Discovering and Establishing Your Particular Market NicheDiscovering and establishing your particular market niche and writing to that audience = e.g. topical, political, slapstick, etc.
Lesson 9: The "Go's" and "Whoa's" of Shortcuts to HumorThis course will be of great assistance in preparing you for the task of not only writing humor but in deciding which particular niche within that genre you will concentrate your efforts on.
Lesson 10: The Importance of Starting and Maintaining Your Comedy JournalIf you aim to be successful at the writing of humor (whether as a hobby or on a part-time or full time basis) you will need to pay close attention to the level of your preparation.
Lesson 11: Marketing You and Your MaterialWhen you have written and rewritten, rehearsed and re-rehearsed your material and had the experience of several performance reviews, that is when you commence to market you and your material.
Lesson 12: Your Exercise Revisited and RenewedIt is now time for you to revisit the sketch you were asked to write in Lesson 1 of this course.
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Recognize that you can learn to write humor.
- Define what humor is.
- Describe the skills you'll need.
- Prepare for writing humor.
- Determine whether or not write for fun or profit.
- Demonstrate basic humor writing techniques.
- Discover and establish your particular humor niche.
- Maintain a comic journal.
- Describe ways to market your material, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 1 Quiz||Exam||10|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 2 Quiz||Exam||10|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 3 Quiz||Exam||10|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 4 Quiz||Exam||10|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 5 Quiz||Exam||10|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 6 Quiz||Exam||10|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 7 Quiz||Exam||10|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 8 Quiz||Exam||9|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 9 Quiz||Exam||10|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 10 Quiz||Exam||10|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 11 Quiz||Exam||10|
|Lesson 12 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|The Final Assignment||Assignment||25|
- ESL Grammar Skills Level 1$95.001.0 CEUs
- Creative Writing for Beginners$90.001.4 CEUs
- Writing Women's Fiction$90.001.0 CEUs
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures$90.002.9 CEUs
- ESL Basic Grammar and Writing$90.002.0 CEUs
- Historical Fiction Writing$90.002.3 CEUs
- Paranormal Romance Writing$90.001.0 CEUs
- Reading Comprehension 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Writing Effective Persuasion$60.001.2 CEUs
- Basic English Speaking Skills$65.001.0 CEUs
- Novel Writing 101$90.002.2 CEUs
- Writing Improvement 101$90.001.3 CEUs
- Poetry Writing 101$90.001.7 CEUs
- Essay Writing 101$80.001.1 CEUs
- Creative Writing Workshop$90.001.3 CEUs
- Basic Research Skills$55.000.8 CEUs
- Journaling and Memoir Writing$90.001.1 CEUs
- How to Write Short Stories for Children$90.001.1 CEUs
- Creative Writing 101$90.001.9 CEUs
- How to Write a Short Story$90.001.1 CEUs
- Freelance Writing 101$90.001.2 CEUs
- Screenwriting 101$90.001.5 CEUs
- Mystery Writing$90.001.2 CEUs
- Romance Writing$90.001.2 CEUs
- Nonfiction Writing 101$90.001.2 CEUs
- Travel Writing 101$90.001.0 CEUs
- Humor Writing 101$90.001.1 CEUs
- Writing the Great American Short Story$90.000.5 CEUs
- Spelling 101$55.001.1 CEUs
- Punctuation and Grammar 101$70.001.2 CEUs