with CEU Certificate*
Why do you want to learn to make great cakes?
- An upcoming wedding (you've seen what a purchased wedding cake can cost)
- Did you agree to be a "classroom mother" and want to make special cakes for the holidays or specific units?
- Is there a baker in the family you're dying to out-do?
- Are you looking for the appeal offered by more traditional domestic skills?
- Are you hoping to enter a local or regional baking competition?
- Are you thinking of baking to earn some extra dough?
- Is your organization looking for new fundraising opportunities like an upper scale cake walk, perhaps?
These are only a few of the reasons that may have attracted you to this course. However, whatever your motives may be, here are the skills you can look forward to gaining in the following lessons:
- Equipment, utensils, tools and preparations
- The basics of cake-baking: decorating techniques, planning and designing your cake, lining your tines, and more
- Working with Marzipan, Icing, Glaze and Filling Choices
- Decorating your cake with butter cream icing
- Decorating your cake with royal icing
- How to make and use a piping bag
- Decorating with Sugar Flowers (and Other Gum Paste Creations)
- Making and Decorating Wedding Cakes
- Creating decorative children's cakes
- Holiday and celebration cakes
- Theme Cakes
- Beloved Cupcakes
- And More Cake and frosting recipes to express your creativity
With practice and patience, cake decorating can be learned. This exclusive course starts you out with the basics from designing your work space, cake baking, decorating tools, prepping a cake for decorating and many tips of the trade to help you create delectable cakes, icings and fillings. You'll learn the importance of texture and the temperament of icings, how to avoid cake catastrophes, ways to fix them and still keep your cake looking perfect.
Whether you're looking to start a cake decorating business or just make cakes for family and friends, Cake Decorating 101 will teach you all you need to know to turn out professionally decorated cakes. You'll develop techniques practiced by professional cake decorators such as applying buttercream icing, how to make a rose, level a cake, pour ganache and master a piping bag.
From breath taking designs to whimsy, all the latest cake decorating trends are disclosed, with instructions and ideas about how to bake and decorate the darlings of the cake world, finger licking cupcakes.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: Getting StartedLet's make sure we have the right supplies before we start decorating our cake.
Lesson 2 : Cake Decorating Tools and Work SpaceIn this lesson, we will get more specific about cake decorating tools that you will use, as well as creating a work organization/space for your cake decorating.
Lesson 3 : Planning and Designing Your CakeIn this lesson, we will begin this creative process with the successful strategy of designing and planning our cakes.
Lesson 4: The 411 on Cake Baking BasicsFirst, we need to bake a cake before we can start decorating it.
Lesson 5: Basic Cake Decorating RecipesIn this lesson you will learn the basic recipes for baking your cake, frostings, and preparing your cake for decoration.
Lesson 6 : Icing, Glaze, and Filling ChoicesWe will now explore the wonders of using fondant, filling and coating layers, and frequent problems/solutions of decorating your first cake.
Lesson 7: Decorating With Buttercream IcingDecorating with buttercream icing - it's smooth, it's creamy, and it keeps its soft texture, making it easy to cut through. In this lesson, we will learn how to make and use this basic icing.
Lesson 8: Decorating With Royal IcingDecorating with Royal Icing, also known as glace royal, is another versatile icing you should add to your repertoire.In this lesson, you will learn how to make and use this type of icing.
Lesson 9: The Scary Piping BagA great deal of cake decorating does require the use of a piping bag. Making and using a piping bag does scare off many cooks, but it really is not difficult to master, as this lesson will demonstrate.
Lesson 10: Decorating With Sugar Flowers (And Other Gum Paste Creations)In this lesson you will learn the secrets of decorating with (or even making your own) sugar flowers as a great way to show off your skills in an elegant, sophisticated way.
Lesson 11 : Fruits, Flowers, Fun, and FancyIn this lesson you will learn how to make flowers, leaves, fruits, frosted ornaments, and a simple stripple cake.
Lesson 12 : Wedding CakesForget traditional! Today's wedding cakes are rising to a whole new level of creativity. In this lesson, you will learn current decorating trends.
Lesson 13: Decorative Children's CakesNow that you've armed yourself with new icings and decorating ideas, it's time to put it all together in an entire cake. We'll begin with creating decorative children's cakes.
Lesson 14: Holiday and Celebration CakesHoliday and celebration Cakes are always in demand. Whether snowflakes are in the air, turkey is on the table, or Easter eggs are hiding in the shrubbery, there are literally hundreds of occasions that call for a celebration cake.
Lesson 15: Cool Theme CakesIn this lesson, we will look at many popular theme cakes, such as portrait cakes; how to use gum paste to make a personal statement; and lots of other ideas and recipes.
Lesson 16 : Beloved CupcakesMastering the art of baking and decorating cupcakes must be a part of anyone learning how to make cake desserts.
Lesson 17: Express Your CreativityMarzipan is a wonderful topping that will help you express your creativity. It can be a decorative icing, can provide a firm undercoat for royal icing, or a sugarpaste icing covering. It's very pliable and the white tinted marzipan takes color well.
Lesson 18: Some More Cake and Frosting RecipesLearn the recipes for cakes, frostings, and icings, including: classic white layer cake, yellow cake, chocolate cake, butter cream icing, royal icing, marzipan, rolled fondant, and gum paste.
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the tools and workspace needed to decorate a cake.
- Describe how to plan and design a cake.
- Summarize the best cake decorating recipes.
- Describe icing, glazing and filling techniques.
- Demonstrate decorating cakes with butter cream icing.
- Demonstrate decorating cakes with royal icing.
- Demonstrate creating cake decorations using a piping bag.
- Summarize methods used to decorate cakes with gum paste.
- Describe procedures involved in decorating wedding cakes, children's cakes, holiday and celebration cakes, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment: Gathering Basic Supplies to begin Baking a Cake||Assignment||5|
|Lesson 2 Assignment: Cake Decorating tools and Creating your Cake Decorating Workspace||Assignment||5|
|Lesson 2 : Cake Decorating Tools and Work Space||Exam||9|
|Lesson 3 Assignment: Make Yourself Some Quick Reference Cards||Assignment||5|
|Lesson 3 : Planning and Designing Your Cake||Exam||8|
|Lesson 4 Assignment: Try Baking and Decorating a Cake||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 5 Assignment: Prepare a 2 Layer Box Cake||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 5 : Planning and Designing||Exam||9|
|Lesson 6 Assignment: Practice Working with Fondant||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 6 : Icing, Glaze and Filling Choices||Exam||9|
|Lesson 7 Assignment: Working with ButterCream Icing||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 8 Assignment: Working with Royal Icing||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 9 Assignment: Practicing Making a Pastry Bag||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 9: The Scary Piping Bag||Exam||7|
|Lesson 10 Assignment: Working with Flowers||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 11 Assignment: Practice Making Leafs||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 11 : Fruits, Flowers, Fun and Fancy||Exam||9|
|Lesson 12 Assignment: Cake Decorating Expertise||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 12 : Wedding Cakes||Exam||9|
|Lesson 13 Assignment: Making Children's Cakes||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 14 Assignment: Decorating a Holiday Cake||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 15 Assignment: Making Memories||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 15 : Cool Theme Cakes||Exam||10|
|Lesson 16 Assignment: Make Some Cupcakes||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 16 : Beloved Cupcakes||Exam||9|
|Lesson 17 Assignment: Ganache Decorations||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 17 : Express Your Creativity||Exam||8|
- All About Herbs$55.001.1 CEUs
- Weight Training 101$80.001.4 CEUs
- Life Coaching 101$90.001.5 CEUs
- How to Can, Freeze, Dry and Preserve Food$55.001.0 CEUs
- Floral Arrangement 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Interior Decorating Made Easy$70.000.8 CEUs
- Candle Making 101$60.001.0 CEUs
- Party Planning 101$65.001.4 CEUs
- Tex Mex Cooking 101$55.000.8 CEUs
- Nutrition 101$90.001.1 CEUs
- Genealogy 101$75.001.2 CEUs
- Etiquette 101$65.001.2 CEUs
- Career Coaching$65.001.4 CEUs
- How to Be Your Own Life Coach$60.001.0 CEUs
- Introduction to Gardening$60.001.1 CEUs
- Buying and Selling Antiques and Collectibles$55.001.0 CEUs
- Traditional Scrapbooking 101$54.001.5 CEUs
- Etiquette for Children and Teens$55.001.0 CEUs
- Vegetarianism 101: How to Be a Vegetarian$55.000.6 CEUs
- Sewing 101$95.001.0 CEUs
- Fashion Design 101: An Introduction$65.001.0 CEUs
- Lifetime Wellness 101$60.001.1 CEUs
- Wellness Coaching$75.001.1 CEUs
- How to Start a Craft Business$70.001.0 CEUs
- Interior Design 101$70.001.0 CEUs
- Catering 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Spanish Cooking 101$55.000.4 CEUs
- Special Events Planning 101$70.001.4 CEUs
- Italian Cooking 101$55.001.1 CEUs
- Kitchen Sanitation 101$95.001.2 CEUs
- Waiter and Waitress Training 101$65.001.1 CEUs