Online Class: Cake Decorating 101
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this course
Course DescriptionHave you ever had a greasy puddle of icing on your cake plate? By the end of Cake Decorating 101, you'll be assured this will never happen to one of your cakes. Cake decorating is not just buttercream anymore. It is the final packaging everyone sees first and should entice people to imagine the texture and flavor of what lies beneath the icing.
Why do you want to learn to make great cakes?
- An upcoming wedding (you've seen what a purchased wedding cake can cost)
- Did you agree to be a "classroom mother" and want to make special cakes for the holidays or specific units?
- Is there a baker in the family you're dying to out-do?
- Are you looking for the appeal offered by more traditional domestic skills?
- Are you hoping to enter a local or regional baking competition?
- Are you thinking of baking to earn some extra dough?
- Is your organization looking for new fundraising opportunities like an upper scale cake walk, perhaps?
These are only a few of the reasons that may have attracted you to this course. However, whatever your motives may be, here are the skills you can look forward to gaining in the following lessons:
- Equipment, utensils, tools and preparations
- The basics of cake-baking: decorating techniques, planning and designing your cake, lining your tines, and more
- Working with Marzipan, Icing, Glaze and Filling Choices
- Decorating your cake with butter cream icing
- Decorating your cake with royal icing
- How to make and use a piping bag
- Decorating with Sugar Flowers (and Other Gum Paste Creations)
- Making and Decorating Wedding Cakes
- Creating decorative children's cakes
- Holiday and celebration cakes
- Theme Cakes
- Beloved Cupcakes
- And More Cake and frosting recipes to express your creativity
With practice and patience, cake decorating can be learned. This exclusive course starts you out with the basics from designing your work space, cake baking, decorating tools, prepping a cake for decorating and many tips of the trade to help you create delectable cakes, icings and fillings. You'll learn the importance of texture and the temperament of icings, how to avoid cake catastrophes, ways to fix them and still keep your cake looking perfect.
Whether you're looking to start a cake decorating business or just make cakes for family and friends, Cake Decorating 101 will teach you all you need to know to turn out professionally decorated cakes. You'll develop techniques practiced by professional cake decorators such as applying buttercream icing, how to make a rose, level a cake, pour ganache and master a piping bag.
From breath taking designs to whimsy, all the latest cake decorating trends are disclosed, with instructions and ideas about how to bake and decorate the darlings of the cake world, finger licking cupcakes.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Feedback
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: Getting StartedLet's make sure we have the right supplies before we start decorating our cake.
Lesson 2 : Cake Decorating Tools and Work SpaceIn this lesson, we will get more specific about cake decorating tools that you will use, as well as creating a work organization/space for your cake decorating.
Lesson 3 : Planning and Designing Your CakeIn this lesson, we will begin this creative process with the successful strategy of designing and planning our cakes.
Lesson 4: The 411 on Cake Baking BasicsFirst, we need to bake a cake before we can start decorating it.
Lesson 5: Basic Cake Decorating RecipesIn this lesson you will learn the basic recipes for baking your cake, frostings, and preparing your cake for decoration.
Lesson 6 : Icing, Glaze, and Filling ChoicesWe will now explore the wonders of using fondant, filling and coating layers, and frequent problems/solutions of decorating your first cake.
Lesson 7: Decorating With Buttercream IcingDecorating with buttercream icing - it's smooth, it's creamy, and it keeps its soft texture, making it easy to cut through. In this lesson, we will learn how to make and use this basic icing.
Lesson 8: Decorating With Royal IcingDecorating with Royal Icing, also known as glace royal, is another versatile icing you should add to your repertoire.In this lesson, you will learn how to make and use this type of icing.
Lesson 9: The Scary Piping BagA great deal of cake decorating does require the use of a piping bag. Making and using a piping bag does scare off many cooks, but it really is not difficult to master, as this lesson will demonstrate.
Lesson 10: Decorating With Sugar Flowers (And Other Gum Paste Creations)In this lesson you will learn the secrets of decorating with (or even making your own) sugar flowers as a great way to show off your skills in an elegant, sophisticated way.
Lesson 11 : Fruits, Flowers, Fun, and FancyIn this lesson you will learn how to make flowers, leaves, fruits, frosted ornaments, and a simple stripple cake.
Lesson 12 : Wedding CakesForget traditional! Today's wedding cakes are rising to a whole new level of creativity. In this lesson, you will learn current decorating trends.
Lesson 13: Decorative Children's CakesNow that you've armed yourself with new icings and decorating ideas, it's time to put it all together in an entire cake. We'll begin with creating decorative children's cakes.
Lesson 14: Holiday and Celebration CakesHoliday and celebration Cakes are always in demand. Whether snowflakes are in the air, turkey is on the table, or Easter eggs are hiding in the shrubbery, there are literally hundreds of occasions that call for a celebration cake.
Lesson 15: Cool Theme CakesIn this lesson, we will look at many popular theme cakes, such as portrait cakes; how to use gum paste to make a personal statement; and lots of other ideas and recipes.
Lesson 16 : Beloved CupcakesMastering the art of baking and decorating cupcakes must be a part of anyone learning how to make cake desserts.
Lesson 17: Express Your CreativityMarzipan is a wonderful topping that will help you express your creativity. It can be a decorative icing, can provide a firm undercoat for royal icing, or a sugarpaste icing covering. It's very pliable and the white tinted marzipan takes color well.
Lesson 18: Some More Cake and Frosting RecipesLearn the recipes for cakes, frostings, and icings, including: classic white layer cake, yellow cake, chocolate cake, butter cream icing, royal icing, marzipan, rolled fondant, and gum paste.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Cake Decorating 101Course Number: 8900279Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: How ToCEU Value: 1.4 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsInstructor: Nancy FillipSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $50.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $75.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the tools and workspace needed to decorate a cake.
- Describe how to plan and design a cake.
- Summarize the best cake decorating recipes.
- Describe icing, glazing and filling techniques.
- Demonstrate decorating cakes with butter cream icing.
- Demonstrate decorating cakes with royal icing.
- Demonstrate creating cake decorations using a piping bag.
- Summarize methods used to decorate cakes with gum paste.
- Describe procedures involved in decorating wedding cakes, children's cakes, holiday and celebration cakes, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
An Introduction Assignment 5 Lesson 1 Assignment: Gathering Basic Supplies to begin Baking a Cake Assignment 100 Lesson 2 Assignment: Cake Decorating tools and Creating your Cake Decorating Workspace Assignment 5 Lesson 2 : Cake Decorating Tools and Work Space Exam 9 Lesson 3 Assignment: Make Yourself Some Quick Reference Cards Assignment 5 Lesson 3 : Planning and Designing Your Cake Exam 8 Lesson 4 Assignment: Try Baking and Decorating a Cake Assignment 25 Lesson 5 Assignment: Prepare a 2 Layer Box Cake Assignment 25 Lesson 5 : Planning and Designing Exam 9 Lesson 6 Assignment: Practice Working with Fondant Assignment 25 Lesson 6 : Icing, Glaze and Filling Choices Exam 9 Lesson 7 Assignment: Working with ButterCream Icing Assignment 25 Lesson 8 Assignment: Working with Royal Icing Assignment 25 Lesson 9 Assignment: Practicing Making a Pastry Bag Assignment 10 Lesson 9: The Scary Piping Bag Exam 7 Lesson 10 Assignment: Working with Flowers Assignment 10 Lesson 11 Assignment: Practice Making Leafs Assignment 10 Lesson 11 : Fruits, Flowers, Fun and Fancy Exam 9 Lesson 12 Assignment: Cake Decorating Expertise Assignment 10 Lesson 12 : Wedding Cakes Exam 9 Lesson 13 Assignment: Making Children's Cakes Assignment 25 Lesson 14 Assignment: Decorating a Holiday Cake Assignment 25 Lesson 15 Assignment: Making Memories Assignment 25 Lesson 15 : Cool Theme Cakes Exam 10 Lesson 16 Assignment: Make Some Cupcakes Assignment 25 Lesson 16 : Beloved Cupcakes Exam 9 New Things Assignment 100 Lesson 17 Assignment: Ganache Decorations Assignment 25 Lesson 17 : Express Your Creativity Exam 8 Final Assignment Assignment 100 Total Points: 692
Choose Your Subscription PlanCourse OnlyOne Course
No Certificate / No CEUs$50for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate X Includes CEUs X Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 courseCertificate CourseOne Course
Certificate & CEUs$75for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 coursePlatinum YearlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$189per yearYou save 50%!Billed once
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 12 Months No. of courses 500+Platinum MonthlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$59 first month$29.00 / each consecutive month thereafterBilled monthly
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete Monthly No. of courses 500+
- "I took this course to learn more about decorating cakes and I learned more than I had ever expected to. This is a great course!" -- Anna S.
- "This whole course was very helpful to me, I really did enjoy the whole course, I learned so much, taking this class and I do plan on enrolling in another one just as soon as I complete this course." -- Vanessa J.
- "All of this course was extremely helpful and interesting and I have learned so much. I really enjoyed it. I have used a lot of the recipes for cakes and tested out some of the different ways of making decorations for the cakes. I found this course was brilliant and the best thing was that I could do it from home when I had the time to do it in-between working and kids, etc." -- Sarah Y.
- "I found all parts of the course very helpful, as it was easy to understand more about icing, fondants...storage of cakes...also the links were a great guideline in finding what I need to....You're a great instructor! :)" -- Sheri S.
- "Overall a great course and would do it again." -- Sam M.
- "I think the instructor was great....she answered my questions and has been patient in waiting for the pictures. I found the reading material helpful as well as the videos." -- Sandra R.
- "Thank you. Really enjoyed doing assignments." -- Sarah H.
- View More Testimonials...