Dealing With Difficult People
- OR -
with CEU Certificate*
with CEU Certificate*
Start Right Now!
Taking multiple courses? Save with our platinum program.
have taken this courseLoading...
Course DescriptionDealing with a difficult or toxic personality can be damaging both emotionally and physically, particularly if the person is your boss or sitting in the cubicle right next to you. Confronting those who compromise your comfort and job security can be very difficult for many people, but standing up for yourself is essential in the workplace.
If you can't stop thinking about a problem with someone at work- be it a bullying boss, a subversive coworker, or a sexist client- it's important to know that you can take control of the situation. This class will allow students to explore what feeds these kinds of behaviors, ways to address these situations, and when to call for outside assistance.
In 11 easy to follow lessons, students will learn to identify various types of difficult personalities and address conflict before it begins to chip away at their well-being and job satisfaction.Course material includes:
- An overview of your rights in the workplace
- Simple tips for reducing stress on the job
- Establishing boundaries
- Effective collaboration
- Conflict resolution
- Interpreting body language
- Coping with aggressive behavior
- Dealing with critics and power freaks
- Working with slackers and energy vampires
- Avoiding the gossip mill
- Gender differences in the workplace
- What to do when prejudice rears its ugly head
- Standing up to a bullying boss
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1 : Course IntroductionDealing with a difficult or toxic personality can be damaging both emotionally and physically, particularly if the person is your boss or sitting in the cubicle right next to you.
Lesson 2 : Basic Conflict ResolutionThis lesson may be a review of what you learned in grade school, but some grown-ups don't play by the rules. In the midst of dealing with a difficult person, it's easy to forget the fundamentals of conflict resolution.
Lesson 3: Understanding Body LanguageThe messages conveyed by their body language are known as subtext, a term that is often used in the acting world to describe the underlying meaning of what is being said.
Lesson 4: BulliesGarnering a reputation for being a jerk breeds the contempt and mistrust of others, and has been shown to diminish chances for pay raises and promotions.
Lesson 5: Power Struggles: Handling Critics, Rivals, and Power FreaksThis lesson identifies a few categories of difficult people who all have one thing in common. They are in pursuit of, you guessed it, power.
Lesson 6: Slackers and Energy VampiresNot only has slacking been labeled by many news stories as a workplace epidemic, there are numerous articles that attempt to illustrate the very little risk involved in turning in a below average performance.
Lesson 7: Office GossipOffice gossip can be immensely damaging to productivity and morale, and obviously, no one likes to be gossiped about.
Lesson 8: Problematic PersonalitiesSome people are just hard to deal with. In this lesson we'll discuss several types of troublesome behavior and ways to address them without ruining your day.
Lesson 9: When Men and Women Collide: Gender Differences in the WorkplaceIn this lesson, we'll discuss some common differences in the communication styles of men and women, and ways to address conflict that may arise from these differences.
Lesson 10: When The Bully Is Your BossMany bosses fall into the category of power freaks. Whether the impulse to micro-manage and control is manifested in aggressive or passive-aggressive ways, a power freak boss can often leave you feeling stressed and walking on eggshells.
Lesson 11: Successful CollaborationThis lesson will explore some of the keys to effective collaboration. Developing solutions as a team can sometimes be as difficult for adults as sharing a toy box is for a group of kids.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Dealing With Difficult PeopleCourse Number: 7550249Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: How ToCEU Value: 1.0 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: difficultpeople.onlineclasses.comInstructor: Michelle MoneySyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $50.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $75.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe basic conflict resolution processes.
- Evaluate body language.
- Identify bullies.
- Recognize power struggles.
- Describe and identify slackers and energy vampires.
- Recognize office gossip and its effects on the workplace.
- Recognize and reconcile problematic personalities.
- Describe methods for dealing with a bully as a boss.
- Describe benefits of successful collaboration, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
An Introduction Assignment 5 Lesson 1 Assignment: Are You a Difficult Person? Assignment 25 Lesson 1: Course Introduction Exam 9 Lesson 2 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 2: Basic Conflict Resolution Exam 10 Lesson 3 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 3: Understanding Body Language Exam 11 Lesson 4 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 4: Bullies Exam 12 Lesson 5 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 5: Power Struggles: Handling Critics, Rivals and Power Freaks With Panache Exam 11 Lesson 6 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 6: Slackers and Energy Vampires Exam 12 Lesson 7 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 7: Gossip Girls (and Guys) Exam 12 Lesson 8 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 8: Problematic Personalities Exam 12 Lesson 9 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 9: When Men and Women Collide: Gender Differences In The Workplace Exam 9 Lesson 10 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 10: When The Bully Is Your Boss Exam 10 Lesson 11 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 11: Successful Collaboration Exam 10 The Final Exam Exam 54 Total Points: 452
- "It is a great course, yet it may not work in all area's of life. (I am personally stuggling with it) Thank-you have a grat day; see you back on line." -- Richard P.
- "The whole course was very helpful....This course was very helpful to what is happening in the society in Australia at the moment. Most people here don't know how to deal with people that are difficult. I have passed most of the course information to people that I used to work with to help them deal with a power play administrator that is causing everyone problems & helping them deal with it. This course has been wonderful to me & to others" -- Joy S.