Online Class: All About Herbs
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this course
Herbs are used for both culinary and medicinal purposes--and sometimes even spiritual purposes. All About Herbs will cover all the basics so that you are ready to explore all of Herbs' many uses.
Not only will you learn the history and definitions, but you will also be able to:
- List several benefits of cooking with herbs and have a basic understanding of how to prepare herbs and incorporate them into your favorite foods.
- Grasp the main traditions in herbal medicine.
- Understand the benefits of growing herbs at home and how to plan your first herb garden.
- Know how to select the right herbs, the best containers, the ideal fertilizer and the best amount of water to help your container herb garden thrive.
- Know when to harvest your herbs and how to dry them for storage so you can enjoy home-grown herbs all year long.
-How to start a heart-healthy, cold and flu prevention garden using basil, cayenne and garlic.
- How aloe vera and peppermint make wonderful additions to both your herb garden and your medicine cabinet.
- Know the beauty of rosemary, fennel and lavender and how to grow them yourself.
- Understand how these ingredients can add a lovely scent to your garden and delicate ingredients to make your own cosmetic treatments.
-Know about another facet of herbal medicine, aromatherapy, which is based on the power of herbs' fragrances and helps treat both mood and health issues.-Know how to prepare herbs in a variety of forms to best treat any of a number of conditions. These methods range from a simple tea, or infusion, to a good old-fashioned poultice. We'll also share some advice on being very careful with herbs to avoid negative results.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: The History of HerbsAt the end of Lesson 1, you should have a solid grasp of what defines an herb, as well as a good overview of the history of herbs around the world.
Lesson 2: Culinary HerbsAt the end of Lesson 2, you should be able to list several benefits of cooking with herbs, and have a basic understanding of how to prepare herbs and incorporate them into your favorite foods.
Lesson 3: Medicinal HerbsAt the end of Lesson 3, you will have a solid grasp of the three primary traditions in herbal medicine -- Greco-Roman, Ayurveda, and Chinese herbal medicine. Plus, you'll learn how medicinal herbs are used in the U.S. today.
Lesson 4: Growing Your Own HerbsAt the end of Lesson 4, you should understand the benefits of growing herbs at home and how to plan your first herb garden.
Lesson 5: Container GardeningAt the end of Lesson 5, you should have a good handle on the unique requirements and advantages of growing herbs in containers.
Lesson 6: Harvesting and Drying HerbsAt the end of Lesson 6, you'll know how to handle your bountiful herb garden harvest, including how and when to harvest your herbs and how to dry them for storage, so you can enjoy home-grown herbs all year long.
Lesson 7: Heart-Healthy, Cold and Flu GardenAt the end of Lesson 7, you'll know how to start a heart-healthy, cold and flu prevention garden using basil, cayenne, and garlic. You may also get inspired to create your own healthy herb garden designed around your tastes and climate.
Lesson 8: First Aid GardenAt the end of Lesson 8, you'll understand how aloe vera and peppermint make wonderful additions to both your herb garden and your medicine cabinet.
Lesson 9: Cosmetics GardenAt the end of Lesson 9, you'll know the beauty of rosemary, fennel, and lavender -- and how to grow them yourself.
Lesson 10: AromatherapyAt the end of Lesson 10, you'll know about another facet of herbal medicine, aromatherapy, which is based on the power of herbs' fragrances and helps treat both mood and health issues.
Lesson 11: Making Herbal PreparationsAt the end of Lesson 11, you will know how to prepare herbs in a variety of forms to best treat any of a number of conditions. These methods range from a simple tea, or infusion, to a good old-fashioned poultice.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: All About HerbsCourse Number: 8900270Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: General EducationCEU Value: 0.7 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: herbs.onlineclasses.comInstructor: Nancy FillipSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $30.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $55.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the history of herbs.
- Identify, describe, and evaluate various uses for culinary herbs and medicinal herbs.
- Summarize the basic techniques for growing your own herbs.
- Summarize the techniques involved in harvesting and drying herbs, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
An Introduction Assignment 5 Lesson 1: Define Herbs Assignment 25 Lesson 1 : The History of Herbs Exam 9 Culinary Herbs Assignment 100 Lesson 2: Herbs in Food Preparation Assignment 25 Lesson 2 : Culinary Herbs Exam 8 Lesson 3: Traditions in Herbs Assignment 25 Lesson 3 : Medicinal Herbs Exam 10 Freight Farming Assignment 100 Lesson 4: Benefits of Herb Gardening Assignment 20 Lesson 4: Growing Your Own Herbs Exam 9 Lesson 5: Benefits of Container Gardening Assignment 20 Lesson 5: Container Gardening Exam 10 Lesson 6: Consideration for Harvesting and Drying Herbs Assignment 20 Lesson 6: Harvesting & Drying Herbs Exam 10 Lesson 7: Uses and the Medicinal Values of Herbs Assignment 20 Lesson 7: Heart Healthy & Cold & Flu Garden Exam 9 Lesson 8: Uses of Aloe Vera and Peppermint Assignment 20 Lesson 8: First Aid Garden Exam 10 Lesson 9: Uses of Rosemary, Fennel and Lavender Assignment 25 Lesson 9: Cosmetics Garden Exam 9 Lesson 10: Treatment in Aromatherapy Assignment 20 Lesson 10: Aromatherapy Exam 10 Final Thoughts Assignment 100 Lesson 11: Simple Infused Oil Recipe Assignment 25 Lesson 11: Making Herbal Preparations Exam 10 The Final Exam Exam 53 Total Points: 707
- "This class was very helpful and extremely well written. I learned a great deal from this class and this instructor. The instructor was encouraging and answered all questions in a timely manner." -- Kelly S.
- "Great introduction to Herbs. Very happy with my experience in this class....The instructor is knowledgeable, quick to respond to inquiries, and to return grades. Again, no negatives on the course." -- Doug T.