Online Class: Romance Writing
- OR -
with CEU Certificate*
with CEU Certificate*
Start Right Now!
Taking multiple courses? Save with our platinum program.
have taken this course
Course DescriptionWriting a romance novel is the dream of many people all over the world. It's no wonder: as the most popular fiction genre in the United States for the past three decades, there are more opportunities in romantic fiction than ever before.What's unique about the romance genre is that it is a very specialized industry. There are standards for plot, characterization, novel length, and even formatting that are required before most literary agents or publishers will even consider turning your manuscript into a published novel. Most readers know exactly what they expect from a romance novel, and you have to meet these expectations in order to succeed.This course will take you through everything you need to know to write the kind of romance novel that gets noticed. From creating a hero and heroine that sizzle to understanding point-of-view and knowing where to go for more resources, you'll get access to insider information on making the most out of your manuscript.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Feedback
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: Welcome to Romance WritingThis lesson focuses on the romance industry and getting started in it.
Lesson 2: Genres in RomanceThis lesson focuses on romance genres, including how they overlap and the requirements for each.
Lesson 3: Getting StartedThis lesson focuses on getting started transforming the ideas in your head to words on the page.
Lesson 4: Romance Writing: StyleIn this lesson, you will learn what the expectations for style and quality are in romance novels.
Lesson 5: Romance Writing: SettingIn this lesson, you will learn what to do to develop a realistic setting.
Lesson 6: Romance Writing: The HeroIn this lesson, you will learn what to do to develop the best hero for your novel.
Lesson 7: Romance Writing: The HeroineIn this lesson, you will learn what to do to develop the best heroine for your novel.
Lesson 8: Romance Writing: Additional CharactersIn this lesson, you will learn what is expected of secondary and additional characters in a romance.
Lesson 9: Romance Writing: PlotIn this lesson, you will learn about romance plot development.
Lesson 10: Romance Writing: ConflictIn this lesson, you will learn about creating effective and convincing conflict.
Lesson 11: Sex and Love ScenesIn this lesson, you will learn about writing convincing sex scenes.
Lesson 12: Preparing for SubmissionIn this lesson, you will learn about getting your manuscript ready for submission to agents and publishers.
Lesson 13: Additional ResourcesIn this lesson, you will learn where to go for more information on writing and publishing romance novels.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Romance WritingCourse Number: 7550290Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: How ToCEU Value: 1.2 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsInstructor: Melissa BehrendSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $65.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $90.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the romance industry.
- Define the genres in romance writing.
- Summarize the processes for transforming ideas in your head into words on paper.
- Define style and quality expected in the romance genre.
- Define a realistic setting for the romance genre.
- Define the hero in the romance story.
- Define the heroine in the romance story.
- Describe the secondary characters in the story.
- Define specific techniques for developing plot in the romance genre.
- Define the conflict of the romance story.
- Define ways to create convincing love and sex scenes.
- Prepare your work for submission, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
An Introduction Assignment 5 Lesson 1 Assignment: Self-Evaluation Assignment 20 Lesson 1 Exam Exam 8 Lesson 2 Assignment: Evaluating Genres Assignment 20 Lesson 2 Exam Exam 9 Lesson 3 Assignment: Setting Your Writing Schedule Assignment 20 Lesson 3 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 4 Assignment: Point of View Writing Assignment 20 Lesson 4 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 5 Assignment: Focusing on Setting Assignment 20 Lesson 5 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 6 Assignment: Narrowing Down the Hero Assignment 20 Lesson 6 Exam Exam 8 Lesson 7 Assignment: Creating the Heroine Assignment 20 Lesson 7 Exam Exam 8 Lesson 8 Assignment: Adding Additional Characters Assignment 20 Lesson 8 Exam Exam 9 Lesson 9 Assignment: Developing the Plot Assignment 20 Lesson 9 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 10 Assignment: Creating Conflict Assignment 20 Lesson 10 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 11 Assignment: Writing Sex and Love Scenes Assignment 20 Lesson 11 Exam Exam 9 Lesson 12 Assignment: Putting it All Together Assignment 25 Lesson 12 Exam Exam 8 Lesson 13 Assignment: Charting Your Course Assignment 20 Lesson 13 Exam Exam 10 The Final Exam Exam 60 Total Points: 449
Choose Your Subscription PlanCourse OnlyOne Course
No Certificate / No CEUs$65for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate X Includes CEUs X Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 courseCertificate CourseOne Course
Certificate & CEUs$90for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 coursePlatinum YearlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$189per yearYou save 50%!Billed once
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 12 Months No. of courses 500+Platinum MonthlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$59 first month$29.00 / each consecutive month thereafterBilled monthly
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete Monthly No. of courses 500+
- "For me the entire course was helpful since I was learning things about Romance writing I did not know. The lessons showed step by step what was needed to write an acceptable novel." -- Angela J.
- "The instructor was very helpful." -- Amy C.
- "The instructor was very prompt in reviewing and grading my assignments and answering my questions." -- Tiffany G.
- "It was all very helpful for me in preparing my book." -- Rosalind G.
- "Melissa Merritt is one of the best instructors you have. She is very knowledgeable and helpful. She is a very encouraging instructor." -- Donna N.
- "Everything was great." -- Betty H.
- "The assignments were most helpful to me" -- La P.
- View More Testimonials...