Online Class: How To Draw 101
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this course
This course is designed for beginner artists who have an interest in learning how to draw or sketch -- or simply want to improve their skills. It covers the tools you'll need to draw and also provide plenty of exercises to practice drawing using different techniques and styles. It will cover drawing people, places, things, and even abstract concepts. For best results, we highly recommended that you take your time going through this course.
It's easy to get excited and flip through the pages, just to see what we'll teach you to draw next. However, you'll miss out on the overall purpose of this course if you do. Learning to draw is a process, even if it is a fun one. In this course, you're going to learn the processes and techniques that gave rise to some of the most talented artists in the world. What you're going to learn over the fifteen lessons will be in-depth, professional information. It can be comparable to signing up for an art class at a large university.You're going to learn about:· The tools artists use to draw· Values· Shading· Textures and how to create them· Drawing flowers and trees· Drawing a still life· Drawing animals· Drawing people
That said, don't expect to be a master artist after you finish this course. Instead, expect to have the knowledge and training you need to continue to draw and learn to bring the scenes you see in your daily life to paper. You'll be able to draw whatever you see, and you'll have the knowledge to perfect the image. So, sit back and relax. You're not going to be judged or graded on your skill. The only grade you'll receive will be based upon your comprehension of the techniques and information we present. Your skill is something that will improve over time, and you'll be able to refer to this course whenever you want in the future.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: Introduction to DrawingThis course was designed for beginner artists who have an interest in learning how to draw or sketch -- or simply want to improve their skills.
Lesson 2: The Tools You'll Need -- and How to Use ThemWith any task you undertake in life, you need certain supplies to get it done properly.
Lesson 3: Looking at Things You Can DrawThe easiest way to begin drawing is to begin with simple lines. Most likely, you drew simple lines as a child to make shapes and pictures.
Lesson 4: Seeing the World as an ArtistYou may find this hard to believe, but drawing requires lots of brain power!
Lesson 5: Drawing LinesMost drawings that you look at are composed of lines. There are straight lines, curved lines, angular lines. Some are thin, some are thick. Some are bold, but some are subtle.
Lesson 6: Lights and ShadowsYou can draw something simple like the box below and then learn to draw things like the duck in a previous lesson, too. Yes, you can learn to draw these simple things, and you can also learn to be fairly good at drawing them.
Lesson 7: ShadingThe whole purpose of shading is to make your drawings more realistic and three dimensional. You can draw without learning to shade a thing, but your drawings won't be life-like. Instead, they'll be flat.
Lesson 8: TextureThe texture of your drawing is what will reveal shine, fur, fabric, and whether the object is smooth, rough, or jagged. Just like shading, it makes your drawing more realistic.
Lesson 9: PerspectivesAs we learned in a previous lesson, perspective is used in drawings to help give them a three-dimensional look.
Lesson 10: Composition and Planning DrawingsA composition is defined as the way the objects and subjects that you're going to draw are arranged, organized, and combined. Later in this course, we'll learn to draw a still life.
Lesson 11: Drawing MemoriesYour memories are a beautiful thing. They are stored in your mind like a treasure, and you can revisit them whenever you want.
Lesson 12: Drawing a Still LifeIt's a safe bet to say that when you think of still art, you probably think of a bowl filled with fruit. But the truth is that you can draw any symmetrical or non symmetrical object for a still art drawing.
Lesson 13: Trees and FlowersIn this lesson, we're going to learn how to draw flowers and trees. When drawing flowers and even other objects, it's important to remember to see the basic shapes in the objects.
Lesson 14: Drawing AnimalsThe cave men started it. They drew animals on the walls of their caves. Of course, they did this to tell of their hunting, but the fact remains.
Lesson 15: Drawing PeoplePeople are all different, and each person you draw will be different than the one before. It makes drawing a challenge, but it also makes it interesting. Think of how boring this world would be if we all looked alike!
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: How To Draw 101Course Number: 8900274Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: How ToCEU Value: 1.0 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: drawing101.onlineclasses.comInstructor: Nancy FillipSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $70.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $95.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Identify the tools you'll need -- and how to use them.
- Identify things you can draw.
- Demonstrate drawing lines.
- Demonstrate drawing lights and shadows.
- Demonstrate shading techniques.
- Demonstrate texture use in drawing.
- Demonstrate drawing perspectives.
- Summarize composition and planning drawings.
- Demonstrate drawing memories.
- Demonstrate drawing a still life.
- Demonstrate drawing trees, flowers, and animals.
- Demonstrate drawing people, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
An Introduction Assignment 5 Lesson 1 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 1: Introduction to Drawing Exam 9 Lesson 2 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 2: The Tools You'll Need -- and How to Use Them Exam 10 Lesson 3 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 3: Looking at Things You Can Draw Exam 10 Lesson 4 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 4: Seeing the World as an Artist Exam 10 Lesson 5 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 5: Drawing Lines Exam 10 Lesson 6 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 6: Lights and Shadows Exam 10 Lesson 7 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 7: Shading Exam 9 Lesson 8 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 8: Texture Exam 10 Lesson 9 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 9: Perspectives Exam 10 Lesson 10 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 10: Composition and Planning Drawings Exam 10 Lesson 11 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 11: Drawing Memories Exam 10 Lesson 12 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 12 Exercise Exam 7 Lesson 13 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 13 Exercise Exam 7 Lesson 14 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 14 Exercise Exam 10 New Things Assignment 100 Lesson 15 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 15 Exercise Exam 10 The Final Exam Exam 44 Total Points: 666
- "Excellent basic drawing course." -- Elsie M.
- "I loved the way the self-paced lessons built upon each other successively. The class links put together by the instructor were also excellent, and I find myself referring to them repeatedly. I can see that my drawing skills have really improved. I am very thankful for the opportunity to have taken this course, and particularly thankful to Stephanie Walsh for her patience in my taking a long time to complete it....Thank you!" -- Sudha B.
- "Great course - loved it. I thought it was very important to do the homework assignments. The practice made all the difference." -- Ray H.
- "I learned fundamentals that were new to me." -- Joseph H.
- "This class was awesome. I I'm a very visual person so it also helps to see what I'm learning to do." -- Carrie T.
- "I found that my instructor was helpful when she emailed me for grading on my assignments and exams, as well as encouraging. I found the lesson on shading very useful, because I could draw basic items, but they were flat and kind of boring without that three dimensional aspect." -- William S.
- "I really enjoyed the whole experience. It forced me to work toward a goal and I found this entirely worthwhile. The web lessons was excellent! Thank you!!" -- Donna B.
- View More Testimonials...