Online Class: Film Appreciation
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this course
Course Description'Film Appreciation for Modern Audiences' is intended as a journey through the world of film. It is a sampling of the thought and accumulated critical opinion that forms the basis of the modern stature of 100 years of film-making--as art or culturally important dramatic work.
If you love film, then this course will help you learn more about film analysis, film reviews and discussions, period genres and movements in film style, and more. It will provide you an informed opinion that will hopefully make your enjoyment of the film medium deeper.
This course may be useful for professionals who need to be informed and conversant about the film-industry; for the layman who wants to know as much as he/she can about the world of film for personal enjoyment; or for the student, hoping to become familiar with the 'lay-of-the-land' for film-criticism.
Lessons include discussions on the following:
- How you can get real enjoyment from the films you watch, and why you should care
- Early film-history
- The process of film-making and how it relates to understanding the films you watch
- A look at 100 years of film-styles, genres and movements
- A discussion of film-psychology, and some fascinating aspects of the perception of films
- A review of 'films to watch', taken in 20-year periods starting in 1900, and moving through 2007, featuring all the classics from each era
- General ideas about film and art-theory as a consumer habit
- Film composers to know
- Film directors to know
- How to get your twenty-dollar's worth at the movie-theater
- New ways to enjoy film and new audience technologies
- And much more
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: The Value of Film ViewingThis lesson asks the question, "Why do we enjoy watching movies?"
Lesson 2: Early Film HistoryThis lesson describes the evolution of filmmaking, the inventors, and early actors.
Lesson 3: The Filmmaking ProcessThis lesson describes the different phases of the filmmaking process.
Lesson 4: 100 Years of Film Styles and MovementsThis lesson describes how technology, culture, and current events affect movie making.
Lesson 5: Film PsychologyThis lesson describes how writers and directors can get reactions from movie goers.
Lesson 6: Films To Watch:1900 -- 1960This lesson explores the popular, classic, and well-made pictures of this era.
Lesson 7: Films to Watch 1960 -- 2007With new technology, popular movies are changing. Here are some of the most popular.
Lesson 8: General Ideas on Art Theory as a Consumer HabitThis lesson focuses on questions of art theory. What makes movies "art" or "classic?" What makes a picture "good" or "bad?"
Lesson 9: Film Composers to KnowThis lesson lists many of the most popular movie composers, and some of their greatest hits.
Lesson 10: Film Directors to KnowThis lesson lists influential film directors of the past and the present.
Lesson 11: How to Get Your Money's Worth at the MoviesThis lesson examines how box office receipts are influenced by the reviews, and by consumer likes and dislikes.
Lesson 12: New Ways to Enjoy Film, Technology, and the FutureThis lesson examines some of the new technology available for watching movies.
Lesson 13: Personal Enrichment as a Film Audience ConsumerThis lesson provides insight into "reality" versus "big screen."
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Film AppreciationCourse Number: 7550484Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: General EducationCEU Value: 1.3 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: filmappreciation.onlineclasses.comInstructor: C. Michael McKennaSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $50.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $75.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the value of film viewing.
- Summarize early film history.
- Summarize the filmmaking process.
- Define 100 years of film styles and movements.
- Define film psychology.
- Describe general ideas on art theory as a consumer habit.
- Describe new ways to enjoy film, technology, and the future, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 1 Review Exam 16 Lesson 2 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 2 Review Exam 17 Lesson 3 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 3 Review Exam 17 Lesson 4 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 4 Review Exam 17 Lesson 5 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 5 Review Exam 15 Lesson 6 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 6 Review Exam 10 Lesson 7 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 7 Review Exam 10 Lesson 8 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 8 Review Exam 15 Lesson 9 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 9 Review Exam 16 Lesson 10 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 10 Review Exam 15 Lesson 11 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 11 Review Exam 10 Lesson 12 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 12 Review Exam 10 Lesson 13 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 13 Review Exam 10 Total Points: 503
- "I appreciate the availability and the comments made on my work." -- Carlos G.
- "I liked the summaries of the different film, directors,and composers. Some of the aesthetic principles were interesting also." -- Linda B.