- OR -
with CEU Certificate*
with CEU Certificate*
Start Right Now!
Taking multiple courses? Save with our platinum program.
1.1 CEUs :: 11 Contact Hours :: Self-Paced :: Instructor Support :: 6 Month Subscription
The idea of running one's own business is the dream of hundreds of thousands of Americans. The reasons for opening your own business are myriad; to be your own boss, to set your own hours, to do what you want to do, to provide a product or service where you perceive a need, to follow your passion.
Any one of these reasons are good ones for opening your own business. There are really only a few real reasons for not just jumping into the process and opening your doors to new customers and your heart to an entirely new and wonderful way of life. The biggest reason is fear; fear based on lack of information. When you do not know how to do something, there is underlying fear that it will likely be done wrong.
In order to tackle your fear, you need knowledge and that is what this course on Retail Business will give you. By going through Retail Business you will discover whether or not you have the true entrepreneurial spirit to leave the corporate world and all that goes with it, and enter into your new world of Business Owner. The beauty of being a business owner is that you will never be bored, you will spend time doing the things that you love, and perhaps even with the people you love if you decide to join forces.
This course will take you through the lists of things that you need to do or consider before you open your doors. Once you have completed the course, you will have enough information to decide whether or not business ownership is for you.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1 : So, you want to be a retailer?Individually owned retail businesses are among the fastest growing in the country. Determine what type of business is best suited to your interests, expertise and goals.
Lesson 2 : Your Options and the CompetitionOvercoming fear and uncertainty is a major hurdle for many who dream of opening their own retail business. This lesson will teach skills and methods to help you achieve your goals.
Lesson 3 : Developing a Business PlanBefore you take steps to open a retail business, you need to have some sense of direction. A business plan is an essential part of the planning process. Learn how to develop a 'blueprint' for your business.
Lesson 4 : Structure of Your BusinessOkay, you're the boss - now what do you do about expenses and tax obligations? As your business grows, you may decide to form a partnership, incorporate or form an LLC. This lesson offers the basics of each.
Lesson 5 : Location, Location, LocationLocation is vital for the success of any business endeavor. This does not mean that the busiest street in your city is the best for your business. This lessons will show you how to determine the best location for your business.
Lesson 6 : MerchandiseUnderstanding how vendors and suppliers stock your store and how to purchase and price such goods is one of the foundations of delivering value and setting price points for resale to your potential customers.
Lesson 7 : Designing the StoreHow you display your products will have a great deal to do with your ultimate success in attracting customers. Product placement and attractive displays utilizing floor space and window treatments will appeal to and entice customers.
Lesson 8 : Marketing IssuesMarketing is important because it alerts consumers that you are open for business. Not only is marketing vital for building clientele, it's an investment that should not be overlooked. Various marketing methods are explored in this lesson.
Lesson 9 : StaffingFinding honest, reliable employees is an important part of managing your retail business. Learn what to look for when hiring and create a loyal workforce for optimal success.
Lesson 10 : Training and MotivatingHappy employees mean happy customers. Adequately training employees and keeping them motivated is essential to ensure a smoothly functioning business and enhance communication with customers.
Lesson 11 : Will We Make It?Determining whether you are, or will continue to be, successful as a retailer depends on several factors. These factors are addressed in this concluding lesson.
Average Lesson Rating: (223 votes)
11 Contact Hours
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Course Title: Retail Business 101
Course Number: 7550124
Languages: English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries
Course Type: Professional Development
CEU Value: 1.1 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)
CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).
Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earned
Assessment Method: Lesson assignments and review exams
Course URL: retail.onlineclasses.com
Instructor: UniversalClass Staff Instructor
Syllabus: View Syllabus
Duration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!
Requirements: View Technical Requirements
Course Fee: $40.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $65.00
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Define what is a retail business and whether or not it is right for you.
- Summarize your options and the competition.
- Develop a business plan.
- Structure your business.
- Define location, location, location.
- Describe merchandise.
- Describe designing the store.
- Describe marketing issues.
- Summarize staffing.
- Describe training and motivating, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 1 : So, you want to be a retailer?||Exam||62|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Quiz for Lesson 2 : Your Options and the Competition||Exam||60|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||Assignment||30|
|Quiz for Lesson 3 : Developing a Business Plan||Exam||58|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 4 : Structure of Your Business||Exam||50|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 5 : Location, Location, Location||Exam||52|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 6 : Merchandise||Exam||58|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Quiz for Lesson 7 : Designing the Store||Exam||60|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Quiz for Lesson 8 : Marketing Issues||Exam||49|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Quiz for Lesson 9 : Staffing||Exam||50|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Quiz for Lesson 10 : Training and Motivating||Exam||42|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||30|
|Quiz for Lesson 11 : Will We Make It?||Exam||61|
|The Final Exam||Exam||420|
- Concierge 101: How to Run a Personal Service Business$60.001.1 CEUs
- Hotel Management 101$65.000.9 CEUs
- Waiter and Waitress Training 101$65.001.1 CEUs
- Assertiveness Training$60.001.1 CEUs
- Customer Relationship Management$65.001.2 CEUs
- General Secretary 101$70.001.0 CEUs
- Listening Skills 101$55.001.2 CEUs
- Interview Skills$60.001.0 CEUs
- Management Essentials$60.000.7 CEUs
- Purchasing and Vendor Management 101$65.000.4 CEUs
- Running Effective Meetings$50.000.7 CEUs
- Microsoft Project 2013$60.001.0 CEUs
- Microsoft Visio 2013$65.001.0 CEUs
- Healthy Relationships$50.001.0 CEUs
- Payroll Management 101$65.001.1 CEUs
- Managing Your Career$60.000.6 CEUs
- Accounting & Bookkeeping 101 for Everyone$90.003.2 CEUs
- Customer Service 101$70.001.5 CEUs
- Mediation 101$95.001.2 CEUs
- Resume Writing 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Confidence Building$55.001.0 CEUs
- Small Business Guide$60.001.1 CEUs
- Contract Law 101 - An Introduction$75.001.0 CEUs
- Investing 201: Intro to Commodity, Options, and Futures Markets$65.001.2 CEUs
- Writing Effective Persuasion$60.001.2 CEUs
- Legal Terminology 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Investing 101: Stocks, Bonds, and Mutual Funds$60.000.4 CEUs
- Personal Finance 101: How to Manage Your Money$55.001.0 CEUs
- Telephone Skills and Quality Customer Service$75.001.2 CEUs
- Business Consulting 101$70.001.1 CEUs
- Business Budgeting 101: How to Plan, Save, and Manage$60.001.0 CEUs
- Estate Planning$60.001.0 CEUs
- Marketing Outreach$65.001.0 CEUs