Online Class: Listening Skills 101
This course explains the ins and outs of what good listening skills consist of, why they are important and how you can improve them. The course helps you determine what type of listener you are, provides basic skills of listening, barriers to listening, listening habits, body language, and activities to improve listening habits. You will learn the importance of physical attributes, active listening, attitude, perception, bias, language barriers, key gestures, and even how to take good notes.
Lesson 1: Listening Skills 101In this lesson, you will be introduced to what listening skills are and why they are so important in your life.
Lesson 2: What Kind of Listener Are You?This lesson focuses on determining what type of listener you currently are and what your childhood listening experiences were.
Lesson 3: How to Listen WellIn this lesson, you will be introduced to what it means to listen well, including discussing the physical attributes, as well as active listening.
Lesson 4: Three Basic Listening ModelsWith this lesson, we will focus on three of the main basic listening models, including competitive, attentive, and reflective.
Lesson 5: The Three Basic Skills of ListeningIn Lesson Five, we will take a look at the three basic skills of listening, including attitude, attention, and adjustment.
Lesson 6: Barriers to ListeningIn this lesson, we will take a more in-depth look at some of the most common barriers to listening.
Lesson 7: Listening HabitsIn this lesson, we will be discussing listening habits, including those that are poor versus good.
Lesson 8: Irritating Listening HabitsLesson Eight will look at some irritating listening habits and how they may impact the listening process.
Lesson 9: Body LanguageIn this lesson, we will look at body language, including what it is, what it has to do with listening, and some key gestures.
Lesson 10: Listening and LecturesIn this lesson, we will discuss how to get the most out of a lecture, as well as note-taking.
Lesson 11: Activities that Improve Listening SkillsThis lesson focuses on the types of activities that can help improve one's listening skills.
Lesson 12: Helping Children Become Good ListenersThis lesson focuses on ways that you can help children become good listeners and why it is important to do so.
Lesson 13: Putting It All TogetherIn this final lesson, we will take a look at putting together all the information that has been covered throughout this course.
- Identify what kind of listener you are.
- Summarize how to listen well.
- Describe three basic listening models.
- Recognize the three basic skills of listening.
- Define barriers to listening.
- Summarize listening habits.
- Describe irritating listening habits.
- Recognize body language.
- Describe listening and lectures.
- Summarize activities that improve listening skills.
- Describe how to help children become good listeners.
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- "This has helped a lot. I'm easily distracted and learned that if I take notes at my appointments and meetings that I focus a LOT more. Thank you for taking the time to offer this class." -- Joanna W.
- "I loved this class. I learned about what kind of listener I was and how to improve upon it. I tend to day dream sometimes when I listened to people. I loved the instructor who made you think and helped you apply what you have learned to your everyday life. I have taken her before and I think her hands on approach to learning makes it so important to remember. Everyone could benefit from learning to listen better. It will add so much to your life." -- Julie R.
- "It was an effective course to determine the kind of listener that I am. It gave me the tools to improve my listening skills. I learned more about body language that I was not aware of previously. This course was great. I wanted to be a better listener and I feel that this course helped me achieve that goal." -- Sophia R.
- "This couse was an eye opening for me. Due to all the mistakes I've been doing though out my life. Started a journal hopefully by my 3 to 4 weeks are over I'll see more improvement. Because i already saw it, and helping family with what i have learned." -- Rosabel A.
- "I learned how to become a listener from your class. I will do my best to implement the tools I learned from your class in my daily communication and interaction with family, friends, coworkers, and patrons. I enthusiastically recommended this class to my supervisor and coworkers!" -- Maria C.
- "I may decide to get a part-time or full-time job. This training will help me obtain employment or a volunteer position at a non-profit agency." -- Adele L.
- "The instructor always offers up reinforcing feedback and in a timely fashion. The course is very helpful as it is a skill that everyone can improve upon and no matter how good or bad your listening skills are." -- Andrew E.
- "This course has helped me so much in practicing better listening skills in which I will still practice after the completion of this course to better conversations and understanding instructions in my personal and work life." -- Katherine B.
- "Thank you! I appreciate the knowledge received from this course!" -- Alyce P.
- "The instructor presents the material in a clear and concise manner." -- Mary A.
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Lifetime Wellness 101 + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Introduction to Ethics + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Management Consultant 101 + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Respectful International Workplace + More Info
- 3 hours 0.3 CEUs Building Self Esteem + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Emotional Intelligence + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Preventing Workplace Harassment + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Delegation Skills + More Info
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Community Development 101 + More Info
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Assertiveness Training + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Critical Thinking + More Info
- 14 hours 1.4 CEUs Career Coaching + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Gender Sensitivity Training + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Developing Great Social Skills + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Confidence Building + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Persuasion Techniques + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Healthy Relationships + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Listening Skills 101 + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Abnormal Psychology 101 + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Management Essentials + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Goal Setting 101 + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Goal Setting for Business + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Leadership and Supervision 101 + More Info
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Motivational and Public Speaking 101 + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs How to Be Your Own Life Coach + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Team Building 101 + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Innovative Thinking + More Info
- 4 hours 0.4 CEUs Resolving Workplace Conflict + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Speed Reading 101 + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Generational Diversity in the Workplace + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Creative Thinking + More Info
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Creating a Positive Work Environment + More Info
- 4 hours 0.4 CEUs Self Hypnosis 101: Reshaping Your Reality + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs How to Deal with Difficult Personalities + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Leadership Skills for Managers + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Time Management 101 + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Depression Management + More Info
- 15 hours 1.5 CEUs Life Coaching 101 + More Info