| || || |
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
| || |
Starting and operating a business is a minefield of rules and regulations. The regulations set in the moment you decide to start your own business. You need to get licenses and permits from the authorities. There are restrictions on the type of business you can operate in a neighborhood. Tax and employee regulations are perhaps the most strictly enforced regulations. Non-compliance can even lead to cancellation of the business license and at times, imprisonment.
This course will guide you on the main requirements of the regulations so that a business can develop a strategy for compliance. This course will also provide guides on how to protect the intellectual property of the business , the types of insurance a business must generally have in place, and sources of funding.
Every business has its own assets. You must know how to protect the assets of your business, such as: registering the intellectual property right of the business with the appropriate authorities; insuring the business against losses; growing your business with funding. Find out what you need to know so that you can focus on making your business successful.
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Summarize registration of business name.
- Summarize business structures.
- Summarize sole proprietorship and partnerships.
- Define corporation.
- Define limited liability company.
- Describe licenses and permits.
- Summarize intellectual property.
- Summarize taxes.
- Describe hiring employees.
- Describe insurance requirements and types.
- Summarize finance options, including grants, loans, and venture capital, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1: Registration of Business NameStarting and operating a business involves many issues. The business owner must comply with many regulations: federal, state and local. Lack of compliance can result in penalties and sometimes even imprisonment.
Lesson 2: Business StructuresBusiness structure is the way a business is organized, owned, and managed. The laws governing the business and its operations will depend on its structure.
Lesson 3: Sole Proprietorship and PartnershipsEstablishing a sole proprietorship is cheap, relatively uncomplicated,and easy; and it does not require any legal paperwork to be filed with the state or federal government. Once declared open, the business is up and running.
Lesson 4: CorporationIncorporation means the forming of a new corporation. In the United States, it is often referred to by its abbreviation, "Inc." A corporation is a legal entity created through the laws of its state of incorporation.
Lesson 5: Limited Liability CompanyA limited liability company, commonly called an "LLC," is a legal form of business company offering limited liability to its owners.
Lesson 6: Licenses and PermitsOnce you have decided on starting your business, you will have to get the necessary permits and licenses from the relevant government authorities. The permits and licenses vary among jurisdictions.
Lesson 7: Intellectual PropertyIntellectual property means property of the mind or the intellect. Intellectual property is an important asset of your business. It is protected through law and can be owned, bequeathed, sold, or bought.
Lesson 8: TaxesAll businesses have to pay federal income tax. Some states also impose income tax on businesses.
Lesson 9: EmployeesEmployees are an important asset. Hiring and managing employees involves many legal issues. A business with employees must comply with certain federal and state laws.
Lesson 10: InsuranceAs in life, nothing is certain in a business. There are many risks, some foreseeable and some unforeesable. A business must insure itself against such risks.
Lesson 11: Finance --- Grants, Loans, Venture CapitalFinancing is very important for any business. No business can survive without financing. There are different ways in which a business can raise financing.
|Course Title ||: ||Small Business Guide |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||8900100 |
|Course Type ||: ||Professional Development |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $35.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
Other Related Classes in Business
- Accounting & Bookkeeping 101 for Everyone Accounting & Bookkeeping 101 for Everyone is a course that covers the fundamentals of accounting with the newcomer in mind. Accounting is more than just memorizing terms and procedures; it's a whole new way of thinking about finances. This course assu...
- Gregg Shorthand 101 Gregg Shorthand is the most widely used system of its kind in the world. It is used by millions of professionals from all walks of life in nearly every country worldwide. This system of shorthand is the most efficient of any other type created, it is con...
- Kinesics 101 - Learn to Read Body Language Reading Body Language, Using it to Your Advantage H aving the ability to read body language can go a long way in helping you throughout your life. You can learn to understand the cues, or signs, that people show when they tell a lie, or when they are ...
- Anger Management 101 If you have been at the mercy of the negative consequences that result from mishandled anger, Anger Management 101 will provide relief. This insightful course is filled with both practical wisdom and application that will end the anger trap for good. ...
- Business Writing Basics We live in world where communication is paramount to survival. In a work environment where communication is equated with the professionalism and efficiency of an individual, would you jeopardize your career because of bad writing? Do you want the embarra...
- Human Resources Management 101 Many professionals who enter into the world of human resources quickly believe that they will succeed in their new found field simply because they have a knack for relating with people from all walks of life. While having good people skills is certainly ...
- Speed Reading 101 Speed reading provides you with the tools and information you need to improve not only the speed that you read, but your comprehension and concentration as well. Speed reading will also provide you with effective tools that you can use when you're in a p...
- Payroll Management 101 There are many aspects that need to be covered when running a successful business. One of the most important aspects in any business is of course, payroll management. The members of the business involved in payroll management have unique responsibilities...
- Confidence Building 101 This course on building self-confidence reaches beyond the standard self-help program by addressing the core issues surrounding confidence problems and exploring how to reprogram our brain‘s negative self-talk. Based on the concept that we come int...
- Negotiation Skills In order to be effective at any business endeavor learning how to negotiate properly is not simply a nice skill to have, it has become an essential requirement in career advancement. This course will teach you what you need to know in order to become acc...
- How to Write a Grant Proposal Did you realize that you are most probably an experienced grant writer already? NO , you say, I've never written a grant in my life before -- but you have. Most people out there have asked somebody, at some time, for something in writing (one way ...
- Assertiveness Training 101 The ability to be assertive is difficult. Because most people do not want to be perceived as selfish, demanding, hostile, stubborn or just plain hard to get along with, they allow others to take advantage of them or they do more than is necessary or requ...
- Listening Skills 101 Did you know that there is a difference in hearing and listening? There is! Have you ever been told that you just don't listen? Most people have at some point in their life, so you probably have experienced it as well. But the problem is that good listen...
- Business Math 101 This course takes you through an overview of the wonderful world of business mathematics. The course is designed for a person of any age and anywhere in the world. All that is required of the learner are a computer, a connection to the internet, a c...
- Conflict Resolution 101 Conflict Resolution: In the Workplace and Beyond Did you know that a little conflict in your office today can shut down your entire operation tomorrow? That is no exaggeration! Workplace conflict costs. It starts by reducing productivity and employee h...
- Memory and Concentration Techniques Memory, concentration, focus, communication, problem solving and relationships all interconnect and interact to give us the information we need to function properly in the everyday world. T his course will focus on these topics and explore how memory wo...
- Mediation 101 The individual who pursues a career as a mediator can look forward to a job that is personally satisfying and financially rewarding. With its emphasis on fairness and cooperation, this career is an ideal choice for those who are empathetic and want to ...
- Resume Writing 101 One of the most important and intimidating steps in the job search process is writing a solid resume that gets the attention you want and need. Unfortunately, many job seekers get overwhelmed before they even get started. The result is poorly-written res...
- How to Improve Your Concentration Concentration is a part of our daily lives. We concentrate on our work and our life situations, either consciously or subconsciously. Is focus the same as concentration, and if not why are the terms often used so interchangeably? Why can some of us re...
- Employment Law Fundamentals 101 Learn the basics of Employment Law , the potential pitfalls, and ways to keep yourself out of court so that you can grow your business by hiring, evaluating, and managing employees. This course will discuss all the necessary information you need to kno...
- Persuasion 101: Learn How to Persuade Have you ever purchased something or agreed with someone and wondered later what made you give in so easily? Do you want to learn how to give a persuasive presentation by yourself? This course offers a blend of the science and the art of persuasion...
- Healthy Relationships 101 Whether you are in a new or long term romantic relationship, a busy student working with other colleagues, parents struggling to form a connection with your children, or a business person needing to form a relationship of trust with the employer--relatio...
- Managerial Accounting 101 Managerial accounting is not as widely used as other forms of accounting, nor is it as known. While companies concern themselves with financial accounting methods like audits, budgets and financial statements, they often completely ignore the forward-thi...
- Speed Writing 101 Speedwriting is for anyone out there who needs to write faster. You may be a student struggling frantically to make sense of the lectures that you attend, but your method of taking notes only seems to capture about one-third of the material that is prov...