Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this courseLoading...
Course DescriptionMost of us learned spelling and grammar in elementary school and brushed up on the rules occasionally in junior high or middle school. Once we entered high school, it was assumed we knew and remembered all of the essentials -- and slowly we discovered that although there were some rules we just had to look up, we simply stopped worrying about "the minor details."
It's time to relearn those "minor details" that can help you write, and read more effectively. But it's hard to fix something unless you know how it works.
This self-paced, stress-free course was developed not only for students wanting to improve their basic writing skills, but also for business writers, creative writers and office staff wanting to improve poor work related writing and avoid embarrassing their boss and themselves.Our innovative course is designed as a refresher course for those who need to brush up on their skills and a reference for anyone who wants to be able to look up the rules for confusing grammatical questions quickly and easily. After you've reviewed the basic rules of grammar and spelling, you can move on to the lessons on writing style for tips on improving your sentence and paragraph structure, how to polish your writing and how to avoid common errors.And because the course is online doesn't mean that you'll be left on your own. The instructor will be grading assignments and tests and is available through email to answer questions and provide guidance. Why not join us, learn at your own pace and your own schedule and reap the benefits?
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1. IntroductionThe introduction to this course will begin by first examining why proper grammar and spelling are important.
Lesson 2. The Basic Rules of SpellingThis lesson describes how to turn singular words to plural and the exceptions to the rule.
Lesson 3. Commonly Misspelled WordsThis is a list of some of the most common and frequently misspelled words.
Lesson 4. Plural Forms for Names, Compound Words, and NumbersThis lesson explains how to form plurals with some examples.
Lesson 5. Understanding "ie" Versus"ei" and Other Spelling DilemmasThis lesson presents the basic explanation of when to use "ie" and "ei".
Lesson 6. Prefix and Suffix RulesThis lesson explains the basics of adding prefixes and suffixes including some exceptions to the rule.
Lesson 7. Common Prefixes and SuffixesThis lesson gives a list of the most common add-ons to root words and their meanings.
Lesson 8. HomonymsThis lesson lists some of the most commonly used words that sound alike but have totally different meanings.
Lesson 9. Subject and PredicateThis lesson defines what a subject and predicate are and how they are used in sentences.
Lesson 10. Verb TensesThis lesson defines the different types of verb tenses from simple to future perfect progressive.
Lesson 11. Nouns and PronounsThis lesson defines what a noun and pronoun are, the different types of pronouns and pronoun cases. Also, the correct usage of who and whom.
Lesson 12. Adjectives and AdverbsThis lesson explains the definitions of adjectives and adverbs and the different degrees for modifying them.
Lesson 13. The PhraseThis lesson describes the use of prepositions in forming sentences.
Lesson 14. The ClauseThis lesson describes the difference between an independent clause and a subordinate clause and the proper usage of that and which.
Lesson 15. Periods and Other End StopsThis lesson describes when to use periods, exclamation marks, and question marks.
Lesson 16. CommasThis lesson explains when and where commas are used in sentences.
Lesson 17. ApostrophesThis lesson covers the basic rules when adding an apostrophe and some exceptions.
Lesson 18. Colons and SemicolonsThis lesson gives the basic rules for using colons and semicolons in a sentence.
Lesson 19. HyphensThis lesson describes when and how to use hyphens and when they are essential.
Lesson 20. Quotation MarksThis lesson explains how to use quotation marks properly in text.
Lesson 21. Refining Your SentencesThis lesson explains how to use phrases and compound sentences to make your writing interesting.
Lesson 22. Paragraph StructureThis lesson explains proper paragraph structure with topic and concluding sentences.
Lesson 23. Types of ParagraphsThis lesson explains the difference between narrative and descriptive and expository paragraphs.
Lesson 24. Writing DialogueThis lesson explains the importance of the structure and flow of dialogue.
Lesson 25. Proofreading and Revising Your WritingWe'll review proofreading and techniques for revising to better improve your writing.
Lesson 26. Additional Grammar and Writing ResourcesAdditional grammar and writing resources
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing StructuresCourse Number: 7550406Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: General EducationCEU Value: 2.9 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: writingbasics.onlineclasses.comInstructor: Daphnee St.ValSyllabus: View SyllabusCourse Review: Read Editorial ReviewRequirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $65.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $90.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Define the basic rules of spelling.
- Recognize commonly misspelled words.
- Demonstrate proper use of plural forms for names, compound words and numbers.
- Recognize 'ie' versus 'ei' and other spelling dilemmas.
- Define prefix and suffix rules.
- Identify common prefixes and suffixes.
- Define homonyms.
- Identify subject and predicate and demonstrate using them properly.
- Identify verb tenses and demonstrate using them properly.
- Identify nouns and pronouns and demonstrate using them properly.
- Identify adjectives and adverbs and demonstrate using them properly.
- Identify the phrase and clause and use them correctly.
- Identify and properly use periods, commas, apostrophes, colons, semicolons, hyphens, and quotation marks.
- Refine your sentence writing, identify types of paragraphs and form paragraphs correctly.
- Demonstrate correct writing of dialogue.
- Proofread and revise your writing, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Introduction Assignment Assignment 5 Exercise 1 Assignment 15 Spelling Assignment 10 Lesson 2 Exam Exam 10 Spelling 3-1 Exercise Exam 20 Spelling 3-2 Exercise Exam 15 Spelling 4-1 Exercise Exam 20 Spelling Test 2-1 Exam 15 Spelling Test 2-2 Exam 20 Spelling Test 2-3 Exam 15 Spelling Test 4-1 Exam 20 Spelling Test 4-2 Exam 20 Lesson 4 Exam Exam 7 Spelling 5-1 Exercise Exam 20 Spelling 5-2 Exercise Exam 9 Spelling Test 3-1 Exam 20 Spelling Test 3-2 Exam 15 Spelling Test 3-3 Exam 10 Spelling Test 5-1 Exam 20 Spelling Test 5-2 Exam 19 Spelling Test 8-3 Exam 9 Lesson 5 Exam Exam 8 Spelling 6-1 Exercise Exam 10 Spelling Test 4-3 Exam 20 Spelling Test 6-1 Exam 20 Spelling Test 6-2 Exam 20 Lesson 6 Exam Exam 12 Spelling 6-2 Exercise Exam 20 Spelling 7-1 Exercise Exam 20 Spelling Test 8-1 Exam 20 Spelling Test 8-2 Exam 10 Homonyms Exam Exam 17 Lesson 8 Exam Exam 10 Spelling Test 9 - Subject-Verb Agreement Exam 10 Lesson 9 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 10.1 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 10.2 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 10 Exam Exam 6 Lesson 11 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 11 Exam Exam 11 Lesson 12 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 12 Exam Exam 12 Lesson 13 Exam Exam 14 Lesson 14 Exam Exam 11 Lesson 15 Assignment Assignment 20 Lesson 15 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 16 Exam Exam 19 Lesson 17 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 17 Exam Exam 12 Lesson 18 Exam Exam 8 Lesson 19 Exam Exam 9 Lesson 20 Exam Exam 8 Lesson 21 Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 21.2 Assignment Assignment 20 Lesson 21.3 Assignment Assignment 20 Lesson 22.1 Assignment - Paragraph Writing Assignment 20 Lesson 22.2 Assignment - Paragraph Writing Assignment 20 Lesson 23 Assignment - Narrative Paragraph Assignment 20 Lesson 23.2 Assignment - Descriptive Paragraph Assignment 20 Lesson 23.3 Assignment Assignment 20 Lesson 24 Assignment - Dialogue Writing Assignment 20 Lesson 24.2 Assignment - Dialogue Writing Assignment 20 Lesson 25 Assignment Assignment 10 Final Assignment - Three Paragraph Essay Assignment 25 The Final Exam Exam 74 Total Points: 1010
- Barron's GED with CD-ROM (Barron's Ged (Book & CD-Rom))
- Better Grammar in 30 Minutes a Day (Better English Series)
- Better Sentence-Writing in 30 Minutes a Day (Better English Series)
- The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation: An Easy-to-Use Guide with Clear Rules, Real-World Examples, and Reproducible Quizzes
- Understanding and Using English Grammar
- "The instructor was great. She was both knowledgeable and prompt with responses and clear with explanations." -- Jason H.
- "The actual writing assignments were the most helpful." -- Tammy A.
- "Very helpful." -- Renata B.
- "I appreciated the breakdown of the rules of grammar. The instructor was wonderful. Emails were answered within a very reasonable time. She answered questions even faster. I would love to take another course from her again." -- Lisa F.
- "I really feel like I walked away from this class knowing a lot more and I may decide to retake it in 3-6 months. I have made up hundreds of flash cards that I plan to become very familiar with each of the terms. I was very excited when I finally grasped the whole affect/effect process and I know it will be just as rewarding when I get the others down as well. I bookmarked many of the test pages or links that were made available and I plan to use them often as well, to continue to learn. It was very easy to become familiar with the rules of grammar again and the lessons were very easy comprehend. I was very grateful to be given a second chance to improve my test scores if I scored lower than a 70%." -- Caryn R.
- "It is a joy studying under this instructor! Working on the assignments. Applying the principles that I have learned. More important, assignments are corrected. This is more valuable than studying all the books by myself! Best of all, I have very competent, readily-available instructor! A million thanks to you. " -- Joe O.
- "I found the course helpful. I have been out of school for over 40 years and there were rules and such that I had forgotten. Working at my own speed was very good for me." -- JoAnne G.
- View More Testimonials...