with CEU Certificate
It's time to relearn those "minor details" that can help you write, and read more effectively. But it's hard to fix something unless you know how it works. This self-paced, stress-free course was developed not only for students wanting to improve their basic writing skills, but also for business writers, creative writers and office staff wanting to improve poor work related writing and avoid embarrassing their boss and themselves.
This self-paced, stress-free course was developed not only for students wanting to improve their basic writing skills, but also for business writers, creative writers and office staff wanting to improve poor work related writing and avoid embarrassing their boss and themselves.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1. IntroductionThe introduction to this course will begin by first examining why proper grammar and spelling are important.
Lesson 2. The Basic Rules of SpellingThis lesson describes how to turn singular words to plural and the exceptions to the rule.
Lesson 3. Commonly Misspelled WordsThis is a list of some of the most common and frequently misspelled words.
Lesson 4. Plural Forms for Names, Compound Words, and NumbersThis lesson explains how to form plurals with some examples.
Lesson 5. Understanding "ie" Versus"ei" and Other Spelling DilemmasThis lesson presents the basic explanation of when to use "ie" and "ei".
Lesson 6. Prefix and Suffix RulesThis lesson explains the basics of adding prefixes and suffixes including some exceptions to the rule.
Lesson 7. Common Prefixes and SuffixesThis lesson gives a list of the most common add-ons to root words and their meanings.
Lesson 8. HomonymsThis lesson lists some of the most commonly used words that sound alike but have totally different meanings.
Lesson 9. Subject and PredicateThis lesson defines what a subject and predicate are and how they are used in sentences.
Lesson 10. Verb TensesThis lesson defines the different types of verb tenses from simple to future perfect progressive.
Lesson 11. Nouns and PronounsThis lesson defines what a noun and pronoun are, the different types of pronouns and pronoun cases. Also, the correct usage of who and whom.
Lesson 12. Adjectives and AdverbsThis lesson explains the definitions of adjectives and adverbs and the different degrees for modifying them.
Lesson 13. The PhraseThis lesson describes the use of prepositions in forming sentences.
Lesson 14. The ClauseThis lesson describes the difference between an independent clause and a subordinate clause and the proper usage of that and which.
Lesson 15. Periods and Other End StopsThis lesson describes when to use periods, exclamation marks, and question marks.
Lesson 16. CommasThis lesson explains when and where commas are used in sentences.
Lesson 17. ApostrophesThis lesson covers the basic rules when adding an apostrophe and some exceptions.
Lesson 18. Colons and SemicolonsThis lesson gives the basic rules for using colons and semicolons in a sentence.
Lesson 19. HyphensThis lesson describes when and how to use hyphens and when they are essential.
Lesson 20. Quotation MarksThis lesson explains how to use quotation marks properly in text.
Lesson 21. Refining Your SentencesThis lesson explains how to use phrases and compound sentences to make your writing interesting.
Lesson 22. Paragraph StructureThis lesson explains proper paragraph structure with topic and concluding sentences.
Lesson 23. Types of ParagraphsThis lesson explains the difference between narrative and descriptive and expository paragraphs.
Lesson 24. Writing DialogueThis lesson explains the importance of the structure and flow of dialogue.
Lesson 25. Proofreading and Revising Your WritingWe'll review proofreading and techniques for revising to better improve your writing.
Lesson 26. Additional Grammar and Writing ResourcesAdditional grammar and writing resources
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Define the basic rules of spelling.
- Recognize commonly misspelled words.
- Demonstrate proper use of plural forms for names, compound words and numbers.
- Recognize 'ie' versus 'ei' and other spelling dilemmas.
- Define prefix and suffix rules.
- Identify common prefixes and suffixes.
- Define homonyms.
- Identify subject and predicate and demonstrate using them properly.
- Identify verb tenses and demonstrate using them properly.
- Identify nouns and pronouns and demonstrate using them properly.
- Identify adjectives and adverbs and demonstrate using them properly.
- Identify the phrase and clause and use them correctly.
- Identify and properly use periods, commas, apostrophes, colons, semicolons, hyphens, and quotation marks.
- Refine your sentence writing, identify types of paragraphs and form paragraphs correctly.
- Demonstrate correct writing of dialogue.
- Proofread and revise your writing, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 2 Exam||Exam||10|
|Spelling 3-1 Exercise||Exam||20|
|Spelling 3-2 Exercise||Exam||15|
|Spelling 4-1 Exercise||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test 2-1||Exam||15|
|Spelling Test 2-2||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test 2-3||Exam||15|
|Spelling Test 4-1||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test 4-2||Exam||20|
|Lesson 4 Exam||Exam||7|
|Spelling 5-1 Exercise||Exam||20|
|Spelling 5-2 Exercise||Exam||9|
|Spelling Test 3-1||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test 3-2||Exam||15|
|Spelling Test 3-3||Exam||10|
|Spelling Test 5-1||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test 5-2||Exam||19|
|Spelling Test 8-3||Exam||9|
|Lesson 5 Exam||Exam||8|
|Spelling 6-1 Exercise||Exam||10|
|Spelling Test 4-3||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test 6-1||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test 6-2||Exam||20|
|Lesson 6 Exam||Exam||12|
|Spelling 6-2 Exercise||Exam||20|
|Spelling 7-1 Exercise||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test 8-1||Exam||20|
|Spelling Test 8-2||Exam||10|
|Lesson 8 Exam||Exam||10|
|Spelling Test 9 - Subject-Verb Agreement||Exam||10|
|Lesson 9 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 10.1 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 10.2 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 10 Exam||Exam||6|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 11 Exam||Exam||11|
|Lesson 12 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 12 Exam||Exam||12|
|Lesson 13 Exam||Exam||14|
|Lesson 14 Exam||Exam||11|
|Lesson 15 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 15 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 16 Exam||Exam||19|
|Lesson 17 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 17 Exam||Exam||12|
|Lesson 18 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 19 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 20 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 21 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 21.2 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 21.3 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 22.1 Assignment - Paragraph Writing||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 22.2 Assignment - Paragraph Writing||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 23 Assignment - Narrative Paragraph||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 23.2 Assignment - Descriptive Paragraph||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 23.3 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 24 Assignment - Dialogue Writing||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 24.2 Assignment - Dialogue Writing||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 25 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Final Assignment - Three Paragraph Essay||Assignment||25|
|The Final Exam||Exam||74|
- Barron's GED with CD-ROM (Barron's Ged (Book & CD-Rom))
- Better Grammar in 30 Minutes a Day (Better English Series)
- Better Sentence-Writing in 30 Minutes a Day (Better English Series)
- The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation: An Easy-to-Use Guide with Clear Rules, Real-World Examples, and Reproducible Quizzes
- Understanding and Using English Grammar
- Business Writing Basics$75.001.9 CEUs
- ESL Grammar Skills Level 1$55.001.0 CEUs
- Creative Writing for Beginners$65.001.0 CEUs
- Writing Women's Fiction 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- ABCs of English Grammar$65.001.5 CEUs
- Proofreading and Copyediting 101$75.001.2 CEUs
- ESL Basic Grammar and Writing$90.002.0 CEUs
- Resume Writing 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Historical Fiction Writing 101$65.002.3 CEUs
- Paranormal Romance Writing 101$60.001.0 CEUs
- Reading Comprehension 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Writing Effective Persuasion 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Speed Writing 101$60.001.0 CEUs
- Basic English Speaking Skills$65.001.0 CEUs
- Novel Writing 101$65.002.2 CEUs
- Writing Improvement 101$90.001.3 CEUs
- Poetry Writing 101$60.001.7 CEUs
- Essay Writing 101$65.001.1 CEUs
- Creative Writing Workshop$65.001.3 CEUs
- Basic Research Skills$55.001.0 CEUs
- ABCs of Technical Writing$65.001.1 CEUs
- How to Write a Grant Proposal$75.001.5 CEUs
- Creative Writing 101$65.001.9 CEUs
- Advertising, Marketing and Sales Writing$70.001.2 CEUs
- Freelance Writing 101$65.001.2 CEUs
- Mystery Writing 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Romance Writing 101$70.001.2 CEUs
- Nonfiction Writing 101$65.001.2 CEUs
- Travel Writing 101$70.001.0 CEUs
- Humor Writing 101$60.001.1 CEUs
- Enhance Your Everyday Vocabulary$60.001.6 CEUs