Proofreading and Copyediting 101
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this course
Course DescriptionBecome a Skilled Proofreader or CopyeditorIf you're looking for a new career path or if you're a writer who wants to improve your writing skills, learning how to proofread and copyedit with our easy to follow, in-depth course, may be just what you need. Learning these specialized skills will help improve your overall writing ability and may provide a career path that is both lucrative and in high demand. In today's world, proofreaders and copyeditors are sought after not only in the corporate environment and Internet-related ventures, but also by start-up companies, small businesses, and entrepreneurs. Freelance proofreading jobs are bountiful, and many companies offer work-from-home opportunities as an additional benefit.This online course will cover:
- Exactly what proofreading and copyediting will entail.
- The tools you need to be an efficient proofreader or copyeditor.
- The basic skills you need to learn, taught to you in an easy-to-understand manner.
- Step-by-step instruction on how to proofread or copyedit.
- How to apply your newly learned skills.
- Tips to make you a professional proofreader or copyeditor with just a little practice.
- How to proofread and copyedit different kinds of writing such as fiction, blogs and articles.
- How to proofread and copyedit your own work.
- How to secure employment as a proofreader or copyeditor.
- How to start your own proofreading or copyediting business upon completion of the course.
- Current salary information.
- Practice exercises to implement your new skills.
This course is designed for everyone, regardless of education, experience, or background. No matter who you are or what you want to achieve in life, gaining proofreading and copyediting skills will improve your written communications, help you think more clearly, and perhaps start you on the road to a brand new career.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Feedback
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1. Introduction to Proofreading and CopyeditingThis lesson describes how you can use proofreading and copyediting skills in your career.
Lesson 2. The Use of Style Sheets and Style Guides in Proofreading and CopyeditingThis lesson defines style guides and sheets and demonstrates their importance in copyediting and proofreading.
Lesson 3. Finding the Appropriate Style GuidesThis lesson explains different style guides available and their importance in relation to the content you are proofreading.
Lesson 4. How to Create and Use a Style SheetThis lesson describes how to create and use a style sheet as a copyeditor or proofreader.
Lesson 5. Proofreaders' Marks and How They Are Used to Copyedit and ProofreadThis lesson describes what proofreaders' marks are and how to use them to copyedit or proofread bodies of work.
Lesson 6. Your Job as a ProofreaderThis lesson outlines the tasks performed by a proofreader.
Lesson 7. How to ProofreadLearn how to be an efficient and capable proofreader.
Lesson 8. Proofreading PracticeThis lesson contains proofreading practice exercises and assignments.
Lesson 9. The Job of a CopyeditorThis lesson defines the individual tasks that a copyeditor completes when editing a body of work.
Lesson 10. How to CopyeditLearn how to copyedit different types of content (copy). Additional tips on being an effective copyeditor.
Lesson 11. Copyediting PracticePractice being a copyeditor with these lesson assignments and exercises.
Lesson 12. How to Copyedit or Proofread Your Own WorkLearn how to successfully copyedit and proofread your own work.
Lesson 13. Copyediting or Proofreading as a CareerKnow the skills and education required to work as a proofreader or copyeditor within a company or as a freelancer.
Lesson 14. Final ExamFinal Exam
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Proofreading and Copyediting 101Course Number: 8900117Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: How ToCEU Value: 1.2 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsInstructor: Daphnee St.ValSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $50.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $75.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the use of style sheets and style guides in proofreading and copyediting.
- Demonstrate matching the appropriate style guides for various project types.
- Demonstrate how to create and use a style sheet.
- Describe proofreaders' marks and how they are used to copyedit and proofread.
- Describe your job as a proofreader.
- Demonstrate basic proofreading skills.
- Describe the job of a copyeditor.
- Demonstrate basic copyediting skills.
- Describe methods for copyediting and proofreading your own work.
- Summarize copyediting or proofreading career opportunities, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
An Introduction Assignment 5 Assignment 1: Proofreading and Copyediting Assignment 20 Lesson 1 Exam Exam 9 Assignment 2: Style Sheets and Style Guides Assignment 40 Lesson 2 Exam Exam 10 Assignment 3: Print and Online Style Guides Assignment 30 Lesson 3 Exam Exam 10 Assignment 4: Creating Style Sheets Assignment 45 Lesson 4 Exam Exam 10 Assignment 5: Proofreaders' Marks Assignment 40 Lesson 5 Exam Exam 9 Assignment 6: Proofreader's Responsibilities Assignment 30 Lesson 6 Exam Exam 10 Assignment 7: Proofreading Tips Assignment 40 Lesson 7 Exam Exam 10 Assignment 8: Proofreading Practice Assignment 45 Lesson 8 Exam Exam 10 Assignment 9: Copyeditor Job Types Assignment 40 Lesson 9 Exam Exam 10 Assignment 10: Copyediting Newspapers and Magazines Assignment 30 Lesson 10 Exam Exam 10 Assignment 11: Copyediting Practice Assignment 40 Lesson 11 Exam Exam 7 Assignment 12: Copyediting Your Own Work Assignment 40 Lesson 12 Exam Exam 10 Assignment 13: Education and Skills of Proofreader/Copyeditor Assignment 40 Final Assignment Assignment 10 Lesson 13 Exam Exam 10 Final Exam Exam 48 Total Points: 668
Choose Your Subscription PlanCourse OnlyOne Course
No Certificate / No CEUs$50for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate X Includes CEUs X Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 courseCertificate CourseOne Course
Certificate & CEUs$75for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 coursePlatinum YearlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$189per yearYou save 50%!Billed once
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 12 Months No. of courses 500+Platinum MonthlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$59 first month$29.00 / month thereafterBilled monthly
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete Monthly No. of courses 500+
- "I found the practice exercies to be most helpful....I learned a lot from this course. It was great." -- Stephanie C.
- "This course got me on my way to a proofreading and editing career." -- Suzanne N.
- "Thank you. This class helped me to start working towards a copyediting career. :0)" -- Laurie W.
- "What was most helpful was finding out what I need to know to pursue this work. I also liked the simplifed, organized presentation(s) on what skills need to be acquired; the netlinks; and the practice in proofreading/copyediting." -- Patricia S.
- "I found all parts of this helpful since I am a beginner in proofreading." -- Yolanda A.
- "The proofreading practice using marks was the most useful in preparing me for a job." -- Gillian P.
- "I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge and experience. The course enabled me, at 68, to prove that it's never too late to learn - and to get 97%!" -- Jill B.
- View More Testimonials...