with CEU Certificate
- Exactly what proofreading and copyediting will entail.
- The tools you need to be an efficient proofreader or copyeditor.
- The basic skills you need to learn, taught to you in an easy-to-understand manner.
- Step-by-step instruction on how to proofread or copyedit.
- How to apply your newly learned skills.
- Tips to make you a professional proofreader or copyeditor with just a little practice.
- How to proofread and copyedit different kinds of writing such as fiction, blogs and articles.
- How to proofread and copyedit your own work.
- How to secure employment as a proofreader or copyeditor.
- How to start your own proofreading or copyediting business upon completion of the course.
- Current salary information.
- Practice exercises to implement your new skills.
This course is designed for everyone, regardless of education, experience, or background. No matter who you are or what you want to achieve in life, gaining proofreading and copyediting skills will improve your written communications, help you think more clearly, and perhaps start you on the road to a brand new career.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1. Introduction to Proofreading and CopyeditingThis lesson describes how you can use proofreading and copyediting skills in your career.
Lesson 2. The Use of Style Sheets and Style Guides in Proofreading and CopyeditingThis lesson defines style guides and sheets and demonstrates their importance in copyediting and proofreading.
Lesson 3. Finding the Appropriate Style GuidesThis lesson explains different style guides available and their importance in relation to the content you are proofreading.
Lesson 4. How to Create and Use a Style SheetThis lesson describes how to create and use a style sheet as a copyeditor or proofreader.
Lesson 5. Proofreaders' Marks and How They Are Used to Copyedit and ProofreadThis lesson describes what proofreaders' marks are and how to use them to copyedit or proofread bodies of work.
Lesson 6. Your Job as a ProofreaderThis lesson outlines the tasks performed by a proofreader.
Lesson 7. How to ProofreadLearn how to be an efficient and capable proofreader.
Lesson 8. Proofreading PracticeThis lesson contains proofreading practice exercises and assignments.
Lesson 9. The Job of a CopyeditorThis lesson defines the individual tasks that a copyeditor completes when editing a body of work.
Lesson 10. How to CopyeditLearn how to copyedit different types of content (copy). Additional tips on being an effective copyeditor.
Lesson 11. Copyediting PracticePractice being a copyeditor with these lesson assignments and exercises.
Lesson 12. How to Copyedit or Proofread Your Own WorkLearn how to successfully copyedit and proofread your own work.
Lesson 13. Copyediting or Proofreading as a CareerKnow the skills and education required to work as a proofreader or copyeditor within a company or as a freelancer.
Lesson 14. Final ExamFinal Exam
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the use of style sheets and style guides in proofreading and copyediting.
- Demonstrate matching the appropriate style guides for various project types.
- Demonstrate how to create and use a style sheet.
- Describe proofreaders' marks and how they are used to copyedit and proofread.
- Describe your job as a proofreader.
- Demonstrate basic proofreading skills.
- Describe the job of a copyeditor.
- Demonstrate basic copyediting skills.
- Describe methods for copyediting and proofreading your own work.
- Summarize copyediting or proofreading career opportunities, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Assignment 1: Proofreading and Copyediting||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 1 Exam||Exam||9|
|Assignment 2: Style Sheets and Style Guides||Assignment||40|
|Lesson 2 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 3: Print and Online Style Guides||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 3 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 4: Creating Style Sheets||Assignment||45|
|Lesson 4 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 5: Proofreaders' Marks||Assignment||40|
|Lesson 5 Exam||Exam||9|
|Assignment 6: Proofreader's Responsibilities||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 6 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 7: Proofreading Tips||Assignment||40|
|Lesson 7 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 8: Proofreading Practice||Assignment||45|
|Lesson 8 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 9: Copyeditor Job Types||Assignment||40|
|Lesson 9 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 10: Copyediting Newspapers and Magazines||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 10 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 11: Copyediting Practice||Assignment||40|
|Lesson 11 Exam||Exam||7|
|Assignment 12: Copyediting Your Own Work||Assignment||40|
|Lesson 12 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 13: Education and Skills of Proofreader/Copyeditor||Assignment||40|
|Lesson 13 Exam||Exam||10|
- ESL Grammar Skills Level 1$55.001.0 CEUs
- Running Effective Meetings$50.000.7 CEUs
- Microsoft Project 2013$60.001.0 CEUs
- Microsoft Visio 2013$65.001.0 CEUs
- ABCs of English Grammar$65.001.5 CEUs
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures$90.002.9 CEUs
- ESL Basic Grammar and Writing$90.002.0 CEUs
- Historical Fiction Writing 101$65.002.3 CEUs
- Paranormal Romance Writing 101$60.001.0 CEUs
- Basic English Speaking Skills$65.001.0 CEUs
- Novel Writing 101$65.002.2 CEUs
- Writing Improvement 101$90.001.3 CEUs
- Poetry Writing 101$60.001.7 CEUs
- Essay Writing 101$65.001.1 CEUs
- Basic Research Skills$55.001.0 CEUs
- Memory and Concentration Techniques$80.002.0 CEUs
- Journaling and Memoir Writing 101$65.001.1 CEUs
- Understanding Business Administration 101$70.001.1 CEUs
- ABCs of Technical Writing$65.001.1 CEUs
- Team Management 101$60.001.0 CEUs
- Advertising, Marketing and Sales Writing$70.001.2 CEUs
- Freelance Writing 101$65.001.2 CEUs
- Mystery Writing 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Romance Writing 101$70.001.2 CEUs
- Nonfiction Writing 101$65.001.2 CEUs
- Travel Writing 101$70.001.0 CEUs
- Spelling 101$55.001.5 CEUs
- Punctuation and Grammar 101$70.001.2 CEUs
- Speed Reading 101$60.000.9 CEUs
- ESL Basic Grammar$65.001.0 CEUs