Online Class: Proofreading and Copyediting 101
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this course
- Exactly what proofreading and copyediting will entail.
- The tools you need to be an efficient proofreader or copyeditor.
- The basic skills you need to learn, taught to you in an easy-to-understand manner.
- Step-by-step instruction on how to proofread or copyedit.
- How to apply your newly learned skills.
- Tips to make you a professional proofreader or copyeditor with just a little practice.
- How to proofread and copyedit different kinds of writing such as fiction, blogs and articles.
- How to proofread and copyedit your own work.
- How to secure employment as a proofreader or copyeditor.
- How to start your own proofreading or copyediting business upon completion of the course.
- Current salary information.
- Practice exercises to implement your new skills.
How much can I earn as an online proofreader?
Do I need a college degree to pursue a career in proofreading?
Who should take this proofreading course?
What are the benefits of taking this course?
Think about it for a minute. Copyediting and proofreading are two skills you cannot afford to be without because they will help to increase your communication skills so that you can get what you want out of your words and your life.
Here are some ways you can utilize proofreading and copyediting skills in your career and life:
- In e-mails. If you've ever sent out an e-mail that is work-related (most of us have), then you know how important it is that those e-mails sound professional at all times. Professionalism is more than in the wording, however. It extends to grammar and punctuation. Being able to proofread or copyedit important e-mails will improve your image to customers, coworkers, and most importantly, bosses who may be considering you for the next big promotion.
- Web pages and other Internet documents. Have you ever visited a site that was worded very poorly or filled with typos? Before you blame it on the laziness of the author, think again. Proofreading and editing your own work can be the most challenging task to do if you don't know how to do it properly. The truth is that when we write something, it's in our heads just as much as it's on paper. It's easy to read something as you see it in your mind and not on the screen in front of you.
- At work. If you've ever been asked to write a report, create a newsletter, memo, or any other form of communication in the workplace, learning how to proofread and edit your own work will make whatever you write more professional and earn you even more respect. It's just like with e-mails.
- Correspondence. Do you write a lot of letters? Whether they are personal or professional, the last thing you want is to have unclear thoughts or misspelled words. Learning how to proofread and copyedit your letters will help you present your thoughts more clearly and eliminate misconceptions.
- For creative writing endeavors. Maybe you want to be a writer and publish creative works. Let me tell you something, "Don't fool yourself into believing that if you have a great story or novel, the editor won't care if it needs a lot of cleaning up." It's just like getting dressed in the morning. If your outfit doesn't match, you don't look good. If a great story is mismatched with unclear thoughts and other errors, the story itself does not look good. That's the bottom line. You need to sharpen your proofreading and copyediting skills before you even think of trying to publish a body of work.
- For a new career or career advancement. If you want to be a professional proofreader or copyeditor, you need to learn how to do the job correctly. This course will provide you with enough instruction to start your career and give you the skills you need to adequately proofread or copyedit any body of work. The more you apply these skills, the better you're going to be.
Proofreading and Copyediting Defined
Now that we've established how many ways that proofreading and editing skills can be applied to your everyday life, let's define what they actually are.
The biggest misconception that most people have is in believing that proofreading and copyediting are basically the same thing. While they are similar in nature, they are not the same by any means. There is a big difference between the tasks of a proofreader as compared to the tasks of a copyeditor. It's why, if you go through job listings, you will see some positions open for copyeditors and some for proofreaders, but never just one single position for a "proofreader and copyeditor."
Proofreading is done after a body of work is completed, but before it goes to press or is distributed. To put it simply, it's the last step taken in the completion of the work. A proofreader's job is to scan text for grammar, syntax, and punctuation errors. The meanings of words and terminology are not important to proofreaders. Their job focuses on the accurateness of the text and the layout in a body of work that is otherwise finished and ready to be published or distributed.
Copyeditors do fact checking and they question terms that raise doubts or that aren't familiar to them. Although copyeditors don't always implement the changes, they always note the changes for the author to make. They also look for consistency in a body of work. If a maid is referred to as a maid in one chapter, the copyeditor makes sure that the author does not switch to servant when making references to the same person in subsequent chapters.
We will delve into the details of copyediting and proofreading later in this course, but for now you need to know that a copyeditor's task is in the individual details. A proofreader's task, on the other hand, is in the final and overall presentation of the body of work.
- Completely Online
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
- Accredited CEUs
Lesson 1. Introduction to Proofreading and Copyediting
- Lesson 1 Video
- Lesson discussions: Course Background Information Survey; Reasons for Taking this Course
- Complete Assignment: An Introduction
- Complete: Assignment 1: Proofreading and Copyediting
- Assessment: Lesson 1 Exam
Lesson 2. The Use of Style Sheets and Style Guides in Proofreading and Copyediting
- Lesson 2 Video
- Lesson discussions: Style Sheets and Style Guides
- Complete: Assignment 2: Style Sheets and Style Guides
- Assessment: Lesson 2 Exam
Lesson 3. Finding the Appropriate Style Guides
- Lesson 3 Video
- Complete: Assignment 3: Print and Online Style Guides
- Assessment: Lesson 3 Exam
Lesson 4. How to Create and Use a Style Sheet
- Lesson 4 Video
- Complete: Assignment 4: Creating Style Sheets
- Assessment: Lesson 4 Exam
Lesson 5. Proofreaders' Marks and How They Are Used to Copyedit and Proofread
- Lesson 5 Video
- Lesson discussions: Proofreaders' Marks
- Complete: Assignment 5: Proofreaders' Marks
- Assessment: Lesson 5 Exam
Lesson 6. Your Job as a Proofreader
- Lesson 6 Video
- Complete: Assignment 6: Proofreader's Responsibilities
- Assessment: Lesson 6 Exam
Lesson 7. How to Proofread
- Lesson 7 Video
- Review 5 Practice Worksheets
- Complete: Assignment 7: Proofreading Tips
- Assessment: Lesson 7 Exam
Lesson 8. Proofreading Practice
- Lesson 8 Video
- Review 4 Practice Worksheets
- Complete: Assignment 8: Proofreading Practice
- Assessment: Lesson 8 Exam
Lesson 9. The Job of a Copyeditor
- Lesson 9 Video
- Complete: Assignment 9: Copyeditor Job Types
- Assessment: Lesson 9 Exam
Lesson 10. How to Copyedit
- Lesson 10 Video
- Complete: Assignment 10: Copyediting Newspapers and Magazines
- Assessment: Lesson 10 Exam
Lesson 11. Copyediting Practice
- Lesson 11 Video
- Complete: Assignment 11: Copyediting Practice
- Assessment: Lesson 11 Exam
Lesson 12. How to Copyedit or Proofread Your Own Work
- Lesson 12 Video
- Lesson discussions: Proofreading/Copyediting Your Own Work
- Complete: Assignment 12: Copyediting Your Own Work
- Assessment: Lesson 12 Exam
Lesson 13. Copyediting or Proofreading as a Career
- Lesson 13 Video
- Complete: Assignment 13: Education and Skills of Proofreader/Copyeditor
- Complete: Final Assignment
- Assessment: Lesson 13 Exam
Lesson 14. Final Exam
- Lesson discussions: Your Opinion Matters: Course Rating; Course Comments; Program Evaluation Follow-up Survey (End of Course)
- Assessment: Final Exam
- Understand the use of style sheets and style guides in proofreading and copyediting.
- Demonstrate matching the appropriate style guides for various project types.
- Demonstrate how to create and use a style sheet.
- Describe proofreaders' marks and how they are used to copyedit and proofread.
- Describe your job as a proofreader.
- Demonstrate basic proofreading skills.
- Describe the job of a copyeditor.
- Demonstrate basic copyediting skills.
- Describe methods for copyediting and proofreading your own work.
- Summarize copyediting or proofreading career opportunities.
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Choose Your Subscription Plan
No Certificate / No CEUs
This course only
|Time to complete||6 months|
|No. of courses||1 course|
Certificate & CEUs
This course only
|Time to complete||6 months|
|No. of courses||1 course|
Certificates & CEUs
Includes all 600+ courses
|Time to complete||12 Months|
|No. of courses||600+|
Certificates & CEUs
Includes all 600+ courses
|Time to complete||24 Months|
|No. of courses||600+|
- "I thought it was an excellent course. Your feedback was constructive and timely. Thank you very much." -- Charles M.
- "This course was a great experience, the first online I have taken. I found the lessons, support, and ease of navigation on the site very approachable, comprehensive and well explained. The instructor was readily available, extremely prompt in grading, and quick to answer questions and recommendations. I would highly recommend him and hope I have the pleasure of his guidance in the next course. In addition, the reasonable price makes it very affordable." -- Sulane B.
- "This proofreading/copyediting course was great! The lessons provided made me think about the job I would be doing when I eventually am hired! Knowing the more I practice, the better I will get, and the more hireable I become makes me want to do the practice lessons repeatedly." -- Amanda D.
- "It was a very helpful course. I have already begun incorporating what I have learned in my daily writing assignments. Thank you for your comments on my work. They kept me focused." -- Denise S.
- "This course was excellent and answered all the questions I had regarding proofreading and copyediting." -- Diane H.
- "I found this course to be extremely informative. It provided valuable tools needed to perform the task." -- Stephanie H.
- "Great lessons! Reinforced previous knowledge and help discover tips and tools to continue building on." -- Faylee F.
- "First off, I want to say thank you to Universal Class for providing such great instruction in Proofreading and Copyediting, and at a very affordable price. From the overall ease of the signing up for the course, to the navigation of the site, I found it to be a great experience. I learned so much about how to be a better writer, as well as areas that needed improvement with supporting materials to have as a reference later on. I would highly recommend Universal Class to others, and I plan to return for additional courses as a way to improve my skills both personally and professionally. My last comment is about Daphnee St. Val, a wonderful instructor that provided helpful feedback and tips on how to move forward. She made recommendations on materials to support my efforts to become a better writer as well. I give Daphnee a 10+!" -- Elena O.
- "I'm very satisfied with the knowledge acquired through this course. The step by step lesson flow made it easier to understand the requirements of both proofreading and copyediting." -- James O.
- "I really enjoyed this course. It was just the right amount of information in easy to digest bites. I would definitely recommend to anyone interested in the topic." -- Amber L.
- 52 hours 5.2 CEUs ESL Grammar Skills: Level 1-5 Course Bundle $175.00
- 36 hours 3.6 CEUs Ultimate Secretary Training Bundle $150.00
- 87 hours 8.7 CEUs Writing Help Course Bundle $135.00
- 17 hours 1.7 CEUs ESL Basic Grammar and Writing $95.00
- 12 hours 1.2 CEUs Romance Writing $95.00
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Spelling 101 $95.00
- 9 hours 0.9 CEUs ABCs of Technical Writing $95.00
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Basic Research Skills $95.00
- 11 hours 1.1 CEUs Professional Organizer Training $95.00
- 9 hours 0.9 CEUs Nonfiction Writing 101 $95.00
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Running Effective Meetings $95.00
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Goal Setting for Business $95.00
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Teaching Grammar to ESL Students $95.00
- 12 hours 1.2 CEUs Advertising, Marketing and Sales Writing $95.00
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Operations Management 101 $95.00
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Speed Reading 101 $95.00
- 22 hours 2.2 CEUs Novel Writing 101 $95.00
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Emotional Intelligence $95.00
- 11 hours 1.1 CEUs Punctuation and Grammar 101 $80.00
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Freelance Writing 101 $95.00
- 11 hours 1.1 CEUs Essay Writing 101 $95.00
- 9 hours 0.9 CEUs Mystery Writing $95.00
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Understanding Learning Styles $95.00
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Basic English Speaking Skills $95.00
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Innovative Thinking $95.00
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs ESL Basic Grammar $95.00
- 12 hours 1.2 CEUs Paranormal Romance Writing $95.00
- 14 hours 1.4 CEUs Creative Writing for Beginners $95.00
- 14 hours 1.4 CEUs Writing Improvement 101 $95.00
- 15 hours 1.5 CEUs ABCs of English Grammar $75.00
- 11 hours 1.1 CEUs Journaling and Memoir Writing $95.00
- 12 hours 1.2 CEUs ESL Grammar Skills Level 1 $95.00
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Strategic Planning $95.00
- 17 hours 1.7 CEUs Poetry Writing 101 $95.00
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs General Receptionist $95.00
- 11 hours 1.1 CEUs English Composition 101 $95.00
- 4 hours 0.4 CEUs Purchasing and Vendor Management 101 $95.00
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Business Branding 101 $95.00