Proofreading and Copyediting 101
with CEU Certificate*
0Studentshave taken this course
- Exactly what proofreading and copyediting will entail.
- The tools you need to be an efficient proofreader or copyeditor.
- The basic skills you need to learn, taught to you in an easy-to-understand manner.
- Step-by-step instruction on how to proofread or copyedit.
- How to apply your newly learned skills.
- Tips to make you a professional proofreader or copyeditor with just a little practice.
- How to proofread and copyedit different kinds of writing such as fiction, blogs and articles.
- How to proofread and copyedit your own work.
- How to secure employment as a proofreader or copyeditor.
- How to start your own proofreading or copyediting business upon completion of the course.
- Current salary information.
- Practice exercises to implement your new skills.
This course is designed for everyone, regardless of education, experience, or background. No matter who you are or what you want to achieve in life, gaining proofreading and copyediting skills will improve your written communications, help you think more clearly, and perhaps start you on the road to a brand new career.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More Information
Lesson 1. Introduction to Proofreading and CopyeditingThis lesson describes how you can use proofreading and copyediting skills in your career.
Lesson 2. The Use of Style Sheets and Style Guides in Proofreading and CopyeditingThis lesson defines style guides and sheets and demonstrates their importance in copyediting and proofreading.
Lesson 3. Finding the Appropriate Style GuidesThis lesson explains different style guides available and their importance in relation to the content you are proofreading.
Lesson 4. How to Create and Use a Style SheetThis lesson describes how to create and use a style sheet as a copyeditor or proofreader.
Lesson 5. Proofreaders' Marks and How They Are Used to Copyedit and ProofreadThis lesson describes what proofreaders' marks are and how to use them to copyedit or proofread bodies of work.
Lesson 6. Your Job as a ProofreaderThis lesson outlines the tasks performed by a proofreader.
Lesson 7. How to ProofreadLearn how to be an efficient and capable proofreader.
Lesson 8. Proofreading PracticeThis lesson contains proofreading practice exercises and assignments.
Lesson 9. The Job of a CopyeditorThis lesson defines the individual tasks that a copyeditor completes when editing a body of work.
Lesson 10. How to CopyeditLearn how to copyedit different types of content (copy). Additional tips on being an effective copyeditor.
Lesson 11. Copyediting PracticePractice being a copyeditor with these lesson assignments and exercises.
Lesson 12. How to Copyedit or Proofread Your Own WorkLearn how to successfully copyedit and proofread your own work.
Lesson 13. Copyediting or Proofreading as a CareerKnow the skills and education required to work as a proofreader or copyeditor within a company or as a freelancer.
Lesson 14. Final ExamFinal Exam
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- Describe the use of style sheets and style guides in proofreading and copyediting.
- Demonstrate matching the appropriate style guides for various project types.
- Demonstrate how to create and use a style sheet.
- Describe proofreaders' marks and how they are used to copyedit and proofread.
- Describe your job as a proofreader.
- Demonstrate basic proofreading skills.
- Describe the job of a copyeditor.
- Demonstrate basic copyediting skills.
- Describe methods for copyediting and proofreading your own work.
- Summarize copyediting or proofreading career opportunities, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Assignment 1: Proofreading and Copyediting||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 1 Exam||Exam||9|
|Assignment 2: Style Sheets and Style Guides||Assignment||40|
|Lesson 2 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 3: Print and Online Style Guides||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 3 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 4: Creating Style Sheets||Assignment||45|
|Lesson 4 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 5: Proofreaders' Marks||Assignment||40|
|Lesson 5 Exam||Exam||9|
|Assignment 6: Proofreader's Responsibilities||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 6 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 7: Proofreading Tips||Assignment||40|
|Lesson 7 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 8: Proofreading Practice||Assignment||45|
|Lesson 8 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 9: Copyeditor Job Types||Assignment||40|
|Lesson 9 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 10: Copyediting Newspapers and Magazines||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 10 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 11: Copyediting Practice||Assignment||40|
|Lesson 11 Exam||Exam||7|
|Assignment 12: Copyediting Your Own Work||Assignment||40|
|Lesson 12 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 13: Education and Skills of Proofreader/Copyeditor||Assignment||40|
|Lesson 13 Exam||Exam||10|
- "The extra add on that the instructor included at the end of each lesson that we could printout and save for future fererence. Course was well organized." -- Helaine R.
- "I found the practice exercies to be most helpful....I learned a lot from this course. It was great." -- Stephanie C.
- "This course got me on my way to a proofreading and editing career." -- Suzanne N.
- "Thank you. This class helped me to start working towards a copyediting career. :0)" -- Laurie W.
- "What was most helpful was finding out what I need to know to pursue this work. I also liked the simplifed, organized presentation(s) on what skills need to be acquired; the netlinks; and the practice in proofreading/copyediting." -- Patricia S.
- "I found all parts of this helpful since I am a beginner in proofreading." -- Yolanda A.
- "The proofreading practice using marks was the most useful in preparing me for a job." -- Gillian P.
- View More Testimonials...