| || || |
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery).
UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
| || |
Speed reading provides you with the tools and information you need to improve not only the speed that you read, but your comprehension and concentration as well. Speed reading will also provide you with effective tools that you can use when you're in a pressure reading situation.
Throughout the course, you will find a number reading passages to test your words per minute reading rate as well as your comprehension abilities. A number of drills are also provided so that you can retrain your eyes and expand your vision, which is an essential skill for reading at a much faster rate. Far too many people still read at the same rate they were taught in elementary school and speed reading will help you to break your elementary reading habits.
Additionally, you will learn how to break other bad habits that are slowing you down. This includes subvocalization, using your fingers while you read, and reading aloud or under your breath. These are bad habits that many people have developed from poor reading skills and never being taught more effective reading habits. When you learn to speed read, you are able to break these bad habits and improve your reading rate as well as your comprehension of the material.
Many people believe that speed reading requires months of training and that you need to work with someone specialized in speed reading. However, with just a few minutes of practicing each day, you are able to improve your reading level, improve your reading rate and comprehension, all on your own.
Request More Information
Have a question? Contact us for more information.
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Summarize the need for speed reading and who can benefit from it.
- Describe why we read slowly & your first time trial.
- Demonstrate jogging techniques to improve your reading speed.
- Demonstrate moving from a job to running in reading speed.
- Demonstrate sprinting through your reading.
- Use techniques to better retain and comprehend reading material.
- Describe proper hand movements in speed reading.
- Implement speed reading into everyday life.
- Describe ways to maintain your reading rate, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Lesson 1: Why Learn to Speed ReadIntroduction
Benefits to Speed Reading
How Speed Reading Can Help Your Career
Unlearning Your Style of Reading
Lesson 2: Why We Read Slowly & Your First Time TrialNot Having Enough Time to Read
Your First Time Trial
Figuring Your Reading Rate
Comprehension Test #1
Lesson 3: How to Jog through Your ReadingWhat Your Eyes do when you Read
Lesson 4: Take Your Reading from a Jog to a RunPreview Your Reading
Elimination Visual Regressions, Progressions and Distractions
Lesson 5: Sprint through Your ReadingReading Drill 1
Reading Drill 2
Vocalization: It Slows You Down
Lesson 6: Comprehending and Remembering What You ReadComprehension Challenge
Comprehension Test #2
Figuring Your Reading Rate
Using Tools to Improve Your Concentration
Lesson 7: Hand Movements in Speed Reading & Helpful TechniquesPointing
Slow Page Turning
Lesson 8: Implementing Speed Reading into Everyday LifeSpeed Reading Business Communication
Speed Reading Email
How to Speed Read a Web Site
Managing Your Mail
Lesson 9: Maintaining Your Reading RateReading Time and Comprehension Test #3
Figuring Your Reading Rate
Tips for Keeping Your Reading Rate Up
|Course Title ||: ||Speed Reading 101 |
|CEU Value ||: || |
|Standard ||: || |
Course Adheres to the ANSI/IACET 1-2007 Standard
|Accreditation ||: || |
|Languages ||: ||English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries |
|Course Number ||: ||7550418 |
|Course Type ||: ||How To |
|Course URL ||: || |
|Course Rating ||: || |
|Instructor ||: || |
|Syllabus ||: || |
|Grading Policy ||: || |
Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive a CEU Certificate documenting CEUs earned
|Assessment Method ||: || |
Lesson assignments and review exams
|Duration ||: ||Continuous: Enroll anytime! |
|Requirements ||: ||View Technical Requirements |
|Course Fee ||: || |
Basic Course: $35.00 (no CEU Certificate)
| || || |
Choose from 5 Secured Payment Methods
| ||Credit Card Online || ||Credit Card through FAX |
| ||Check/Money Order through Mail || ||Credit Card over the Phone |
| ||PayPal || |
|To use any of these methods you must press the "Join this Course" button on this screen and go through the online registration process in order to generate the correct order form and correctly process your enrollment. All financial information is secured and encrypted using Verisign-approved SSL during transmission. |
- "This course helped me in many ways I didn't think I could improve. I would encourge anyone who is having difficulty reading and or comprehending what they read to take this course." -- Alyssa M.
- "The instructor was very knowledgeable and did a great job answering my emails." -- Margaret L.
Other Related Classes in English
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures Most of us learned spelling and grammar in elementary school and brushed up on the rules occasionally in junior high or middle school. Once we entered high school, it was assumed we knew and remembered all of the essentials -- and slowly we discovered t...
- Gregg Shorthand 101 Gregg Shorthand is the most widely used system of its kind in the world. It is used by millions of professionals from all walks of life in nearly every country worldwide. This system of shorthand is the most efficient of any other type created, it is con...
- Typing and Keyboarding 101 Today, knowing how to type fast is almost a necessity in the business world. More and more corporate-world employees are being asked to create reports, sales letters, business plans, blogs, web content, forecasts and more. Knowing how to type can sav...
- Enhance Your Everyday Vocabulary Have you ever been reading a newspaper or listening to a commentary and been confronted with a word you didn't know -- like for instance, plethora ? Over the years, you've seen and heard this word 20 times but you don't quite manage to remember the defi...
- Time Management 101 Managing time effectively is fundamental to success. It also factors into achieving balance in our lives. Today, we're busier than ever--at work and at home. Having enough time for things that are important, things we want or need to do, or even to have ...
- Punctuation and Grammar 101 Do you need a refresher course in basic punctuation and grammar? Is your business writing, school writing or personal writing a disaster and you're tired of stressing over mistakes? Improper grammar and punctuation is a sign for some people, right or w...
- Writing Improvement 101 We know that effective writing will help students in their coursework but it's equally important to write well in the workplace. If a job interviewer is considering two qualified candidates, the candidate who can write well will have the edge. If you're ...
- Vocabulary Building Are you interested in building your vocabulary? Do you feel that your writing or your speaking vocabulary is below average? The purpose of Vocabulary Building is to beef up your everyday vocabulary with words that you could use in everyday conversation. ...
- Essay Writing 101 Essays are a vital part of writing, both in academic circles and in many professions. Being able to write good essays is a rare ability and those that can demonstrate a mastery of this writing form will quickly distinguish themselves from those who write...
- How to Write a Grant Proposal Did you realize that you are most probably an experienced grant writer already? NO , you say, I've never written a grant in my life before -- but you have. Most people out there have asked somebody, at some time, for something in writing (one way ...
- How to Improve Your Memory It's surprising how much of a memory is built around things unnoticed at the time. - Barbara Kingsolver, novelist Memory is one of the most basic and important functions of the human brain. In fact, without memory we can't learn. Most peo...
- Business Math 101 This course takes you through an overview of the wonderful world of business mathematics. The course is designed for a person of any age and anywhere in the world. All that is required of the learner are a computer, a connection to the internet, a c...
- English Composition 101 Acquiring and developing the fundamentals of English composition is a vital skill that can be used in a variety of settings and situations. Being able to competently compose an essay and organize a thesis is not only useful in academic environments, but ...
- ABCs of Technical Writing Technical writing is the art and science of translating technical information into readable, accessible writing usable by a wide audience. If you have ever read the user's manual for a piece of software or equipment you've purchased, you've seen technica...
- Memory and Concentration Techniques Memory, concentration, focus, communication, problem solving and relationships all interconnect and interact to give us the information we need to function properly in the everyday world. T his course will focus on these topics and explore how memory wo...
- Resume Writing 101 One of the most important and intimidating steps in the job search process is writing a solid resume that gets the attention you want and need. Unfortunately, many job seekers get overwhelmed before they even get started. The result is poorly-written res...
- Mediation 101 The individual who pursues a career as a mediator can look forward to a job that is personally satisfying and financially rewarding. With its emphasis on fairness and cooperation, this career is an ideal choice for those who are empathetic and want to ...
- How to Improve Your Concentration Concentration is a part of our daily lives. We concentrate on our work and our life situations, either consciously or subconsciously. Is focus the same as concentration, and if not why are the terms often used so interchangeably? Why can some of us re...
- Speed Writing 101 Speedwriting is for anyone out there who needs to write faster. You may be a student struggling frantically to make sense of the lectures that you attend, but your method of taking notes only seems to capture about one-third of the material that is prov...