Online Class: Legal Secretary 101
with CEU Certificate*
The field of law for a secretary is one of the best positions to have in the world of office work. A good legal secretary will, quite frankly, never be out of work. It is a high paying job with many rewards and benefits. Salary ranges for legal secretaries can enter the three digit range in some parts of the world, particularly
For those who lack experience, the trick is often getting your "foot in the door," this course will show you how. For those who have experience, it is often difficult to become "unstuck" and earn what you feel you deserve, this course will sharpen your skills so that you may either request a raise or be prepared to move on to another firm or sole practitioner who pays more.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More Information
Lesson 1: The Law Office TeamIn order for a law office to operate efficiently, a team of qualified professionals must be present and working together toward a common goal.
Lesson 2: The Legal Secretary's Duties and Great Tools for Accomplishing ThemA legal secretary's duties may include preparing documentation, filing, scheduling appointments, and dealing with clients on a daily basis; however, there is much more to the job than that.
Lesson 3: Essential Information: Large, Medium, Small, and Sole Practitioner FirmsMany law offices, no matter the size, will have some similarities. However, there is a great deal of difference in the manner of doing business from one size firm to another. These guidelines will point out how different sized offices work and how they d
Lesson 4: The ComputerNo matter what type or size firm you want to work for, you will have to have a specific set of computer skills before you will be hired anywhere. If you have already been working for a small firm and desire to move up or to a larger firm, these skills ap
Lesson 5: Client FilesMost firms will devote a large portion of their office space to client files; after a brief period of working in a law office, you will quickly learn why. Paperwork collects rather quickly in the field of law. Letters, briefs, interrogatories, mot
Lesson 6: Legal DocumentationThere are a multitude of legal forms, and it is beyond the scope of this course to include them all; however, we have included a sample of a basic format of a Motion to Dismiss, along with a sample of what the cover letter for such a document would lo
Lesson 7: Client Contact GuidelinesWhile the receptionist of larger or medium-sized firms may be the first person a client or visitor meets, the secretary is nearly always the liaison between attorney and client. In many cases, you will find yourself in direct contact with the client quite
Lesson 8: Basic Organization GuidelinesWith the excessive amounts of paperwork involved in the practice of law, it is vital to keep things in order as you work.
Lesson 9: Legal and Business CorrespondenceThe most common method of getting data from your attorney to secretary, in most offices, is via the use of a transcription device.
Lesson 10: Indispensable Legal Secretary AidsThere are several other tools that you will find to be indispensable in getting the job done quickly and accurately. This lesson describes these tools in greater detail and gives you some tips on using them properly.
Lesson 11: Important Legal DocumentsWhile you will see a multitude of legal documents in your career as a legal secretary, there are a few that are used often in the majority of settings and offices. This lesson will introduce you to those that are frequently used, sometimes on a dail
Lesson 12: Legal Document PreparationIn addition to typing documentation, preparing it for sending is a large part of a legal secretary's position.
Lesson 13: Becoming a Notary PublicMany legal documents must be notarized, and there are usually one or more persons who work in a law office who are certified to notarize documents.
Lesson 14: Wills and Power of AttorneyThis lesson will cover some of the basics of wills and powers of attorney.
Lesson 15: Sole Proprietorship, Partnership, and Incorporation FormationWhile partnerships and sole proprietorships may be created without the assistance of an attorney, incorporation formation is rarely done without legal assistance.
Lesson 16: Real Estate LawBecause real estate law is such a major part of legal work, this lesson covers basic information on the subject and offers frequently encountered terminology found within the specialization.
Lesson 17: Law Office Equipment and SuppliesMost of the equipment and supplies discussed in this lesson are common for all offices; however, there are some that are specific to law offices.
Lesson 18: Office PoliticsThis lesson will give you some insight into potential political issues that may arise within a law office and how best to handle them.
Lesson 19: Electronic ResearchResearch is such a large part of legal work that this lesson is devoted to the use of electronic research exclusively.
Lesson 20: Basic Legal Terminology GlossaryThis lesson provides some basic definitions of common terms and words that you will encounter on the job.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- Describe the law office team.
- Describe the legal secretary's duties and great tools for accomplishing them.
- Summarize essential information.
- Describe how to properly file, store, and retrieve Client Files.
- Describe legal documentation process.
- Describe client contact guidelines.
- Describe basic organization guidelines.
- Summarize procedures for dealing with legal and business correspondence.
- Describe procedures for handling important legal documents.
- Describe legal document preparation.
- Describe wills and power of attorney procedures.
- Describe real estate law procedures.
- Describe law office equipment and supplies.
- Describe dealing with office politics, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Assignment 1: Roles of the Law Office Team||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 1 Exam||Exam||9|
|Assignment 2: Skills of the Legal Secretary||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 2 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 3: Legal Firms||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 3 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 4: Email Etiquette for Legal Secretaries||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 4 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 5: Importance of Client Files||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 5 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 6: Cover Letter and Motion to the Appellate Division Form||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 6 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 7 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 8: Responsibilities of Legal Secretary||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 8 Exam||Exam||9|
|Assignment 9: Correspondence to Judges and Clerks||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 9 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 10 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 11: Briefs||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 11 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 12 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 13: Notary Public||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 13 Exam||Exam||8|
|Assignment 14: Basics of Power of Attorney||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 14 Exam||Exam||9|
|Assignment 15: Incorporation||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 15 Exam||Exam||9|
|Assignment 16: Real Estate Law||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 16 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 17 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 18 Exam||Exam||10|
|Assignment 19A: Electronic Research Aids||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 19 Exam||Exam||9|
|Assignment 20A: Legal Terminology||Assignment||20|
- "I like the fact that it is totally thorough." -- Azile R.
- "Congratulations for a job well planned and done. It has been a pleasure for me to be part of your class. Thanks for the encouragement and support." -- Elizabeth L. J. L.
- "The entire course was very helpful in a very compelling way and I loved it all....I would encourage the instructor to continuing her hard work to reach out to those who will use their ability to make this course successful as it has been." -- Richard C.
- "I enjoyed this course very much. The information was invaluable, the instructor was easy to talk to and seemed very informed in information. Even though I am still a Front Desk Receptionist and am not really using the information on a daily basis right now, it will be valuable to have taken this course as I continue to study in preparation to becoming a Legal Secretary. This course has really helped me become familiar with the law office setting and has helped me be able to understand the legal office and it's functions. " -- Jean C.