- OR -
with CEU Certificate*
with CEU Certificate*
Start Right Now!
Taking multiple courses? Save with our platinum program.
1.5 CEUs :: 15 Contact Hours :: Self-Paced :: Instructor Support :: 6 Month Subscription
Gregg Shorthand is the most widely used system of its kind in the world. It is used by millions of professionals from all walks of life in nearly every country worldwide. This system of shorthand is the most efficient of any other type created, it is considered the easiest to learn, use and read, it is simple, straightforward and elegant in design. As the Gregg system evolved, since its inception in 1888, it has become even easier to learn over the years.
This course addresses the newest version of Gregg Shorthand, which is the second edition “Simplified.” You will find that by learning this system of shorthand that your work will become much easier and the knowledge you have obtained will give you valuable access to numerous positions in the business world.
There are ten comprehensive lessons written in an easy to follow, informative manner.
Lessons will contain the following elements:
- Introduction to the Lesson: "Introduction"
- The Lesson body broken down by topic: “Learn It”
- Lesson Conclusion: “Conclusion”
- Practice writing and audio activities following each lesson
- Brief lesson review quiz
- Highlighted key terms, checklists, exercises, and Web site resources will be threaded throughout the entire course when and where appropriate and necessary.
Making full use of this course, in its entirety, is the first step in getting more of what you want in life and business.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Introduction to Gregg ShorthandThis introductory lesson will go over what you will need to begin this course.
Lesson 1 - First Shorthand StrokesThis first lesson will cover a great deal of material which will teach you basic first shorthand strokes that are the foundation for future shorthand work. Gregg shorthand is not just a lot of squiggly pen or pencil strokes, it is a method of abbreviating
Lesson 2 - Useful Shorthand DevicesThis lesson covers devices that make writing shorthand much easier and more fluid as you progress in your study. There are several brief forms covered as well as useful word beginnings and endings. Amounts and quantities will be discussed and how to repre
Lesson 3 - Nine More Shorthand StrokesIn lesson three you will learn nine more new shorthand strokes. Additionally you will learn more brief forms, the word ending --ther and how to use W in the body of a word, among other things. If you have been practicing writing your newly learned knowled
Lesson 4 - Six New Alphabetic CharactersIn Lesson Four you will learn six new shorthand strokes! You will also learn the combination of the letters T, E and D, more about the omission of minor vowels, the days of the week, the months of the year, cities and states and many other usful shorthand
Lesson 5 - Useful Word Beginnings and EndingsIn lesson five you will cover only two new strokes. When you complete this lesson five only two strokes remain to be learned in the Gregg shorthand alphabet. In this lesson you will mostly learn many new word beginnings and endings. Study them well and pr
Lesson 6 - The Remainder of the Gregg Alphabet topicsThis lesson will complete the Gregg shorthand alphabet. We will cover letter combinations of -Den, -Ten, -Tain, -Dem, and --Tem, useful phrases, special business forms, Omissions and other Derivations, Words Beginning Incl-, Post-, Super-, Supr- and Trans
Lesson 7 - Abbreviating Devices topicsLesson Seven has its focus on learning new shorthand abbreviating devices. These devices will allow you to write more quickly than you have before. There are many word beginnings and endings covered in this lesson, most of which apply themselves to large
Lesson 8 - The Home Stretch topicsLesson Eight will primarily cover the omission of certain words in phrases, two new groups of brief forms, four word beginnings and endings as well as more shorthand devices for compound words, numbers and special shorthand combinations. At this juncture
Lesson 9 - The Final Shorthand Devices topicsOnce you have completed this lesson you will have covered all of the Gregg Shorthand devices there are. You have come very far and you are now at the final lesson. Keep practicing and continue to work on learning proper comma usage as well. In lesson nine
Lesson 10 - Developing Your Skill; Practice Material and ReviewThis final Gregg Shorthand lesson will provide a review. Each review section will present you with a paragraph/business letter or two focused on the lesson in which the strokes were taught. For example, in the Lesson one review a paragraph of shorthand wi
Average Lesson Rating: (536 votes)
15 Contact Hours
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Course Title: Gregg Shorthand 101
Course Number: 33894
Languages: English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries
Course Type: How To
CEU Value: 1.5 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)
CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).
Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earned
Assessment Method: Lesson assignments and review exams
Course URL: shorthand.onlineclasses.com
Instructor: UniversalClass Staff Instructor
Syllabus: View Syllabus
Duration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!
Requirements: View Technical Requirements
Course Fee: $70.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $95.00
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate shorthand strokes.
- Demonstrate basic writing using shorthand.
- Use shorthand to record verbal conversations.
- Recognize word beginnings and endings to speed up writing.
- Describe methods for developing shorthand skills, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Practice Activity A||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 1 Practice Activity B||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 1 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 2 Practice Activity A||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 2 Practice Activity B||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 2 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 3 Practice Activity A||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 3 Practice Activity B||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 3 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 4 Practice Activity A||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 4 Practice Activity B||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 4 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 5 Practice Activity A||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 5 Practice Activity B||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 5 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 6 Practice Activity A||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 6 Practice Activity B||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 6 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 7 Practice Activity A||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 7 Practice Activity B||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 7 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 8 Practice Activity A||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 8 Practice Activity B||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 8 Exam||Exam||9|
|Lesson 9 Practice Activity A||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 9 Practice Activity B||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 9 Exam||Exam||10|
|Putting it all together: Translating a Newspaper Article||Assignment||10|
|Putting it all together: Translating a TV Talk Show||Assignment||10|
- General Secretary 101$70.001.0 CEUs
- Interview Skills$60.001.0 CEUs
- Management Essentials$60.000.7 CEUs
- Running Effective Meetings$50.000.7 CEUs
- Microsoft Project 2013$60.001.0 CEUs
- Microsoft Visio 2013$65.001.0 CEUs
- Microsoft Publisher 2013$65.001.0 CEUs
- ABCs of English Grammar$65.001.5 CEUs
- Communication with Diplomacy and Tact$60.000.5 CEUs
- Managing Your Career$60.000.6 CEUs
- Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Writing Structures$90.002.9 CEUs
- Resume Writing 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Speed Writing 101$60.001.0 CEUs
- Legal Terminology 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Effective Communication 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Writing Improvement 101$90.001.3 CEUs
- Basic Research Skills$55.001.0 CEUs
- Memory and Concentration Techniques$80.002.0 CEUs
- Virtual Assistant 101$65.001.4 CEUs
- PowerPoint 2007$65.001.0 CEUs
- Administrative Assistant 101$65.001.2 CEUs
- How to Write a Grant Proposal$75.001.5 CEUs
- Business Writing Basics$75.001.9 CEUs
- Spelling 101$55.001.5 CEUs
- Punctuation and Grammar 101$70.001.2 CEUs
- Speed Reading 101$60.000.9 CEUs
- How to Improve Your Concentration$59.001.0 CEUs
- Effective Presentations$60.001.1 CEUs
- Memory Improvement$65.001.1 CEUs
- Leadership and Supervision 101$75.001.0 CEUs