How to Teach Reading Fundamentals
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this course
Course DescriptionReading is the process of absorbing the written word. Whether in English or another language, reading is an essential part of communication between human beings. Reading comprehension is the ability to process, think through and connect ideas that are expressed on paper.
Reading may be achieved through a variety of methods and techniques that best suit individual learners and students of all ages and levels. This reading basics course is designed to help students increase their reading speed as well as their ability to comprehend content, directions, and absorb materials for retention. Whether a student is taking this course to increase reading skills as a second or foreign language or by native English speakers wishing to increase their comprehension of a wide variety of materials, students will be introduced to different techniques and materials to do so.
Whether a student needs to increase his or her comprehension for work environments, pleasure, or school, styles of approach, engagement, as well as the potential of using a wide variety of resources and tools are explored in this course. From learning the basics of reading comprehension such as decoding and retention to understanding how vocabulary is created and using the Internet to improve reading skills, this course offers students a basic and solid foundation in reading multiple types of materials for a wide range of daily living scenarios and needs.Understanding the difficulties that may face many students, as focused on helping students gain the most from their reading experiences, this reading basics course is designed to encourage students to excel in their reading adventures and endeavors.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: Introduction to Reading BasicsThis lesson will introduce students to the reading basics course and to the importance of literacy in today's society.
Lesson 2: Reading Comprehension BasicsIn order to accurately understand the written word, individuals must be able to make connections between what is read and what is known, to be able to think about what has been read, and to interpret what has been read.
Lesson 3: Components of ReadingThis lesson is going to focus on the various components of reading that relates to three areas: decoding, comprehension, and retention of the written word.
Lesson 4: Understanding WordsThis lesson will illustrate and provide examples of root words and the use of prefixes and suffixes that are added to base words or word stems to create new words with different meanings, or to enhance description.
Lesson 5: Vocabulary BuildingThis lesson will help students find techniques that will them build vocabulary usage, comprehension, and structure, which will not only increase reading comprehension, but the ability to communicate in a wide variety of scenarios.
Lesson 6: Reading for the American WorkplaceThis lesson will focus on how reading in the workplace is often necessary for the completion of simple tasks and complex business needs.
Lesson 7: Using the Internet to Improve Reading SkillsFor students wishing to improve their reading skills these days, there is nothing better than the Internet to provide a wide range of opportunities, resources, and links to find anything from beginning readers to literature passages.
Lesson 8: English Grammar BasicsThis lesson will very briefly discuss various aspects of English grammar, such as nouns, verbs, adjectives, and how they are combined to form complete and cohesive sentences.
Lesson 9: Reading Basics for ESL LearnersThis lesson will focus on helping students learning English as a second language, as well as those striving to improve their comprehension to learn how to gain greater clarity from written materials.
Lesson 10: Improving Reading SkillsThis lesson will briefly describe several techniques to help improve reading skills and comprehension for all reading levels, ages, and abilities.
Lesson 11: Reading DifficultiesThis lesson will briefly cover identifying and dealing with a variety of reading difficulties.
Lesson 12: Get the Most From Your Reading AdventuresThis last lesson of our basic reading course will recap the main focus and topics of previous lessons and hopefully encourage students to always find something fun and engaging about the reading process.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: How to Teach Reading FundamentalsCourse Number: 7550417Languages: English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: General EducationCEU Value: 1.1 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsCourse URL: readingfundamentals.onlineclasses.comInstructor: Daphnee St.ValSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $35.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $60.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe what reading comprehension is and how to recognize the need for improvement.
- Describe the basic components of reading.
- Describe the teaching concepts behind understanding words.
- Summarize strategies for building vocabulary.
- Describe how to teach English grammar basics.
- Summarize teaching strategies for ESL readers.
- Describe other methods for improving reading skills.
- Recognizing and adjust for reading difficulties, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
An Introduction Assignment 5 Lesson 1 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 1 Exam Exam 9 Lesson 2 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 2 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 3 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 3 Exam Exam 9 Lesson 4 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 4 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 5 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 5 Exam Exam 9 Lesson 6 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 6 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 7 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 7 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 8 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 8 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 9 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 9 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 10 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 10 Exam Exam 10 Lesson 11 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 11 Exam Exam 7 Lesson 12 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 12 Exam Exam 9 The Final Exam Exam 56 Total Points: 474
- "Excellent class - Liked the fact that I could move at my own pace." -- Susan P.
- "Thanks, Great Job! What was most helpful was the clear ways in which the information was presented." -- Deborah H.
- "All parts were very helpful. I was familiar with some of them, so I found them easy. However, I am sure that a least knowledgeable person would find the course way more difficult and extremely helpful." -- Loredana G.
- "The Instructor's prompt grading and replies kept me motivated. The section on using SQ3R was extremely practical. I also appreciated the links to other resources provided in each Lesson. These links will come in handy in the future." -- Anthony F.
- "All of the information was helpful, easy to work through and understand and a wide arrange of info to learn about. Better then I expected by far! Instructor was great at doing things quickly and input was good." -- Janelle S.