Drug and Alcohol Abuse 101
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this course
Course DescriptionDrug and Alcohol Abuse: Awareness, Counseling and Prevention is a comprehensive course that addresses the problems of drug abuse across the spectrum, including the latest thinking about prevention and awareness. This course provides an understanding of the origins and current status of drug use, and includes special notations addressed to a person who may be experiencing problems with substance abuse. This curriculum is a valuable tool for teachers, parents, students and workers, as well as someone seeking help for him or herself.
The course also covers assessment, intervention, rehabilitation and recovery, and includes a list of helpful resources. For anyone who has an interest in any aspect of drug and alcohol abuse, this course can prove to be a very beneficial tool. So join us today!
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Feedback
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: Drug and Alcohol Abuse -- Awareness, Counseling, and PreventionAn introduction to the causes, consequences, and solutions related to the persistent culture of addiction in today's society.
Lesson 2: Availability of DrugsYou may wonder how illegal drugs end up in the hands of kids. Old films showed us seedy characters in dark trench coats offering evil drugs to innocent children.
Lesson 3: Why Do Humans Abuse Substances?People choose to alter their consciousness for hundreds of reasons. The use of drugs and alcohol to get high is not a new phenomenon, even though today's choices may be more varied.
Lesson 4: Dependence and AddictionIt is important to know that addiction has been studied extensively. Abuse of substances does not necessarily imply addiction.
Lesson 5: Effects of Use and Dependency -- Potential Social Consequences of Substance AbuseIt could be argued that abuse of substances is a personal choice. If an individual chooses to compromise his or her own health and quality of life, can we just take the attitude of "live and let live?"
Lesson 6: Prevention in the HomeIn this course, we will touch on programs and methods that have been deemed most successful by schools and parenting organizations.
Lesson 7: SchoolsApproximately 80 percent of our country's public school systems have implemented some kind of drug prevention program. Many have been discontinued due to budget cuts, and some have been eliminated because they simply have not worked.
Lesson 8: Workplace PreventionOf the 20.4 million adults classified with substance dependence or abuse, 12.3 million (60.4 percent) were employed full-time.
Lesson 9: Assessment and InterventionAssessment involves a number of questions about drug and alcohol use, including current use and use in the past, as well as the level and consistency of use.
Lesson 10: TreatmentWhen we can accept that addiction is actually a disease, we can approach its treatment much like we would approach treating other chronic diseases, like diabetes or asthma.
Lesson 11: Following UpRecovery does not end when rehab is over. There is a high rate of relapse after rehabilitation, and rehab clinicians and counselors are aware of the odds.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Drug and Alcohol Abuse 101Course Number: 7550481Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: General EducationCEU Value: 0.7 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsInstructor: Dr. Deirdre MithaugSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $65.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $90.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe drug and alcohol abuse -- awareness, counseling, and prevention.
- Summarize availability of drugs.
- Describe why humans abuse substances.
- Summarize dependence and addiction.
- Summarize effects of use and dependency -- potential social consequences of substance abuse.
- Describe prevention in the home.
- Summarize schools and drug use.
- Summarize workplace prevention techniques and policies of drug use.
- Determine assessment and intervention of drug abusers.
- Determine drug abuse treatment.
- Summarize following up techniques, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
An Introduction Assignment 1 Lesson 1 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 1: Introduction - Drug and Alcohol Abuse: Awareness, Counseling and Prevention Exam 9 Lesson 2 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 2: Availability of Drugs Exam 10 Lesson 3: Why do Humans Abuse Substances? Exam 10 Lesson 4 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 4: Dependence and Addiction Exam 9 Lesson 5: Effects of Use and Dependancy - Potential Social Consequences of Substance Abuse Exam 10 Lesson 6 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 6: Prevention in the Home Exam 10 Lesson 7: Schools Exam 10 Lesson 8 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 8: Workplace Prevention Exam 10 Lesson 9: Assessment and Intervention Exam 10 Lesson 10 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 10: Treatment Exam 9 Lesson 11 Assignment Assignment 25 Lesson 11: Following Up Exam 10 The Final Exam Exam 52 Total Points: 335
Choose Your Subscription PlanCourse OnlyOne Course
No Certificate / No CEUs$65for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate X Includes CEUs X Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 courseCertificate CourseOne Course
Certificate & CEUs$90for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 coursePlatinum YearlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$189per yearYou save 50%!Billed once
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 12 Months No. of courses 500+Platinum MonthlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$59 first month$29.00 / each consecutive month thereafterBilled monthly
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete Monthly No. of courses 500+
- "I had taken a similar course years ago in college and that is one reason I took this course to not only catch up on anything new that might be available in this topic but also to see if I could do an online course, I found the whole course very helpful the information was good and up to date." -- Nancy D.
- "Information was written in down to earth terms. Instructor was very, very helpful in that she graded assignments in a very timely fashion, better than any online class that I have taken before." -- Carol B.
- "This course was extremely helpful and resourceful, it help me especially because I have a close friend who is a drug addict, addicted to IV heroin, cocaine and prescription pills. Helping me understand and giving me excellent advice! My Instructor was extremely accommodating and helpful to me and taught the course very well. Thank you I enjoyed it very much!" -- Dayna M.
- "This course provided a lot of important information and I am very satisfied." -- Jennifer S.
- "This class was AWESOME! I loved everything about this class. I learned so much from it as well. Most excellent!" -- Donna N.
- "This course was broken down in different sections that made it easy and very helpful to understand....Learned a lot and instructor was very helpful." -- Johnathon Y.
- "The course was excellent and the instructor graded my assignments and exams quickly." -- Cheryl S.