with CEU Certificate
This is an overview of autism spectrum disorders for teachers and paraprofessionals. We will examine the psychological, physiological, social, and educational characteristics of individuals who have been identified as having autism, pervasive developmental disorder, Rett's disorder, Asperger's syndrome and childhood disintegrative disorder.
The first half of this course will focus on definition, diagnosis, causes, intervention and program planning. The second half of this course will examine specific intervention strategies (involving ABA, TEAACH Model, and Self-Regulation). The last few lessons will also instruct on how to create learning goals, short term and long-term objectives, the IEP form and creating a lesson plan for students with Autism.
By the end of the course, the student will demonstrate knowledge and skills related to:
1. The definition and characteristics of learners with autism spectral disorders2. Causes and prevalence of autism3. Assessment and education placement options for individuals who are considered in need of special education services4. Intervention strategies5. How to create learning goals and objectives6. Become familiar with the IEP form7. Become familiar with the process of creating a lesson plan for students with Autism
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: IntroductionThis introduction will go over course goals.
Lesson 2: Definition and Characteristics of AutismThis lesson will provide current articles and research that focus on the definitions and characteristics of Autism Spectrum Disorders.
Lesson 3: Causes of AutismThis lesson will provide current articles and research that focus on different theories of the causes of autism.
Lesson 4: Diagnosis and Assessment of AutismDiagnosis and Assessment Procedures will be the lesson focus.
Lesson 5: How to Write Short-Term ObjectivesThis lesson will focus on how to write objectives.
Lesson 6: How to Write Long-Term GoalsWriting goals for students with autism.
Lesson 7: How to Write an IEPHow to write an IEP for a student with autism.
Lesson 8: How to Write a Scripted Lesson PlanThis lesson will focus on how to write a scripted lesson plan.
Lesson 9: Types of Intervention StrategiesThis lesson will summarize some intervention strategies.
Lesson 10: ABA and Positive Behavior SupportsThis lesson will provide current articles and research that focus on the intervention approach ABA and PBS.
Lesson 11: TEACCH ModelStructured teaching of the TEACCH Model will be described.
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Recognize and describe the characteristics of learners with autism spectral disorders.
- Describe the causes and prevalence of autism.
- Describe the diagnosis and assessment of autism.
- Demonstrate writing short-term objectives and long-term goals.
- Demonstrate writing an IEP.
- Demonstrate writing a Scripted Lesson Plan.
- Describe various types of intervention strategies.
- Describe ABA and Positive Behavior Support systems.
- Define the TEAACH Model, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 2 Assignment: ASD Fact Sheet||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 3 Assignment: Causes of Autism||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 4 Assignment: Diagnosis and Assessment of a Case Study||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 5 Assignment: Instructional Objectives||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 6 Assignment: STOs and Long Term Goals||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 7: Write an IEP||Assignment||50|
|Lesson 8 Assignment: Scripted Lesson Plan||Assignment||50|
|Lesson 9 Assignment: Research a Strategy||Assignment||40|
|Lesson 10 Assignment: What Can You Use in Your Classroom?||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 11 Assignment: Debate a Strategy||Assignment||20|
- Early Childhood Development 101$70.000.8 CEUs
- Behavior Management 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Problem Solving Strategies$60.000.6 CEUs
- Building Self-Esteem in Children$60.001.0 CEUs
- Autism 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Reading Comprehension 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Learning Disabilities: What You Need to Know$80.001.0 CEUs
- Personality Development$60.001.4 CEUs
- Attention Deficit Disorders: ADD and ADHD$60.001.0 CEUs
- How To Be a Substitute Teacher$80.001.0 CEUs
- First Grade Curriculum$65.001.0 CEUs
- Second Grade Curriculum$65.001.0 CEUs
- Childhood Obesity$54.001.0 CEUs
- Basic Parenting 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Emotional and Behavioral Disorders$80.000.9 CEUs
- Autism Spectrum Disorders for Teachers$80.000.9 CEUs
- How to Teach Reading Fundamentals$60.001.1 CEUs
- Applied Behavior Analysis Strategies for Teachers$85.001.0 CEUs
- Child Psychology 101$60.001.0 CEUs
- Special Education 101: Foundations, Purpose, & Challenges$70.003.0 CEUs
- Special Education: Foundations, Behavior, Curriculum, Instruction, and Evaluation$110.003.0 CEUs
- Special Ed: Effective and Significant Approaches$55.000.9 CEUs