Domestic violence, sometimes called domestic abuse, is reaching epidemic proportions and affects men, women and children of all races and social and economic levels. In order to stem the tide of domestic abuse we have to not only stop the abuse and protect the victims, we also have to understand what triggers the abuse so that the next generation of families can learn to live abuse-free.
Course topics will include:
- What is Domestic Violence?
- Who are the Victims?
- Recognizing the Signs of Domestic Violence
- Why Victims Stay with Abusers
- How You Can Help Victims of Domestic Abuse
- Legal Issues such as: PFA's and PRO's
- What the police and courts can and can't do
- Handling divorce and custody issues
- How to Keep Safe such as: Safety Measures for yourself and your children
- Escape plans in case you need to flee
- Understanding who to turn to in an emergency
- The After-Effects of Domestic Abuse
- Moving On: Relationships After Abuse
- The fall-out for families
- Steps to take for success
- Helping Domestic Abuse Survivors
- Stopping the Cycle of Abuse
- Stopping Abuse Forever