Online Class: Catering 101
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this courseLoading...
If you are the kind of person who...
- thrives on cooking for your friends,
- wants everyone to come to your house for dinner,
- feels like you have more party food ideas than you could ever possibly execute in your own home
...then you might want to start your own catering business.Caterers cook and transport food for other people's parties. Unlike restaurants where all the cooking and serving happens at the same location, caterers have the added logistical challenge of transporting food from their kitchen to the party venue.
Caterers work closely with their clients to develop a menu and a party plan that meets their clients' desires and budget. To be a successful caterer, you must have business savvy, be great at dealing with people, and able to handle stress. Additionally, you'll need be an excellent cook as well as be creative, organized and efficient. Some caterers have several of these qualities when they start out, but they have to develop the others as they go along.
This course discusses in detail the critical aspects of management involved in running a catering business like how to get the appropriate licenses and permits, what kind of kitchen you need, basic food safety practices, party planning, cooking for a crowd, planning meals, dealing with customers, understanding how to price your services, and moving the food safely from one location to another.
If you are passionate about food and you feel like you have what it takes to start your own catering business, this course can help you understand the critical steps involved in starting off on the right foot.
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
- Completely Online
- Instructor Feedback
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Request More InformationHave a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: What Is Catering?Unlike a restaurant, which prepares food in the same location that it will be served, caterers generally cook the food in one place, and take it to a party venue to be served.
Lesson 2: State and Local RegulationsMost areas of the country require that people who are cooking for others, do so in a commercial kitchen. Specific requirements vary among states and counties.
Lesson 3: Food SafetyFood safety is a critical issue, and it deserves a whole course of its own, but this section presents some basic food safety guidelines.
Lesson 4: Business PlanningA business plan is like an outline that describes your business. In the beginning, there will be some issues you aren't sure how to answer.
Lesson 5: Getting StartedBefore you quit your day job, make a detailed analysis of what all your startup costs will be.
Lesson 6: MarketingFor a catering business, marketing means letting people know you are out there, making sure they understand what kind of events you do and what you want to do, and ensuring they are able to find you when they want you.
Lesson 7: Party PlanningIn the early days of your business, most clients are likely to be friends and family members with whom you already have a relationship, and who will only be so hard on you if something goes awry.
Lesson 8: Meal PlanningMeal planning can seem like an overwhelming task, but once you understand the occasion, the venue, and its limitations, the most important thing is what the customer wants.
Lesson 9: ShoppingThe contract is signed, the menu is ready, and you are about to go shopping. As a professional caterer, you are armed and ready with an extensive list of everything you need, organized by the store in which you plan to buy it.
Lesson 10: Timing and Kitchen EfficiencyThe more efficient you make your work processes, the less time it takes. The less time it takes, the more profitable you can be.
Lesson 11: Logistics: Getting the Food to Its Destination on TimeThere are two ways catered food can arrive at its final destination: either the caterer takes it, or the customer picks it up.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
Course Title: Catering 101Course Number: 7550523Languages: English - United States, Canada and other English speaking countriesCourse Type: How ToCEU Value: 0.5 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earnedAssessment Method: Lesson assignments and review examsInstructor: UniversalClass Staff InstructorSyllabus: View SyllabusDuration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!Requirements: View Technical RequirementsCourse Fee: $50.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $75.00
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Define what is catering.
- Summarize state and local regulations.
- Describe food safety.
- Describe the business planning process for successful catering business.
- Summarize getting started techniques and procedures for your catering business.
- Identify marketing techniques for a successful catering business.
- Describe party planning and the role of catering.
- Summarize meal planning.
- Identify shopping needs for a successful catering company.
- Summarize timing and kitchen efficiency for a successful catering.
- Recognize logistics in a successful catering business, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
An Introduction Assignment 1 Lesson 1. Introduction. What is Catering? Exam 10 Lesson 2 Assignment Assignment 2 Lesson 2. State and Local Regulations Exam 10 Lesson 3. Food Safety Exam 10 Lesson 4. Business Planning Exam 10 Lesson 5 Assignment Assignment 2 Lesson 5. Getting Started Exam 9 Lesson 6. Marketing Exam 10 Lesson 7 Assignment Assignment 2 Lesson 7. Party Planning Exam 10 Lesson 8. Meal Planning Exam 10 Lesson 9. Shopping Exam 7 Lesson 10. Timing and Kitchen Efficiency Exam 9 Lesson 11 Assignment Assignment 2 Lesson 11. Logistics: Getting the food to its destination on time Exam 10 The Final Exam Exam 55 Total Points: 169
- Catering: A Guide to Managing a Successful Business Operation
- Do It for Less! Parties: Tricks of the Trade from Professional Caterers' Kitchens
- How to Start a Home-Based Catering Business, 6th: *Become the top caterer in your area *Organize menus for parties, corporate events, and weddings ...
- Start & Run a Home-Based Food Business
Choose Your Subscription PlanCourse OnlyOne Course
No Certificate / No CEUs$50for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate X Includes CEUs X Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 courseCertificate CourseOne Course
Certificate & CEUs$75for 6 monthsBilled once
This course only
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 6 months No. of courses 1 coursePlatinum YearlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$189per yearYou save 50%!Billed once
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete 12 Months No. of courses 500+Platinum MonthlyALL COURSES
Certificates & CEUs$59 first month$29.00 / each consecutive month thereafterBilled monthly
Includes all 500+ courses
Includes certificate Includes CEUs Self-paced Instructor support Time to complete Monthly No. of courses 500+
- "The entire course was helpful." -- Phyllis B.
- "The instructor was great! I was glad to get the feedback that i did get." -- Nicole D.
- "The course was very helpful. I learned a lot from taking this course." -- Shirley Faye B.
- "The instructor was very responsive and engaged with my progress." -- Sheryl J.
- "I really enjoyed the course, it was very helpful to me. My instructor was very nice...She did her part very well." -- Rochelle J.