with CEU Certificate*
If you are the kind of person who... ...then you might want to start your own catering business.
...then you might want to start your own catering business.
Caterers work closely with their clients to develop a menu and a party plan that meets their clients' desires and budget. To be a successful caterer, you must have business savvy, be great at dealing with people, and able to handle stress. Additionally, you'll need be an excellent cook as well as be creative, organized and efficient. Some caterers have several of these qualities when they start out, but they have to develop the others as they go along.
This course discusses in detail the critical aspects of management involved in running a catering business like how to get the appropriate licenses and permits, what kind of kitchen you need, basic food safety practices, party planning, cooking for a crowd, planning meals, dealing with customers, understanding how to price your services, and moving the food safely from one location to another.
If you are passionate about food and you feel like you have what it takes to start your own catering business, this course can help you understand the critical steps involved in starting off on the right foot.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: What Is Catering?Unlike a restaurant, which prepares food in the same location that it will be served, caterers generally cook the food in one place, and take it to a party venue to be served.
Lesson 2: State and Local RegulationsMost areas of the country require that people who are cooking for others, do so in a commercial kitchen. Specific requirements vary among states and counties.
Lesson 3: Food SafetyFood safety is a critical issue, and it deserves a whole course of its own, but this section presents some basic food safety guidelines.
Lesson 4: Business PlanningA business plan is like an outline that describes your business. In the beginning, there will be some issues you aren't sure how to answer.
Lesson 5: Getting StartedBefore you quit your day job, make a detailed analysis of what all your startup costs will be.
Lesson 6: MarketingFor a catering business, marketing means letting people know you are out there, making sure they understand what kind of events you do and what you want to do, and ensuring they are able to find you when they want you.
Lesson 7: Party PlanningIn the early days of your business, most clients are likely to be friends and family members with whom you already have a relationship, and who will only be so hard on you if something goes awry.
Lesson 8: Meal PlanningMeal planning can seem like an overwhelming task, but once you understand the occasion, the venue, and its limitations, the most important thing is what the customer wants.
Lesson 9: ShoppingThe contract is signed, the menu is ready, and you are about to go shopping. As a professional caterer, you are armed and ready with an extensive list of everything you need, organized by the store in which you plan to buy it.
Lesson 10: Timing and Kitchen EfficiencyThe more efficient you make your work processes, the less time it takes. The less time it takes, the more profitable you can be.
Lesson 11: Logistics: Getting the Food to Its Destination on TimeThere are two ways catered food can arrive at its final destination: either the caterer takes it, or the customer picks it up.
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Define what is catering.
- Summarize state and local regulations.
- Describe food safety.
- Describe the business planning process for successful catering business.
- Summarize getting started techniques and procedures for your catering business.
- Identify marketing techniques for a successful catering business.
- Describe party planning and the role of catering.
- Summarize meal planning.
- Identify shopping needs for a successful catering company.
- Summarize timing and kitchen efficiency for a successful catering.
- Recognize logistics in a successful catering business, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 1. Introduction. What is Catering?||Exam||10|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 2. State and Local Regulations||Exam||10|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 3. Food Safety||Exam||10|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 4. Business Planning||Exam||10|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 5. Getting Started||Exam||9|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 6. Marketing||Exam||10|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 7. Party Planning||Exam||10|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 8. Meal Planning||Exam||10|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 9. Shopping||Exam||7|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 10. Timing and Kitchen Efficiency||Exam||9|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 11. Logistics: Getting the food to its destination on time||Exam||10|
|The Final Exam||Exam||55|
- Catering: A Guide to Managing a Successful Business Operation
- Do It for Less! Parties: Tricks of the Trade from Professional Caterers' Kitchens
- How to Start a Home-Based Catering Business, 6th: *Become the top caterer in your area *Organize menus for parties, corporate events, and weddings ...
- Start & Run a Home-Based Food Business
- Cooking and Baking 101$60.001.1 CEUs
- Wedding Planning 101$70.001.2 CEUs
- Candle Making 101$60.001.0 CEUs
- Party Planning 101$65.001.4 CEUs
- Tex Mex Cooking 101$55.000.8 CEUs
- Soap Making 101$60.000.7 CEUs
- Cake Decorating 101$60.001.4 CEUs
- Pie Baking 101$60.000.6 CEUs
- Spanish Culture 101$45.001.0 CEUs
- Nutrition 101$90.001.1 CEUs
- Buying and Selling Antiques and Collectibles$55.001.0 CEUs
- Vegetarianism 101: How to Be a Vegetarian$55.000.6 CEUs
- How to Start a Craft Business$70.001.0 CEUs
- Catering 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Spanish Cooking 101$55.000.4 CEUs
- Special Events Planning 101$70.001.4 CEUs
- Italian Cooking 101$55.001.1 CEUs
- Wedding Crafts and Projects$60.000.6 CEUs
- Event Planning 101$75.000.9 CEUs