Online Class: Italian Cooking 101
Since this is a 101 course, the recipes are intentionally uncomplicated. The simplest preparation method has been presented for the benefit of the novice home chef. As you become more adept, you can try more difficult approaches to these recipes. Don't be fooled by the simplicity however, while it is a beginner's course, it has a lot to recommend it to a more accomplished cook as well.
The goal of Italian Cooking 101 is to teach you how to prepare delicious, economical Italian meals at home, with confidence. To get the most out of the course you should cook along with the recipes as often as you can. It is much easier to learn by doing. Don't fret if the meal you've prepared along with the lesson isn't perfect the first time around. As you learn new techniques and experiment with ingredients, your cooking will get better and even more delicious with time. You will soon discover that your Italian food tastes just as good as your favorite restaurant's, minus the extra expense of eating out!
Lesson 1 : Buongiorno! Welcome to the World of Italian Food and CookingItalian is not just pizza and pasta! This lesson will give the student a brief history of Italian food and cooking. It will also include an explanation of why Italian cooking is unique when compared to other Mediterranean and European foods.
Lesson 2 : Pantry Staples for Italian CookingThis lesson will introduce the student to various pantry items, such as seasonings, oils, and foods that make Italian cooking easy any day of the week.
Lesson 3 : Basic Equipment, Simple Cooking Techniques, Meal CoursesThis lesson will explain which kitchen equipment you should have on hand for creating great Italian meals. Some cooking gadgets that are nice to have, but not required for the course, will be described and listed.
Lesson 4 : Easy Italian AppetizersAppetizers are a time-honored tradition when serving an authentic Italian meal.
Lesson 5 : Hearty Italian One-Pot Soup MealsA "one-pot" meal combines protein, vegetables, and carbohydrates all in one dish. Every culture has at least several of these wonderful no-hassle recipes on their list of easy dinner favorites, and Italians are no different.
Lesson 6 : Preparing Perfect PastaNo course on cooking Italian basics would be complete without a lesson on pasta. Also known as "macaroni" to most Italian-Americans, pasta is an important staple in the Italian kitchen.
Lesson 7 : Pasta Sauces and ToppingsThis lesson will teach you how to make sauces and mixtures to accompany the plethora of pastas discussed in Lesson Six.
Lesson 8 : Meat, Chicken, and Fish -- Italian StyleItalians have their own way of preparing meat, poultry, and fish. This lesson will introduce you to the basic and delicious methods of serving these protein portions of a main course.
Lesson 9 : Healthy Italian-Style SaladsSalads are an Italian tradition. Whether a simple salad of dandelion leaves dressed in olive oil and vinegar, or a vibrant combination of seafood, red onions, and celery.
Lesson 10 : Italy's Favorite BeveragesEspresso, cappuccino, lemon soda, full-bodied red wine; these are some of the beverages that are favored by Italians.
Lesson 11 : Creating Sumptuous Italian DessertsFew can resist the delectable espresso and chocolate flavor that permeates the layers of homemade tiramisu or the bright, palette-cleansing taste of lemon Granita.
Course Conclusion And ResourcesYou have completed the Italian Cooking 101 course in its entirety. You are now an official Italian cook.
- Describe pantry staples for italian cooking.
- Summarize basic equipment, simple cooking techniques, and basic meal courses.
- Demonstrate making easy italian appetizers.
- Demonstrate making hearty italian one-pot soup meals.
- Demonstrate preparing perfect pasta, pasta sauces, and toppings.
- Describe cooking meat, chicken and fish italian style.
- Demonstrate making healthy italian style salads.
- Summarize Italy's favorite beverages.
- Create Italian desserts.
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- "This was an excellent course where I learned a great deal about Italian cooking. I tried several of the recipes and have also made plans to try even more of them. Thanks again!" -- Joseph v S.
- "Italian Cooking 101 is one of the best courses I have attended. Thank you all for creating this program, making it fun, interesting, useful, and greatly educational...I am having a very enjoyable time learning new things, and enhancing my skills at Universal Class..." -- Beth T.
- "What a great class. I have learned so much about cooking with healthy and fresh ingredients that it has elevated the quality of my meals. They are more enjoyable and even nice to look at. This was a beneficial course and I will recommend it to friends. Thank you!" -- Stacy H.
- "This is a wonderfully presented course." -- Sylvia O.
- "I liked that the course provided recipes and pictures." -- Joshua F.
- "Very fast feedback once an assignment was completed." -- BJ P.
- "I enjoyed the different recipe options." -- Sharon S.
- "I loved learning how to make great Italian foods, and learning some of the history of some of the dishes" -- Vickie W.
- "The instructor was fantastic. Very professional and very nice. I would highly recommend friends to take the class, so informative." -- MaryAnn C.
- "Wonderful instructor. Loved it all." -- Ellie A.
- 4 hours 0.4 CEUs How to Bake Cookies + More Info
- 10 hours 1.0 CEUs Floral Arrangement 101 + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Spanish Culture 101 + More Info
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Lifetime Wellness 101 + More Info
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Introduction to Gardening + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Healing Affirmations + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Bread Baking 101 + More Info
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs All About Herbs + More Info
- 14 hours 1.4 CEUs Weight Training 101 + More Info
- 9 hours 0.9 CEUs Landscaping 101 + More Info
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Tex Mex Cooking 101 + More Info
- 14 hours 1.4 CEUs Cake Decorating 101 + More Info
- 3 hours 0.3 CEUs Spanish Cooking 101 + More Info