with CEU Certificate*
Whether you are looking for a part-time job, a summer job, work to help you through college, to supplement your family income, or a possible career, working in the restaurant industry as a waiter or waitress can be your answer. This course will discuss all the necessary information for you to learn what the job is about, how to prepare for it, what you need to know, and whether or not you have the personality to do the job well.
Waiting tables is a time-honored tradition that started long ago in England and Europe, and came over to America and continues to this day. At one time, serving others for money used to be viewed as a lower-class line of work. Today there are people who make an excellent living waiting tables, pulling in nearly two thousand dollars a week.
* Instantly download, print, and share your CEU Certificate at course completion (additional shipping/handling charges apply for hard copy delivery). UniversalClass™ offers many wonderful learning tools including an online portfolio service that manages all your course completions and CEUs.
Request More InformationHave a question? Contact us for more information.
Lesson 1: So, You Want to Be a Waiter?Becoming a waitress or a waiter is often as much an accident as it is a choice. Because most positions are on-the-job training, usually all that is required is an opening and a person to fill that opening.
Lesson 2: The Serving StaffAs a waitress looking for a job, you have a fair idea about the questions that will be asked during your interview and how to respond to them. What we will do now is turn the tables on you.
Lesson 3: Types of Service and Table SettingsRestaurants are categorized into three basic types: Fine, Bistro/Trattoria, and Family Style.
Lesson 4: Table ServiceContrary to the average American's understanding, table service is much more than food being brought to your table for a "sit down" meal.
Lesson 5: Taking OrdersEvery establishment has a specific protocol for taking orders from the table and giving them to the kitchen and assembly areas. A new server needs to learn this protocol as quickly as possible in order to be an efficient team member.
Lesson 6: Suggestions and Suggestive SellingAs mentioned earlier in the lessons, one of your jobs as a server is to be a salesperson. You are in the business of selling food and service, and the more you sell, the higher the check at the end of the night.
Lesson 7: Special SituationsServers who intend to make a good living become students of human nature. Learning to read people is a skill anyone can learn.
Lesson 8: Other DutiesSide work duties are time consuming, yet necessary, to the efficient and smooth running of any restaurant. Most people are assigned specific duties so that no one waitress is responsible for every side duty that is necessary.
Lesson 9: Beverage ServiceFor waiters and waitresses who work in such an establishment, your tip can easily be doubled when your party orders alcohol.
Lesson 10: Team WorkPart of an effective establishment is the development of true teamwork and team spirit.
Lesson 11: Sanitation and Food SafetyAccidents happen anywhere, anytime. Your job, when you work in a restaurant situation, is to try to make sure that accidents have less of a chance of actually happening.
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Learning OutcomesBy successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe what the job role of the wait staff is and whether or not this is a job prospect for you.
- Summarize the serving staff.
- Describe types of service and table settings.
- Describe table service.
- Summarize taking orders.
- Demonstrate suggestions and suggestive selling.
- Recognize special situations.
- Describe beverage service.
- Describe team work.
- Demonstrate sanitation and food safety, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1: Qualities of a Waitress||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 1: So, You Want to be a Waitress?||Exam||10|
|Lesson 2: Duties of a Server||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 2: The Serving Staff||Exam||11|
|Lesson 3: Staff Positioning in a Restaurant||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 3: Types of Service and Table Settings||Exam||12|
|Lesson 4: Types of Services in a Restaurant||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 4 : Table Service||Exam||11|
|Lesson 5: Giving and Collecting Orders in a Restaurant||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 5: Taking Orders||Exam||11|
|Lesson 6: Purpose of Suggestive Selling||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 6: Suggestions and Suggestive Selling||Exam||11|
|Lesson 7: Dealing with Unhappy Customers||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 7: Special Situations||Exam||12|
|Lesson 8: Side Work Duties of a Server||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 8: Other Duties||Exam||10|
|Lesson 9: Alcohol Safety||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 9: Beverage Service||Exam||10|
|Lesson 10: Bussing Expediting and Tipping-Out||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 10: Team Work||Exam||12|
|Lesson 11: Hazard Analysis of Critical Control Points||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 11: Sanitation and Food Safety||Exam||11|
|The Final Exam||Exam||47|
- Hotel Management 101$65.000.9 CEUs
- Concierge 101: How to Run a Personal Service Business$60.001.1 CEUs
- Bartending and Mixology 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Weight Training 101$80.001.4 CEUs
- Cooking and Baking 101$60.001.1 CEUs
- Sensitivity Training in the Workplace$70.000.9 CEUs
- Housekeeping 101$75.000.6 CEUs
- Wedding Planning 101$70.001.2 CEUs
- Party Planning 101$65.001.4 CEUs
- Braiding Hair 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Tex Mex Cooking 101$55.000.8 CEUs
- Spanish Culture 101$45.001.0 CEUs
- Fundamentals of Cross-Cultural Communication$60.000.8 CEUs
- Resume Writing 101$60.001.2 CEUs
- Nutrition 101$90.001.1 CEUs
- Etiquette 101$65.001.2 CEUs
- Etiquette for Children and Teens$55.001.0 CEUs
- Vegetarianism 101: How to Be a Vegetarian$55.000.6 CEUs
- Diversity Training 101$75.001.0 CEUs
- Feng Shui 101$80.001.4 CEUs
- Catering 101$65.001.0 CEUs
- Business Math 101$75.001.2 CEUs
- Business Ethics$65.001.1 CEUs
- Managerial Accounting 101$90.001.1 CEUs
- Spanish Cooking 101$55.000.4 CEUs
- Special Events Planning 101$70.001.4 CEUs
- Italian Cooking 101$55.001.1 CEUs
- Travel Agent 101$75.001.2 CEUs
- Kitchen Sanitation 101$95.001.2 CEUs
- How to Write a Grant Proposal$75.001.5 CEUs
- How to Manicure$70.001.1 CEUs
- Employment Law Fundamentals$80.001.2 CEUs
- Workers' Compensation 101$60.001.2 CEUs