Pet Sitting & Dog Walking Business 101
- OR -
with CEU Certificate*
with CEU Certificate*
Start Right Now!
Taking multiple courses? Save with our platinum program.
0Studentshave taken this course
This is a guide to the ins and outs of starting and maintaining a successful pet sitting and pet walking service. Pet sitting and pet walking businesses were almost unheard of a generation ago, but today they are in every major city and most towns. Today's pet owners treat their pets like members of the family and want them to be comfortable, happy and well-exercised. Unfortunately, our busy lifestyles make it difficult for many of us to be able to give our pets everything they need, particularly with demanding work schedules keeping us from being available during the day like we would like.Pet walkers and pet sitters give pet owners the ideal solution by providing professional care and companionship for their pets during the hours they can't be there. If you're an animal lover, you may have considered this rewarding career path, but it isn't for everyone. You'll also have to have a good head for business, organization skills, dedication and the ability to handle crisis situations with calm and professionalism. There is a great deal to know about running your own business as well – it's not just about your interaction with the animals. It's about working with your human clients, managing a budget and understanding marketing and a business plan.
This course will give you the bones of what to expect and point you in the direction of the resources you'll need to set up your fledgling pet sitting and/or pet walking business. If you read this and know that it's the right job for you, you'll soon be on the way to a career you love!
- Completely Online
- Instructor Support
- IACET CEUs
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
Universal Class, Inc. has been approved as an Accredited Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). In obtaining this approval, Universal Class, Inc. has demonstrated that it complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard which is widely recognized as the Standard of good practice internationally. As a result of their Accredited Provider status, Universal Class, Inc. is authorized to offer IACET CEUs for its courses that qualify under the ANSI/IACET Standard.
Request More Information
Have a question? Check out our FAQ or contact us for more information.
Lesson 1. Is a Pet Care Business Right for You?Evaluating your motivation and talents thoroughly before moving forward on a pet sitting or dog walking business can save you lots of headaches. Headaches in addition to a great deal of time and money invested in what might not be the right business for y
Lesson 2. Preparation and TrainingYou need to be fully prepared and have the proper training before you even think about putting together a business such as a pet sitter or dog walker.
Lesson 3. Business Plans and Protecting YourselfA business plan is a roadmap leading from where you are now to where you want to be with your business. It is essential to have a business plan if you will need to borrow money from a lender for your business; and even if you do not borrow money.
Lesson 4. Professional OrganizationSet up a formalized fee schedule and organize your schedule so that there are no mix-ups. You also do not run late, leaving clients in a bind, these are all part of being professional and reliable.
Lesson 5. Forms Every Pet Sitter and Dog Walker Should HaveThere are numerous forms that you should design on your computer or have made at a print shop so that they look professional and are easy to read and use.
Lesson 6. Equipping Yourself and Your VehicleThis lesson will review how to properly outfit yourself and your car and have the proper gear for any pet care assignment.
Lesson 7. Marketing Your Pet Sitting or Dog Walking ServiceMarketing your business effectively is crucial to your success.
Lesson 8. Meeting Your ClientsAs a dog walker or pet sitter, you will have two very different types of clients to impress; the individuals who are hiring you and also their cherished pets. The initial meeting between you and your potential client is crucial.
Lesson 9. Success Tips for Dog Walkers and Pet SittersThis lesson provides you with some tried and true rules to keep in mind to simplify things for you.
Lesson 10. Keeping it PersonalYou can develop personal relationships with all your clients while still being a professional.
Lesson 11. Handling Difficult ClientsYou will inevitably run into a difficult client. Whether it is over a billing dispute or something serious such as how you handled an emergency situation, you must know how to deal with an irate or dissatisfied customer appropriately
Lesson 12. When You are Ready to Grow!Expansion requires a great deal of commitment and planning. It is crucial to plan carefully and handle the process properly for successful growth.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Course Title: Pet Sitting & Dog Walking Business 101
Course Number: 7550131
Languages: English - United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other English speaking countries
Course Type: How To
CEU Value: 1.2 IACET CEUs (Continuing Education Units)
CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).
Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earned
Assessment Method: Lesson assignments and review exams
Course URL: petsitting.onlineclasses.com
Instructor: Cathleen Chouinard
Syllabus: View Syllabus
Duration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!
Requirements: View Technical Requirements
Course Fee: $65.00 (no CEU Certification) || with CEU Certification: $90.00
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Identify whether a pet care business is right for you.
- Describe preparation and training.
- Summarize business plans and methods for protecting yourself.
- Summarize the forms every pet sitter and dog walker should have.
- Describe equipping yourself and your vehicle.
- Describe marketing your pet sitting/dog walking service.
- Summarize how to find new clients and keep existing ones by keeping it personal.
- Describe handling difficult clients, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
|Lesson 1 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 1 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 2 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 2 Exam||Exam||11|
|Lesson 3 Assignment||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 3 Exam||Exam||11|
|Lesson 4 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 4 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 5 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 5 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 6 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 6 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 7 Assignment||Assignment||25|
|Lesson 7 Exam||Exam||10|
|Lesson 8 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 8 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 9 Assignment||Assignment||15|
|Lesson 9 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 10 Assignment||Assignment||30|
|Lesson 10 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 11 Assignment||Assignment||20|
|Lesson 11 Exam||Exam||8|
|Lesson 12 Assignment||Assignment||10|
|Lesson 12 Exam||Exam||9|
|The Final Exam: How to Start a Pet Sitting/Walking Business||Exam||570|
- "I found the CONCEPT of each lesson most helpful. In each case I was surprised to find there were so many things I had not known about - or perhaps would not have thought of in starting out as a pet sitter. People would say to me, "How much is there to know?" and I would answer, "Have you thought of THIS or THAT?" - and in each case the person would have to answer, "Yes, I had not thought of this or that." I found the form samples most helpful and I certainly learned a lot in the marketing section. Thanks for a great fun course." -- Marion S.
- "All of the lessons explained things in detail." -- Sharon E.
- "It was straight to the point. The key information was there. It was perfect for my needs. Course was brilliant, so perfect it was scary!" -- Brandy N.
- "I found the billing and how to handle different types of animals and about their needs most helpful." -- Mary B.
- "It was all very helpful for me to obtain the knowledge I need to start a dog walking business." -- Arthur B.
- "I found this whole course helpful in many ways and really enjoyed doing this." -- Emily K.
- "I enjoyed taking the course and found it very informative." -- Pamela P.